Disgusterous

Author Topic: Brexit again  (Read 14821 times)

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
Re: Brexit again
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2018, 06:46:02 PM »
Chequers was a punt to find a way through them

I think you'd find that the Irish use Euros these days.  whistle:

Seriously though the EU will not accept any form of soft border. There has to be some kind of customs check either at the border or somewhere in the import/export chain. Unfortunately neither would be accepted by the Irish on either side of the border, both of which see a refusal as a way of getting big concessions from the UK government. If only we could have cut Northern Ireland adrift a hundred years ago  noooo: The Ulster Unionists were a problem then and still are today.
It could well end up with NI (and Scotland) being cut adrift as the demand for plebiscites will increase

The first would be good, the second would just make it all worse
Well, whatever, nevermind

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2018, 11:24:12 PM »

Seriously though the EU will not accept any form of soft border. There has to be some kind of customs check either at the border or somewhere in the import/export chain. Unfortunately neither would be accepted by the Irish on either side of the border, both of which see a refusal as a way of getting big concessions from the UK government. If only we could have cut Northern Ireland adrift a hundred years ago  noooo: The Ulster Unionists were a problem then and still are today.
It could well end up with NI (and Scotland) being cut adrift as the demand for plebiscites will increase

I'm not so sure about Scotland, for all her bluster Sturgeon knows that if she managed to gain independence she isn't guaranteed immediate membership in the EU and her coffers can't cover the increased costs of losing Westminster funding for the interim period (something which could be years as they would have to apply as a new member given that it was the UK not Scotland that had membership previously). 
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2018, 07:47:12 AM »

I'm not so sure about Scotland, for all her bluster Sturgeon knows that if she managed to gain independence she isn't guaranteed immediate membership in the EU and her coffers can't cover the increased costs of losing Westminster funding for the interim period (something which could be years as they would have to apply as a new member given that it was the UK not Scotland that had membership previously).
If we flounce out with no deal then I reckon the EU-27 would find a way to entice Scotland

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2018, 08:25:30 AM »
I hardly think Scotland would need to be enticed.

Nicola Sturgeon is one of those who are happy to stir up trouble over Brexit. Like others, she sees it a way to gain more power.

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2018, 08:34:12 AM »

Nicola Sturgeon is one of those who are happy to stir up trouble over Brexit. Like others, she sees it a way to gain more power.
She wants independence and that 62:38 vote in Scotland to remain gave her not just a massive lever but a serious electoral will to respond to. 

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2018, 09:04:06 AM »

She wants independence and that 62:38 vote in Scotland to remain gave her not just a massive lever but a serious electoral will to respond to.
No doubt someone will remind her that her last independence bid would have resulted in an automatic Scoxit.
To rejoin, the EU would impose fiscal requirements that would turn Scotland into a sunless Greece.
I mostly despair

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2018, 09:45:43 AM »

No doubt someone will remind her that her last independence bid would have resulted in an automatic Scoxit.
To rejoin, the EU would impose fiscal requirements that would turn Scotland into a sunless Greece.
Indeed but in 2014 the EU would have shown prime loyalty to us, no obligation to do same after 2019 and anyway all accession treaties are bespoke so they could and likely would offer Scotland all sorts of fine tuning like letting them keep the Scot £

Interesting to see that Ruth Davidson was threatening to resign over some of the suggested Chequers/Chuckers deal variations. 

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2018, 09:58:52 PM »

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2018, 08:25:14 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2018, 09:59:37 AM »
I see that there is proposition to extend the transition period; from the EU I presume. Watching May announce it you can tell that see that she was going to say a year but she hesitates and says months instead.

We are caught between Ireland and the EU. A rock and a hard place indeed!

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2018, 10:09:05 AM »
I see that there is proposition to extend the transition period; from the EU I presume. Watching May announce it you can tell that see that she was going to say a year but she hesitates and says months instead.

We are caught between Ireland and the EU. A rock and a hard place indeed!
She's running out of wiggle room for sure and this is getting more toxic by the day with Raab now being alleged to have tried a double cross of the back benchers link

Saturday could be an interesting day.

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2018, 12:02:44 PM »

I mostly despair

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2019, 09:07:27 AM »