Author Topic: The All New Book & DVD Review Thread (And Gift Hints)  (Read 410444 times)

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
Re: The All New Book & DVD Review Thread (And Gift Hints)
« Reply #2505 on: August 06, 2017, 10:49:02 AM »
Got roped into seeing Valerian the other night, in short that's 2 hours of my life I'll never get back again.  noooo:

In a bit more detail, like all Luc Besson films it's visually stunning. Unfortunately in order to cover the special effects budget the scriptwriting and casting departments had to make to with a fiver and whatever they could find down the back of the sofa.

The 2 lead 'stars', Cara Delab Delavu Delave dozy model who looks like her eyes would light up if you shone a torch in her ear and clearly went to the David Beckham school of acting. Then there is the completely forgettable supposedly up and coming male lead who I suspect their next role will include the line "Do you want fries with that?" are useless. Despite playing a role that is supposed to be a combination of James Bond and Han Solo manages to give a performance that makes Ed Milliband look charismatic.

The much advertised role given to Rhianna was clearly crowbarred in just so they could say she was in it although I did like the irony of her character plummeting to her death down a garbage chute, a perfect mirror of her acting career.

The plot, such as it was, could have easily been condensed into 20 minutes although I'd say it was still 19 minutes too long and somehow manages to make Ed Wood and Uwe Boll films seem like cinematic classics. Maybe if I'd grown up reading the comics it would have been a better experience but somehow I doubt it.

lol: lol: lol:

Excellent review!  :thumbsup:

Unless something goes wrong I'm planning on watching this on Wednesday  :thumbsup:

http://youtu.be/yIUube1pSC0

Interesting...  rubschin:

...and reminds me, we have a Blondie tribute coming to Cyprus next year.... Drool:

The film first got my attention after all the furore about having to have a female James Bond when Daniel Craig said he was leaving the role. I've always thought that casting the role shouldn't be governed by being able to tick a box but by who is best for the part. If you want to show equality then start a new franchise off in a similar vein and make it a success for it's own merits rather than coast along on something that has long been established.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2506 on: August 06, 2017, 11:09:37 AM »
Got roped into seeing Valerian the other night, in short that's 2 hours of my life I'll never get back again.  noooo:

In a bit more detail, like all Luc Besson films it's visually stunning. Unfortunately in order to cover the special effects budget the scriptwriting and casting departments had to make to with a fiver and whatever they could find down the back of the sofa.

The 2 lead 'stars', Cara Delab Delavu Delave dozy model who looks like her eyes would light up if you shone a torch in her ear and clearly went to the David Beckham school of acting. Then there is the completely forgettable supposedly up and coming male lead who I suspect their next role will include the line "Do you want fries with that?" are useless. Despite playing a role that is supposed to be a combination of James Bond and Han Solo manages to give a performance that makes Ed Milliband look charismatic.

The much advertised role given to Rhianna was clearly crowbarred in just so they could say she was in it although I did like the irony of her character plummeting to her death down a garbage chute, a perfect mirror of her acting career.

The plot, such as it was, could have easily been condensed into 20 minutes although I'd say it was still 19 minutes too long and somehow manages to make Ed Wood and Uwe Boll films seem like cinematic classics. Maybe if I'd grown up reading the comics it would have been a better experience but somehow I doubt it.

lol: lol: lol:

Excellent review!  :thumbsup:

Unless something goes wrong I'm planning on watching this on Wednesday  :thumbsup:

http://youtu.be/yIUube1pSC0

Interesting...  rubschin:

...and reminds me, we have a Blondie tribute coming to Cyprus next year.... Drool:

The film first got my attention after all the furore about having to have a female James Bond when Daniel Craig said he was leaving the role. I've always thought that casting the role shouldn't be governed by being able to tick a box but by who is best for the part. If you want to show equality then start a new franchise off in a similar vein and make it a success for it's own merits rather than coast along on something that has long been established.

happ096
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2507 on: August 06, 2017, 07:38:25 PM »
Just watched To The Bone...

...most excellent if somewhat disturbing movie... Difficult to comprehend how such a thing could happen to somebody...  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #2508 on: August 06, 2017, 08:45:39 PM »
Just watched To The Bone...

...most excellent if somewhat disturbing movie... Difficult to comprehend how such a thing could happen to somebody...  noooo:
Maybe one I won't add to the list but others very much back your positive review https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_the_Bone_(film)#Critical_reception

Bit of a thin plot   ;)
Well, whatever, nevermind

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2509 on: August 07, 2017, 07:33:12 PM »
Just watched Going In Style...

Stupidly predictable and cheesy, yet wonderfully heartwarming and enjoyable movie...  cloud9:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #2510 on: August 07, 2017, 08:00:19 PM »

Stupidly predictable and cheesy, yet wonderfully heartwarming and enjoyable movie...  cloud9:
Adds to the list

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2511 on: August 07, 2017, 08:07:33 PM »

Adds to the list

:thumbsup:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #2512 on: August 07, 2017, 08:44:39 PM »
Mrs K is watching Inferno  (the third of the Da Vinci code trilogy)

Utter shite that puts the lie to the adage that there's no bad Tom Hanks film

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2513 on: August 08, 2017, 04:45:28 PM »
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2515 on: August 12, 2017, 04:08:19 PM »
Going to watch The Sense of an Ending...
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #2516 on: August 12, 2017, 04:47:29 PM »
Popcorn:

Looked interesting when it was released.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2517 on: August 12, 2017, 07:42:08 PM »

Absolutely splendid!  cloud9:

Mind you, you can't go wrong with Jim Broadbent...  Thumbs:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #2518 on: August 12, 2017, 10:23:40 PM »

Absolutely splendid!  cloud9:

Mind you, you can't go wrong with Jim Broadbent...  Thumbs:
:thumbsup:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2519 on: August 25, 2017, 04:15:24 PM »
Pro Skub  Thumbs: