Author Topic: Windows 10 free upgrade offer  (Read 67116 times)

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
Re: Windows 10 free upgrade offer
« Reply #90 on: August 07, 2015, 09:46:45 AM »

Microsoft asks for feedback...

I've been using Windows since Windows 386...

Great product, but I only use a fraction of the features. I now have a 3GHz Phenom and 12Gbyte of RAM to do what I did on a 1GHz Pentium with 1Gbyte of RAM and XP a few years ago...

Quite frankly, I'm not sure what it is doing with all that processing power...?

So what would make it better would be the ability to turn off vast swathes of features that I never use so I get a faster, more interactive experience with my hardware...

There's always been that suspicion they have a deal with the hardware suppliers to force people to buy better machines

I'd stick with Win 7 forever but they keep stuffing that with RAM/CPU sapping 'updates'

Well, whatever, nevermind

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #91 on: August 07, 2015, 10:38:23 AM »

Microsoft asks for feedback...

I've been using Windows since Windows 386...

Great product, but I only use a fraction of the features. I now have a 3GHz Phenom and 12Gbyte of RAM to do what I did on a 1GHz Pentium with 1Gbyte of RAM and XP a few years ago...

Quite frankly, I'm not sure what it is doing with all that processing power...?

So what would make it better would be the ability to turn off vast swathes of features that I never use so I get a faster, more interactive experience with my hardware...

There's always been that suspicion they have a deal with the hardware suppliers to force people to buy better machines

I'd stick with Win 7 forever but they keep stuffing that with RAM/CPU sapping 'updates'

Precisely...

...and if the take-up of Win10 is too slow they will just make Win7 slower still...  evil:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #92 on: August 07, 2015, 08:52:21 PM »
Day #1 has been okay....  rubschin:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #93 on: August 07, 2015, 11:02:12 PM »
Been on for a few days now and other than a few minor things I've already mentioned it seems ok...  rubschin:

Having just taunted Technomurphy I'll just make sure any important stuff on the laptop has been backed up...  scared2:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #94 on: August 10, 2015, 11:58:32 AM »
A few teething troubles :-

Video replay on Firefox not working properly (sound is there, but image is just a green screen) - now sorted
Battery charging - always says either 1 or 2 minutes to fully charged even when battery is down to 10% !
Scrolling on Touchpad still not working despite installing new drivers and stuff - deeply annoying

Now, do I delete the "old" version of Windows and free up 23.9GB of memory?  scared2:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #95 on: August 10, 2015, 01:04:21 PM »
I wouldn't as I get the impression that this is just a bolt on upgrade rather than a full Windows installation.  rubschin:

Drivers wise, if you haven't already done it try the original laptop drivers. That seems to have sorted out teething problems for other users.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #96 on: August 10, 2015, 01:47:55 PM »
I wouldn't as I get the impression that this is just a bolt on upgrade rather than a full Windows installation.  rubschin:

Drivers wise, if you haven't already done it try the original laptop drivers. That seems to have sorted out teething problems for other users.

Tried it - no joy

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #97 on: August 19, 2015, 09:05:14 AM »
So far so good....

A couple of tiny problems, the sideshow doesn't show all pictures in a folder... When I created a document in Open office it reset the paper size and printer to 'Letter'... um, that is about it really...

Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #98 on: August 19, 2015, 10:23:45 AM »
So far so good....

A couple of tiny problems, the sideshow doesn't show all pictures in a folder... When I created a document in Open office it reset the paper size and printer to 'Letter'... um, that is about it really...

Does it seem faster?

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #99 on: August 19, 2015, 10:26:07 AM »
So far so good....

Does it seem faster?

Not dramatically so....

...but it doesn't seem sluggish either...
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #100 on: August 19, 2015, 10:33:37 AM »
So far so good....

Does it seem faster?

Not dramatically so....

Mine seems a bit faster booting up and in general operation. Still can't get the touchpad to scroll though  cussing:  S'pose I'll have to wait for Toshiba to release a new driver.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #101 on: August 19, 2015, 10:37:41 AM »
So far so good....

Does it seem faster?

Not dramatically so....

Mine seems a bit faster booting up and in general operation. Still can't get the touchpad to scroll though  cussing:  S'pose I'll have to wait for Toshiba to release a new driver.

Booting seems a bit slower here to the point that it can't detect the network drive in time so I have to reconnect it after booting...

...perhaps the boot order needs tweaking or summat....?
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #102 on: August 19, 2015, 11:10:47 AM »
It's pissing me off and I don't want it. It won't let me do any updates to win 7 until I upgrade to 10

What fuckwittery
Well, whatever, nevermind

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #103 on: August 19, 2015, 11:15:58 AM »
That doesn't make sense. If you upgrade to 10 then you'll no longer need to update 7.

rubschin:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #104 on: August 19, 2015, 11:16:32 AM »
Oh, one more 'feature'....

When I click on an image in explorer to open it, it opens that image AND the first image I ever opened in Windows 10 - does it every time...   ::)
Pro Skub  Thumbs: