Author Topic: Laptop repairs  (Read 11284 times)

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
Laptop repairs
« on: December 04, 2017, 05:14:49 PM »
A couple of weeks ago The Brat accidentally dropped some water on her laptop.

It dies a slow and painful death and is now in the PC mortuary hoping to be bought back to life ( depending on whether this is economically viable ).

She was given my old laptop ..today she rings and says she tripped over the charger cable and the laptop went flying. The screen is now killdead !!!

I am trying to remain calm and understanding but my patience is wearing thin. !!!

We are having the hysterics about assignments that have to be in urgently and I have suggested she needs to get her clumsy hoofs to the uni library and work there .

This is one step down from being the end of the world - that button is pressed when the phone 'breaks' .

I am thinking of buying the Fisher Price variety in future  - they can withstand anything  :thumbsup:

I am dreading the quote for repairs  sad32:
Skubber

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
Re: Laptop repairs
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 05:17:24 PM »
I once dropped a cup of hot coffee in my laptop, very uncomfortable but it repaired itself after a while.
I mostly despair

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 05:17:57 PM »

It dies a slow and painful death and is now in the PC mortuary hoping to be bought back to life ( depending on whether this is economically viable ).

She was given my old laptop ..today she rings and says she tripped over the charger cable and the laptop went flying. The screen is now killdead !!!

I am trying to remain calm and understanding but my patience is wearing thin. !!!

We are having the hysterics about assignments that have to be in urgently and I have suggested she needs to get her clumsy hoofs to the uni library and work there .

This is one step down from being the end of the world - that button is pressed when the phone 'breaks' .

I am thinking of buying the Fisher Price variety in future  - they can withstand anything  :thumbsup:

The Boy is the same. I have lost track of the number of phones he has gone through and he too has written off two laptops in two years. Nowadays HE pays.  eveilgrin:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Nick

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 05:18:46 PM »
I once dropped a cup of hot coffee in my laptop, very uncomfortable but it repaired itself after a while.

Spank2: Spank2: Spank2:

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 05:20:03 PM »

The Boy is the same. I have lost track of the number of phones he has gone through and he too has written off two laptops in two years. Nowadays HE pays.  eveilgrin:

Then he claims he has no money for the rest of the term to exist and you end up buying the equivalent laptop value in food and bills  noooo:
Skubber

Offline Nick

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 05:24:55 PM »
Welcome to my world  Banghead Banghead Banghead

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 05:31:01 PM »
Why can't technology be water and idiot proof ?  sad32:
Skubber

Offline Nick

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 05:32:41 PM »
No way to talk about BM  nonono:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 08:50:31 PM »

An old PC monitor plus an RGB cable would have allowed her to use the laptop without having to repair the screen.  :thumbsup:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Nick

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 08:55:52 PM »
There speaks a person who is not a parent or a gerl  noooo: noooo:

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2017, 10:09:03 PM »

An old PC monitor plus an RGB cable would have allowed her to use the laptop without having to repair the screen.  :thumbsup:

Thumbs:

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2017, 10:21:16 PM »
There speaks a person who is not a parent or a gerl  noooo: noooo:

I can just imagine it now ....

" and how on earth am I meant to take that to lectures old woman "

censored:

Not that she is in any position to be critical....she make Mr Bean look sophisticated  noooo:
Skubber

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2017, 11:17:03 PM »
 noooo:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2017, 11:43:43 PM »

:thumbsup:

If that is said laptop really is broken and it's not a ruse to get a MacBook Pro for Christmas

You can get the PC type I use 2nd hand off eBay for ~ £50 with some auctions lower

Well, whatever, nevermind

Offline tel

• Senior Moment
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2017, 12:24:20 AM »
Keep all data on a portable drive.

My niece's laptop died earlier this year, removed thehard drive and extracted all her work from Derby Uni, had a spare hard drive and rebuilt the unit, restored all the data. She very happy. However she is back at Derby and so is my portable hard drive, praying for a return at Xmas. evil:

RTFM