Author Topic: Windows 10 free upgrade offer  (Read 67114 times)

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
Re: Windows 10 free upgrade offer
« Reply #300 on: January 20, 2018, 08:53:51 AM »
Well Windows 10 and indeed Windows days for me are numbered.  Wasn't so much the software but the paucity of decent small PCs to support windows

One iPad Pro being set up as I type.  It will of course not go as well as I hope but then Win 10 didn't either

I'm loving my Asus laptop with Win 10 now... Can't imagine ever going back to a desktop or buying another tablet...

My new phone (phablet really) gives a pretty good mobile experience to complement it...
Twas a bit of an impulse but they just don't make notebooks like this one anymore but it's struggling with bust USB ports etc however in a way buying the iPad is all down to the late Dan Gurney

[digression mode on]

My brother tells me his obit in Autosport is excellent (it is) but I don't buy Autosport but I remembers I did sign up to the every magazine you've ever thought Readly service for my hols and never used it as it's crap on the phone and notebook.  So thinks I read it on Mrs K's vintage iPad and bloody hell it's very good.  Read loads of stuff - Autosport of course but also What Car and Spectator.

So [digression mode off] just had to have one

And the Readly service I was going to kill off will be around a fair bit longer.  Suggest give it the free month trial. 
Well, whatever, nevermind

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #301 on: January 22, 2018, 12:57:38 PM »
Well Windows 10 and indeed Windows days for me are numbered.  Wasn't so much the software but the paucity of decent small PCs to support windows

One iPad Pro being set up as I type.  It will of course not go as well as I hope but then Win 10 didn't either

I'm loving my Asus laptop with Win 10 now... Can't imagine ever going back to a desktop or buying another tablet...

My new phone (phablet really) gives a pretty good mobile experience to complement it...
Twas a bit of an impulse but they just don't make notebooks like this one anymore but it's struggling with bust USB ports etc however in a way buying the iPad is all down to the late Dan Gurney

[digression mode on]

My brother tells me his obit in Autosport is excellent (it is) but I don't buy Autosport but I remembers I did sign up to the every magazine you've ever thought Readly service for my hols and never used it as it's crap on the phone and notebook.  So thinks I read it on Mrs K's vintage iPad and bloody hell it's very good.  Read loads of stuff - Autosport of course but also What Car and Spectator.

And the Readly service I was going to kill off will be around a fair bit longer.  Suggest give it the free month trial.
Well a few days later I wish I’d gone for a surface PC.  As with everything the devil is in the detail and the detail is so much better with Windows

Does the iPad support Microsoft Office?  Yes but only if you only use the features you get in the free office packages.  So what’s the point Microsoft/Apple?

So far it doesn’t do for Excel:
- copy Excel sheets inside workbooks
- rename said sheets
- edit/add conditional formatting

for Powerpoint:
- A4 paper size
- Entering shapes with exact sizes so I couldn’t use it to draft out the new bathroom design

for Google Search:
- search by custom date range (but Bing does so maybe Google can go sling their hook)

I can see Mrs K having this iPad (hers is over 5 years old) and me buying a £mega Surface PC before the year is out

Anyway in short beware buying what appears to be brilliant (and in some ways it is) and is highly rated in those professional reviews that only look at the obvious features

Not exactly a  Banghead  cry: but a definite  rubschin:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #302 on: January 22, 2018, 01:37:11 PM »

[digression mode on]

Well a few days later I wish I’d gone for a surface PC.  As with everything the devil is in the detail and the detail is so much better with Windows

Does the iPad support Microsoft Office?  Yes but only if you only use the features you get in the free office packages.  So what’s the point Microsoft/Apple?

- rename said sheets

for Powerpoint:
- A4 paper size
- Entering shapes with exact sizes so I couldn’t use it to draft out the new bathroom design

for Google Search:
- search by custom date range (but Bing does so maybe Google can go sling their hook)

I can see Mrs K having this iPad (hers is over 5 years old) and me buying a £mega Surface PC before the year is out

Anyway in short beware buying what appears to be brilliant (and in some ways it is) and is highly rated in those professional reviews that only look at the obvious features

Oh bollox...

