Disgusterous

Author Topic: The All New Book & DVD Review Thread (And Gift Hints)  (Read 411122 times)

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Re: The All New Book & DVD Review Thread (And Gift Hints)
« Reply #2490 on: July 30, 2017, 03:48:29 PM »
Watching Wakefield - excellent so far...  Thumbs:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2491 on: July 30, 2017, 05:49:12 PM »
Watching Wakefield - excellent so far...  Thumbs:

Very good...  Thumbs:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2492 on: August 01, 2017, 04:54:03 PM »
Gonna watch Tombstone....
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2493 on: August 01, 2017, 07:09:32 PM »
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
Well, whatever, nevermind

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2495 on: August 02, 2017, 12:56:46 PM »
For Nick...  :thumbsup:

Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2496 on: August 02, 2017, 02:46:55 PM »
Gonna watch Chuck...
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2497 on: August 02, 2017, 07:54:27 PM »
Gonna watch Chuck...

Well, that was sensational....  cloud9:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #2498 on: August 02, 2017, 08:32:43 PM »
Gonna watch Chuck...

Well, that was sensational....  cloud9:
Adds to the list

Interesting story, sad postscript to his boxing career

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #2499 on: August 06, 2017, 09:37:41 AM »
Got roped into seeing Valerian the other night, in short that's 2 hours of my life I'll never get back again.  noooo:

In a bit more detail, like all Luc Besson films it's visually stunning. Unfortunately in order to cover the special effects budget the scriptwriting and casting departments had to make to with a fiver and whatever they could find down the back of the sofa.

The 2 lead 'stars', Cara Delab Delavu Delave dozy model who looks like her eyes would light up if you shone a torch in her ear and clearly went to the David Beckham school of acting. Then there is the completely forgettable supposedly up and coming male lead who I suspect their next role will include the line "Do you want fries with that?" are useless. Despite playing a role that is supposed to be a combination of James Bond and Han Solo manages to give a performance that makes Ed Milliband look charismatic.

The much advertised role given to Rhianna was clearly crowbarred in just so they could say she was in it although I did like the irony of her character plummeting to her death down a garbage chute, a perfect mirror of her acting career.

The plot, such as it was, could have easily been condensed into 20 minutes although I'd say it was still 19 minutes too long and somehow manages to make Ed Wood and Uwe Boll films seem like cinematic classics. Maybe if I'd grown up reading the comics it would have been a better experience but somehow I doubt it.

The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2500 on: August 06, 2017, 09:43:57 AM »
Got roped into seeing Valerian the other night, in short that's 2 hours of my life I'll never get back again.  noooo:

In a bit more detail, like all Luc Besson films it's visually stunning. Unfortunately in order to cover the special effects budget the scriptwriting and casting departments had to make to with a fiver and whatever they could find down the back of the sofa.

The 2 lead 'stars', Cara Delab Delavu Delave dozy model who looks like her eyes would light up if you shone a torch in her ear and clearly went to the David Beckham school of acting. Then there is the completely forgettable supposedly up and coming male lead who I suspect their next role will include the line "Do you want fries with that?" are useless. Despite playing a role that is supposed to be a combination of James Bond and Han Solo manages to give a performance that makes Ed Milliband look charismatic.

The much advertised role given to Rhianna was clearly crowbarred in just so they could say she was in it although I did like the irony of her character plummeting to her death down a garbage chute, a perfect mirror of her acting career.

The plot, such as it was, could have easily been condensed into 20 minutes although I'd say it was still 19 minutes too long and somehow manages to make Ed Wood and Uwe Boll films seem like cinematic classics. Maybe if I'd grown up reading the comics it would have been a better experience but somehow I doubt it.

lol: lol: lol:

Excellent review!  :thumbsup:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #2501 on: August 06, 2017, 10:01:39 AM »

Unless something goes wrong I'm planning on watching this on Wednesday  :thumbsup:

http://youtu.be/yIUube1pSC0
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #2502 on: August 06, 2017, 10:14:32 AM »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The Beeb were somewhat kinder about Cara Delevingne's acting though.  I think they described it as 'adequate'  I can never work out why she's supposed to be the hottest looking totty.  I'd describe her as 'adequate' in the looks dept

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #2503 on: August 06, 2017, 10:36:20 AM »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The Beeb were somewhat kinder about Cara Delevingne's acting though.  I think they described it as 'adequate'  I can never work out why she's supposed to be the hottest looking totty.  I'd describe her as 'adequate' in the looks dept

That might be something to do with the reason the BBC won't let me replace Kermode as a movie critic, I may not be diplomatic enough for their tastes. As for the sisters, apparently they are supposed to look 'edgy'. Personally I think they just look gormless.  noooo:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2504 on: August 06, 2017, 10:36:42 AM »

Unless something goes wrong I'm planning on watching this on Wednesday  :thumbsup:

http://youtu.be/yIUube1pSC0

Interesting...  rubschin:

...and reminds me, we have a Blondie tribute coming to Cyprus next year.... Drool:

Pro Skub  Thumbs: