Author Topic: The All New Book & DVD Review Thread (And Gift Hints)  (Read 411147 times)

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Re: The All New Book & DVD Review Thread (And Gift Hints)
« Reply #3210 on: March 24, 2020, 06:58:36 PM »
Advice needed in these tough times...

Shall I watch:

The Way Back
The Gentlemen
Onward
Spenser Confidential

Tonight...?  rubschin:
rubschin:

Spenser Confidential seems to have the best plot but the worst reviews.  None seem to be totty laden

Watch a pizza burning instead?

The Gentlemen had decent audience feedback when we had it on although the numbers weren't overly inspiring.  rubschin:

I'm going for that!  Thumbs:
Just seen it's a Guy Richie film so  :thumbsup:

and of course Popcorn:

OMG! It is sensational!  eeek:

Hugh Grant (the Remoaner Bastard) is brilliant... Great story...  Thumbs:

Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #3211 on: March 24, 2020, 09:37:43 PM »
 :thumbsup:  ta

rubschin:  £9.99 on Amazon, not yet available on Sky

Well, whatever, nevermind

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #3212 on: March 25, 2020, 04:19:30 PM »
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #3213 on: March 25, 2020, 06:52:16 PM »
Gonna watch The Man from U.N.C.L.E.

Sensational!

A brilliant mix of James Bond, The Man from U.N.C.L.E. (obvs.) and Mission Impossible (TV Series, not the short-arse movie)...  cloud9:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #3214 on: March 25, 2020, 08:16:41 PM »

Sensational!

A brilliant mix of James Bond, The Man from U.N.C.L.E. (obvs.) and Mission Impossible (TV Series, not the short-arse movie)...  cloud9:
:thumbsup:  Another Guy Richie

Trying to remember if we watched it or not  redface:.  Mrs K says probably, I'm thinking probably not, just the trailer.  Will just have to watch it again

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #3215 on: March 26, 2020, 08:42:51 AM »

Sensational!

Trying to remember if we watched it or not  redface:.  Mrs K says probably, I'm thinking probably not, just the trailer.  Will just have to watch it again

i think we are going to work through his entire collection at this rate...  Thumbs:

Revolver and RocknRoller next...
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #3216 on: March 26, 2020, 08:44:26 AM »

Sensational!

i think we are going to work through his entire collection at this rate...  Thumbs:

Don't forget King Arthur: Legend of the Sword  whistle:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #3217 on: March 26, 2020, 08:47:11 AM »

Sensational!

And get a lad in...?  rubschin:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #3218 on: March 26, 2020, 08:49:55 AM »

Sensational!

And get a lad in...?  rubschin:

Sorry that was a mistype, ignore the Don't at the start of that post.  whistle:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #3219 on: March 26, 2020, 08:51:19 AM »

Sensational!

rubschin:

His two Sherlock Holmes films were imho great yarns, brilliantly filmed and directed.  A shame that Robert Downey then became so big in Avengers films as I guess that's what stopped a third.  I've heard rumours there will be one but not directed by Richie  noooo:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #3220 on: March 26, 2020, 08:52:28 AM »

Sensational!

rubschin:

His two Sherlock Holmes films were imho great yarns, brilliantly filmed and directed.  A shame that Robert Downey then became so big in Avengers films as I guess that's what stopped a third.  I've heard rumours there will be one but not directed by Richie  noooo:

I could be nothing but I have heard rumours that Downey wants to direct the third one himself.  rubschin:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #3221 on: March 26, 2020, 08:56:31 AM »
 rubschin:  off to google

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #3222 on: March 26, 2020, 09:03:38 AM »

Sensational!

rubschin:

I could be nothing but I have heard rumours that Downey wants to direct the third one himself.  rubschin:
Dexter Fletcher (who he?) apparently

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2094116/

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #3223 on: March 26, 2020, 09:09:25 AM »
Just had a quick look and I think I know how the rumour started. There is an Empire article with the headline "Dexter Fletcher Will Direct Sherlock Holmes 3 With Robert Downey Jr" that could make people think they are directing it between them.

I remember watching Fletcher in Press Gang when I was a kid. Was your usual kids fare kind of drama with him and Julia Sawalha about a school newspaper, but there was one stand out episode that I can still remember one scene from even now where he is trapped after an explosion in a shopping centre trying to get to someone he can hear crying for help only to find that he's hearing her voice through a broken pipe and she is on another floor.

He's underrated and very talented as an actor and given the response to Rocketman I'd say he has his director's chops as well.  rubschin:

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster
« Reply #3224 on: March 26, 2020, 09:50:18 AM »
Just had a quick look and I think I know how the rumour started. There is an Empire article with the headline "Dexter Fletcher Will Direct Sherlock Holmes 3 With Robert Downey Jr" that could make people think they are directing it between them.

I remember watching Fletcher in Press Gang when I was a kid. Was your usual kids fare kind of drama with him and Julia Sawalha about a school newspaper, but there was one stand out episode that I can still remember one scene from even now where he is trapped after an explosion in a shopping centre trying to get to someone he can hear crying for help only to find that he's hearing her voice through a broken pipe and she is on another floor.

He's underrated and very talented as an actor and given the response to Rocketman I'd say he has his director's chops as well.  rubschin:

I remember that .... Thumbs: