Author Topic: Tech Support headaches.  (Read 4026 times)

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
Tech Support headaches.
« on: March 05, 2020, 01:23:58 AM »
I've got a piece of software that has been a little skittish for the last day or so but yesterday when I booted up the launcher to try and run it I was only given the install option. So I checked the install directory to make sure I haven't had a Nick moment and deleted it by mistake and it's still there so I contacted support. Had a response from them earlier saying that there is a scan and repair option for that program in the launcher which should fix the issue.

Now can anyone here see the glaringly obvious problem with that suggestion....?

Yep that's right, because as far as the launcher is concerned it hasn't been installed scan and repair isn't available.  Banghead
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster
Re: Tech Support headaches.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2020, 01:26:36 AM »
I've got XP too......... noooo:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2020, 01:34:10 AM »
If you are still on Windows XP you would be better off going on to Linux given you are spend averse...  whistle:

On Windows 10 over here.  :thumbsup:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2020, 04:54:25 AM »
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2020, 04:54:45 AM »
I've got a piece of software that has been a little skittish for the last day or so but yesterday when I booted up the launcher to try and run it I was only given the install option. So I checked the install directory to make sure I haven't had a Nick moment and deleted it by mistake and it's still there so I contacted support. Had a response from them earlier saying that there is a scan and repair option for that program in the launcher which should fix the issue.

Now can anyone here see the glaringly obvious problem with that suggestion....?

Yep that's right, because as far as the launcher is concerned it hasn't been installed scan and repair isn't available.  Banghead

PICNIC...?  whistle:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2020, 05:04:17 AM »
No, looking at the user forums this has been an intermittent issue with the launcher for a while now.  rubschin:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2020, 05:30:12 AM »
No, looking at the user forums this has been an intermittent issue with the launcher for a while now.  rubschin:

Of course, of course... pathead:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2020, 05:39:13 AM »
Well if you can figure out how logging out of the program and then trying to launch it again a few hours later causes it to decide it hasn't been installed then by all means dazzle us with your brilliance...  ::)

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2020, 05:48:42 AM »
Well if you can figure out how logging out of the program and then trying to launch it again a few hours later causes it to decide it hasn't been installed then by all means dazzle us with your brilliance...  ::)

I need to let you figure it out yourself... If I just tell you the answer every time you'll never learn anything...  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2020, 10:44:29 AM »

I need to let you figure it out yourself... If I just tell you the answer every time you'll never learn anything...  noooo:
happy001 happy001
That old face-saver.  :thumbsup:
I mostly despair

Online Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2020, 12:08:56 PM »
Well, whatever, nevermind

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2020, 12:10:09 PM »

happy001 happy001

Thumbs: Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2020, 01:28:03 PM »

happy001 happy001

Thumbs: Thumbs:

Old buckethead must be getting on in years if he's forgotten I've worked with techies long enough to know that line is only used to cover themselves when they haven't got a clue...  lol:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2020, 01:17:52 PM »
Another response from tech support and I'm at a loss as to how this even has anything to do with the ticket I raised..

Does my machine have the minimum spec? YES
Are my drivers up to date? YES
Do I have a controller plugged in? NO

What's next? Have I tried switching my computer off and then restarting it?  Banghead

Even if the minimum spec or driver questions were a no, that wouldn't explain why their launcher decided that the program had vanished into the ether despite still being on the bloody SSD.  Banghead

There is a simple question to ask here. How does the launcher know that the program is installed in the first place? My guess is either a registry entry or a file with a flag in it. So either send me the regedit instructions or the file and directions as to where it needs to go and stop with the unrelated steps you gormless cockwombles.  cussing:

I'm half tempted to just ask for a copy of their departmental manual so I can stop going though useless stages but I suspect that would just give me an edition of the Dummies Guide to Tech Support.  noooo:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2020, 01:44:00 PM »
Another response from tech support and I'm at a loss as to how this even has anything to do with the ticket I raised..

Does my machine have the minimum spec? YES
Are my drivers up to date? YES
Do I have a controller plugged in? NO

What's next? Have I tried switching my computer off and then restarting it?  Banghead

Even if the minimum spec or driver questions were a no, that wouldn't explain why their launcher decided that the program had vanished into the ether despite still being on the bloody SSD.  Banghead

There is a simple question to ask here. How does the launcher know that the program is installed in the first place? My guess is either a registry entry or a file with a flag in it. So either send me the regedit instructions or the file and directions as to where it needs to go and stop with the unrelated steps you gormless cockwombles.  cussing:

I'm half tempted to just ask for a copy of their departmental manual so I can stop going though useless stages but I suspect that would just give me an edition of the Dummies Guide to Tech Support.  noooo:

To be fair (having worked in tech support), 98% of calls are from morons so they have the first lie of support people you have to work through who just read the 'basics' script before passing you onto somebody that can actually solve your problem.

Many, many years ago I remember getting a call from a secretary in the City who couldn't get the CP/M Wordstar system we had sold her to work. It took me a few minutes to realise that she hadn't actually plugged it in and switched it on... facepalm:

It was actually a common thing in the early days of IT; secretarts really didn't like having their IBM Golfball replaced with a 'putor and shouted and screamed down the phone at the first sign that it wasn't performing as promised... ::)
Pro Skub  Thumbs: