Disgusterous

Author Topic: Tech Support headaches.  (Read 4028 times)

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
Re: Tech Support headaches.
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2020, 02:05:33 PM »
I can accept that but this issue is something that has happened on a large scale previously and while it looks like that isn't the case now (at least the user forums and news aren't commenting as such). Plus when I sent the ticket I also included a list of the steps I had already taken to narrow down the cause (checking internet settings, hardware settings, install directory, regedit, updates etc. plus running similar software in order to see if there was a problem with them as well). You would think that would allow them to bypass the initial steps instead of rehashing everything again.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2020, 02:12:44 PM »
I can accept that but this issue is something that has happened on a large scale previously and while it looks like that isn't the case now (at least the user forums and news aren't commenting as such). Plus when I sent the ticket I also included a list of the steps I had already taken to narrow down the cause (checking internet settings, hardware settings, install directory, regedit, updates etc. plus running similar software in order to see if there was a problem with them as well). You would think that would allow them to bypass the initial steps instead of rehashing everything again.

Oh noes... I doubt if they even read it...  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2020, 02:20:14 PM »

And now you can see why I'm so bloody frustrated on top of the 24+ hour response rate from them.  Banghead

If it wasn't for the fact I have this thing installed on it's own SSD and there isnt enough space for a second installation I'd just reinstall from scratch. Plus I'm reluctant to download 70-80Gb again just yet on the offchance that this is an easily fixable issue.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2020, 07:30:12 PM »

To be fair (having worked in tech support), 98% of calls are from morons so they have the first lie of support people you have to work through who just read the 'basics' script before passing you onto somebody that can actually solve your problem.

Many, many years ago I remember getting a call from a secretary in the City who couldn't get the CP/M Wordstar system we had sold her to work. It took me a few minutes to realise that she hadn't actually plugged it in and switched it on... facepalm:

It was actually a common thing in the early days of IT; secretarts really didn't like having their IBM Golfball replaced with a 'putor and shouted and screamed down the phone at the first sign that it wasn't performing as promised... ::)
I saw what you did there.  :thumbsup:
I mostly despair

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2020, 07:33:29 PM »

To be fair (having worked in tech support), 98% of calls are from morons so they have the first lie of support people you have to work through who just read the 'basics' script before passing you onto somebody that can actually solve your problem.

Many, many years ago I remember getting a call from a secretary in the City who couldn't get the CP/M Wordstar system we had sold her to work. It took me a few minutes to realise that she hadn't actually plugged it in and switched it on... facepalm:

It was actually a common thing in the early days of IT; secretarts really didn't like having their IBM Golfball replaced with a 'putor and shouted and screamed down the phone at the first sign that it wasn't performing as promised... ::)

lol: lol:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2020, 06:09:25 AM »

lol: lol:
lol: lol: lol: redface:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2020, 04:42:26 PM »

I was being optimistic and hoping that they would read the original ticket each time but alas you are correct (came as a hell of a shock to me as well  eeek: ). Having specifically explained that the program has it's own dedicated SSD and that there isn't enough space on there to use the reinstall option what glorious bit of advice did I get from them today..............? Yep, you guessed it. Reinstall the program over the original install site and it will detect and reactivate the original installation.  Banghead

Then a couple of minutes later they also emailled me a tech support customer satisfaction survey link.....

rubschin:

rubschin:

rubschin:

rubschin:

I wonder how long I can resist the urge.....  Sinister:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2020, 01:52:43 PM »
Sod it I've had enough, deleted the original install and starting from scratch again.

Oh joy, the launcher is estimating a 13 hour install duration.  Banghead

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2020, 02:55:26 PM »
Sod it I've had enough, deleted the original install and starting from scratch again.

That quick eh?

Best make a gallon of coffee
Well, whatever, nevermind

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2020, 03:15:52 PM »

Gubbed...  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2020, 11:10:42 PM »

Gubbed...  noooo:

Working properly again but given that this is a known problem with the launcher that they still haven't been able to diagnose or patch previously I have my doubts that I won't be repeating the process again sometime in the near future...  noooo:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2020, 11:29:41 PM »
But less than 13 hours though  :thumbsup:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2020, 11:42:06 PM »
A little shy of 10 hours. 

To put that into perspective there are a coupe of PC games I play, the last one I downloaded came in at just over 105Gb and I was able to download that in just over 4 hours.  Banghead

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2020, 10:47:00 AM »

To put that into perspective there are a coupe of PC games I play, the last one I downloaded came in at just over 105Gb and I was able to download that in just over 4 hours.  Banghead
Just staggering that 105GB, and to think once upon a time gamers were satisfied with the size of program you could store on a C90 cassette tape

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2020, 01:14:01 PM »

Just staggering that 105GB, and to think once upon a time gamers were satisfied with the size of program you could store on a C90 cassette tape

Well graphics have come along way:

to