Disgusterous

Author Topic: Brexit again  (Read 14834 times)

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
Brexit again
« on: September 20, 2018, 11:43:19 AM »
Why do I picture Teresa May returning from Salzburg waving a piece of paper à la Neville Chamberlain  rubschin:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Re: Brexit again
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 11:51:11 AM »
Why do I picture Teresa May returning from Salzburg waving a piece of paper à la Neville Chamberlain  rubschin:

Sadly, it isn't hard to imagine such a turn of events Uncle...  noooo:

Brexit in our time or some such....
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 02:07:58 PM »

I wouldn't give her that much credit.  Chamberlain saved the UK with that rearmament time buying deal yet history has treated him badly for it

May frankly hasn't got a fucking clue what she's doing, why she's doing it, where's she's trying to get to and who she needs to work with to get there
Well, whatever, nevermind

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 03:02:29 PM »

I wouldn't give her that much credit.  Chamberlain saved the UK with that rearmament time buying deal yet history has treated him badly for it

May frankly hasn't got a fucking clue what she's doing, why she's doing it, where's she's trying to get to and who she needs to work with to get there

I suspect that May knows exactly what she is doing. She never wanted to leave the EU but realises that to hold another referendum, regardless of the result, will destroy what tiny shreds of a chance she has of remaining in power at the next election. So instead she's tying us in with the Chequers deal as much as she thinks she will get away with. Then when she does get voted out she can slide into a cushy job somewhere in the EU.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Nick

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 03:18:06 PM »
She has been playing a long game and I suspect there are deals being done in the back rooms.
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 03:22:59 PM »

Yes, an unforeseen consequence of caving in to Hitler. Lets hope there's so unforeseen gain in caving in to the EU.

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 03:41:10 PM »

I suspect that May knows exactly what she is doing. She never wanted to leave the EU but realises that to hold another referendum, regardless of the result, will destroy what tiny shreds of a chance she has of remaining in power at the next election. So instead she's tying us in with the Chequers deal as much as she thinks she will get away with. Then when she does get voted out she can slide into a cushy job somewhere in the EU.
May was always a Leaver

She affected to switch to Remain in 2016 because she thought that was her best route to be PM as she thought Remain would win

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 03:52:12 PM »

May was always a Leaver

She affected to switch to Remain in 2016 because she thought that was her best route to be PM as she thought Remain would win

If May was truly a leaver then she would have had a much better idea of how to implement it from the get go.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2018, 03:53:31 PM »
She has been playing a long game and I suspect there are deals being done in the back rooms.

Indeed, there is so much 'fake news' these days that we really have no idea what is going on...  noooo:

Ultimately, I believe the genie can't be put back in the bottle and even if we leave with BINO it will be the start of a process that ultimately sees us leave completely and possibly the end of the EU too...
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2018, 05:05:58 PM »
It looks like May isn't coming back with a piece of paper after all. I think the Chequers deal is dead and it's time to tell the EU to eff off.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2018, 06:41:20 PM »
It looks like May isn't coming back with a piece of paper after all. I think the Chequers deal is dead and it's time to tell the EU to eff off.

FU EU!  :thumbsup:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2018, 09:17:49 PM »

May was always a Leaver

If May was truly a leaver then she would have had a much better idea of how to implement it from the get go.
What you miss is how incompetent she has always been.  Her hate for the EU comes from her confusing it with the Council of Europe and the latter pointing out that the reason they wouldn't accept her appeal against rulings was she kept getting the paperwork wrong

She really is several pence short of a full pound.  Remember she only got to be PM because Boris, Gove and Dreadsom all bungled their bids

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2018, 11:56:10 AM »
What you miss is how incompetent she has always been.  Her hate for the EU comes from her confusing it with the Council of Europe and the latter pointing out that the reason they wouldn't accept her appeal against rulings was she kept getting the paperwork wrong

She really is several pence short of a full pound.  Remember she only got to be PM because Boris, Gove and Dreadsom all bungled their bids

I wish she stop flogging the dead horse that is the Chequers deal. Nobody but her wants it. And its about time she told the Irish, both north and south that a soft border is out of the question.

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2018, 12:32:36 PM »

I wish she stop flogging the dead horse that is the Chequers deal. Nobody but her wants it. And its about time she told the Irish, both north and south that a soft border is out of the question.
Problem is with no many red lines on all sides there is no deal that works unless someone blinks.  Chequers was a punt to find a way through them

A hard border in Ireland has all sorts of potential secondary consequences neither she nor Arlene Foster have any clear democratic mandate for.  More practically has anyone got the ability to get such through parliament?

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2018, 04:38:44 PM »
Chequers was a punt to find a way through them

I think you'd find that the Irish use Euros these days.  whistle:

Seriously though the EU will not accept any form of soft border. There has to be some kind of customs check either at the border or somewhere in the import/export chain. Unfortunately neither would be accepted by the Irish on either side of the border, both of which see a refusal as a way of getting big concessions from the UK government. If only we could have cut Northern Ireland adrift a hundred years ago  noooo: The Ulster Unionists were a problem then and still are today.