Can't you put something like LibrfeOffice on it or another 'free' office ap...?
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #303 on: January 22, 2018, 01:55:32 PM »

[digression mode on]

- rename said sheets

for Powerpoint:
- A4 paper size

for Google Search:

Oh bollox...

LibreOffice is good but unless they've adapted it since I last did any real work on it, it doesn't have full Excel functionality. Certain formulas just wont translate across and spreadsheets that use VBA need to be reworked to Star Basic
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #304 on: January 22, 2018, 02:08:55 PM »

[digression mode on]

- rename said sheets

for Powerpoint:
- A4 paper size

for Google Search:

Oh bollox...

LibreOffice is good but unless they've adapted it since I last did any real work on it, it doesn't have full Excel functionality. Certain formulas just wont translate across and spreadsheets that use VBA need to be reworked to Star Basic
yep and to state the obvious I want that full functionality

And I already have a multi PC/Tablet Office 365 licence

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #305 on: February 12, 2018, 06:12:15 PM »
Well the iPad has just been relegated

OK for social networking and email but frankly rubbish is you ever want to really use a tablet/laptop for anything serious.  Well that and that once I got it Mrs K has wanted me to pass it to her (to replace her 5+ years old iPad 3 that was struggling on all sorts of stuff)

So I raided the piggy bank and got meself a Surface

And in many ways it is the bees knees, a thing of some beauty and blistering fast but why oh why do they supply it with a DNS cache that effs up accessing just about everything.  Took me 24 hours to diagnose and fix that but I am supposed to be an engineer (well was).  What hope has Jo or Jane Normal when presented with a PC that will access Bing and fuck all else?  Poor show Micros-shit

Anyway back to thread topic, seems I am Windows 10 forever now

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #306 on: February 12, 2018, 06:14:06 PM »
Well the iPad has just been relegated

OK for social networking and email but frankly rubbish is you ever want to really use a tablet/laptop for anything serious.  Well that and that once I got it Mrs K has wanted me to pass it to her (to replace her 5+ years old iPad 3 that was struggling on all sorts of stuff)

So I raided the piggy bank and got meself a Surface

And in many ways it is the bees knees, a thing of some beauty and blistering fast but why oh why do they supply it with a DNS cache that effs up accessing just about everything.  Took me 24 hours to diagnose and fix that but I am supposed to be an engineer (well was).  What hope has Jo or Jane Normal when presented with a PC that will access Bing and fuck all else?  Poor show Micros-shit

Anyway back to thread topic, seems I am Windows 10 forever now

:thumbsup:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #307 on: February 12, 2018, 06:21:54 PM »
Jeez it is good, why I persevered with a 5+ year old Asus budget notebook for so long I dunno

Next stop:  docking station

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #308 on: February 12, 2018, 07:35:10 PM »
Jeez it is good, why I persevered with a 5+ year old Asus budget notebook for so long I dunno

I'm lovin' my SSD based Win10 Asus... will be travelling with me next month...  cloud9:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #309 on: February 12, 2018, 08:00:42 PM »

I'm lovin' my SSD based Win10 Asus... will be travelling with me next month...  cloud9:
:thumbsup:

I really do rate Asus very highly

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #310 on: February 13, 2018, 01:28:32 PM »
PC World have kidnapped mine  sad32:
Skubber

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #311 on: February 13, 2018, 01:34:00 PM »
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #312 on: February 13, 2018, 02:11:51 PM »
What a pain in the Asus.  noooo:
I mostly despair

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #313 on: February 13, 2018, 02:51:35 PM »
drumroll:

PC World better hurry up or I fear Miss D will be up before the beak on assault and battery charges

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #314 on: February 13, 2018, 03:04:07 PM »
drumroll:

PC World better hurry up or I fear Miss D will be up before the beak on assault and battery charges

drumroll:
Pro Skub  Thumbs: