Author Topic: Bloody BBC Bias  (Read 1705 times)

Online Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
Bloody BBC Bias
« on: May 31, 2018, 10:41:10 AM »
Every piece the Beeb does on Brexit seems to be biased towards how bad leaving the EU is going to be. The latest is about how many EU citizens work in the British film special effects industry. Never a positive piece.   noooo:

Update:

Chap from Liverpool (Phil Redman) not going along with the BBC, interviewer not happy.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 10:45:19 AM by Uncle Mort »

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Re: Bloody BBC Bias
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 10:58:32 AM »
Every piece the Beeb does on Brexit seems to be biased towards how bad leaving the EU is going to be. The latest is about how many EU citizens work in the British film special effects industry. Never a positive piece.   noooo:

Update:

Chap from Liverpool (Phil Redman) not going along with the BBC, interviewer not happy.

I never watch or listen to it Uncle...  noooo:

Sometimes we have R2 on in the mornings but I just can't listen to the 'News' for fear of breaking the Google...
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 11:02:30 AM »
Well is the story untrue?  Seems not

Is there any good news to report on Brexit?  Seems not.  FFS even the Brexit mad Express is depressed about the topic https://www.express.co.uk/latest/brexit

So reporting the truth is supposed BBC bias?   noooo:   Here's an awkward fact: no one should ever listen to the news, the media or whatever expecting every story to please them or back their views.
Well, whatever, nevermind

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 02:08:11 PM »

Is there any good news to report on Brexit?  Seems not.  FFS even the Brexit mad Express is depressed about the topic https://www.express.co.uk/latest/brexit

So reporting the truth is supposed BBC bias?   noooo:   Here's an awkward fact: no one should ever listen to the news, the media or whatever expecting every story to please them or back their views.

In what way is it true...?

A quick Google produces a 'Independent' (hahahahaha!) scare story about what might happen after the UK leaves the EU... ::)

Did no Europeans travel to the UK before the EU? Are the likely to stop after Brexit...? Are there no non-European special effects people from outside the EU in the UK...?

A recurring theme is that nothing ever happened prior to the EU stepping in and making everything right. It simply isn't true...

Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Online Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 02:22:09 PM »
Here's an awkward fact: no one should ever listen to the news, the media or whatever expecting every story to please them or back their views.

I don't, but when every story reports one way I begin to doubt the impartiality of the medium.

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 02:46:02 PM »

In what way is it true...? . . .
It's true in many ways, perhaps you didn't read beyond the headline.  You certainly didn't seem to read down to where it said "But others are seeing silver linings" and that wasn't exactly way down the page was it

Essentially the article reports truthfully and somewhat belatedly the concerns various outlets have been reporting (since the Creative Industries Federation held a Brexit conference in March) and then goes on to analyse said concerns and most certainly doesn't conclude it's all one sided

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-44300562

I know some think it's an outrage that the BBC is only a part time broadcast service for Nigel Farage (who has dominated any political reporting on BBC SE) but perhaps they need to be more realistic

A quick Google produces a 'Independent' (hahahahaha!) scare story about what might happen after the UK leaves the EU... ::)

Did no Europeans travel to the UK before the EU? Are the likely to stop after Brexit...? Are there no non-European special effects people from outside the EU in the UK...?

A recurring theme is that nothing ever happened prior to the EU stepping in and making everything right. It simply isn't true...
It simply just never says that.   ::)   The Indy article I read even says "It would be altogether false to hail Brexit as the death knell for creativity"

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 03:03:14 PM »

It's true in many ways, perhaps you didn't read beyond the headline.  You certainly didn't seem to read down to where it said "But others are seeing silver linings" and that wasn't exactly way down the page was it

Essentially the article reports truthfully and somewhat belatedly the concerns various outlets have been reporting (since the Creative Industries Federation held a Brexit conference in March) and then goes on to analyse said concerns and most certainly doesn't conclude it's all one sided

I know some think it's an outrage that the BBC is only a part time broadcast service for Nigel Farage (who has dominated any political reporting on BBC SE) but perhaps they need to be more realistic

It simply just never says that.   ::)   The Indy article I read even says "It would be altogether false to hail Brexit as the death knell for creativity"

Nothing you have posted makes it true... ::)

Nor have you explained how it could possibly have worked prior to the EU...

...or how non-EU personelle manage to live and work in the UK...

Uncle was pointing out that the BBC continually reports these Brexit scare stores as fact when it should be incumbent on them to investigate the story and point out what the real facts are - not what some interested party wants to report as facts.

A few weeks ago we were told (and you agreed) that all flights from the UK would be grounded because a non-EU carriers couldn't possibly fly into the EU. Have all the airlines gone into liquidation at the prospect of being grounded?

No.

Why? Because there is a huge gap between what some anti-Brexit campaigners claim might happen after Brexit (and the BBC dutifully reports) and what is likely to happen in the real world after Brexit (which is what the BBC has a duty to investigate/report).

The Remainer expats here argued that we'd all be chucked out after Brexit but I argued that the Cypriot government would be insane to do so. Guess what the Gov says now...? We can all stay along with our cash, etc.
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Online Nick

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 03:05:22 PM »
Whatever the pros and cons of Brexit it seems to me that the negotiations are an utter clusterfuck, with incompetence on our side and intransigence and authoritarianism in Brussels. This will not end well.
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 03:17:00 PM »

Uncle was pointing out that the BBC continually reports these Brexit scare stores as fact when it should be incumbent on them to investigate the story and point out what the real facts are - not what some interested party wants to report as facts.

A few weeks ago we were told (and you agreed) that all flights from the UK would be grounded because a non-EU carriers couldn't possibly fly into the EU. Have all the airlines gone into liquidation at the prospect of being grounded?

No.

Why? Because there is a huge gap between what some anti-Brexit campaigners claim might happen after Brexit (and the BBC dutifully reports) and what is likely to happen in the real world after Brexit (which is what the BBC has a duty to investigate/report).

The Remainer expats here argued that we'd all be chucked out after Brexit but I argued that the Cypriot government would be insane to do so. Guess what the Gov says now...? We can all stay along with our cash, etc.
So I’m so bad for actually reading articles and not blindly accepting what people tell me they say

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2018, 03:21:34 PM »
Whatever the pros and cons of Brexit it seems to me that the negotiations are an utter clusterfuck, with incompetence on our side and intransigence and authoritarianism in Brussels. This will not end well.
It still could but May has done just about all she can to make getting an acceptable Brexit unlikely by treating big issues and key players trivially

There never is a perfect way forward In, Out or Shaken all about but it doesn’t have to look this worrying

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2018, 03:28:48 PM »

No.

So I’m so bad for actually reading articles and not blindly accepting what people tell me they say

Is that what I said...?
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2018, 10:28:52 PM »
Shrugs: depends what you're referring to

I certainly didn't say what you just said I said.  Not really worth continuing the discussion is it