Author Topic: Pleb-Gate  (Read 4484 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
Pleb-Gate
« on: October 19, 2012, 05:44:15 PM »
I see Andrew Mitchell has resigned this afternoon.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Online Nick

• Needs to get out more...
Re: Pleb-Gate
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 05:49:49 PM »
About fucking time!
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Just One More

• Power Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 05:53:58 PM »
^^^ Wot he said ^^^

What next, these bastard MP's that are now renting their properties to each other to exercise yet another expenses fiddle?

Explode:
LiFe - It's an "F" in lie

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 06:20:47 AM »
Another one:

George Osborne in 'first class ticket row'

The telling remark "His aide tells ticket collector he cannot possibly move and sit with the likes of us in standard class and requests he is allowed to remain in First Class."

It's the same sense of entitlement and superiority that lead to the expenses furore.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 07:17:39 AM »
Another one:

George Osborne in 'first class ticket row'

The telling remark "His aide tells ticket collector he cannot possibly move and sit with the likes of us in standard class and requests he is allowed to remain in First Class."

It's the same sense of entitlement and superiority that lead to the expenses furore.

The aide, the "Train Manager" and the train operator all say this story is bollix. George Osborne says he was unaware that anything had happened as his aide carries the tickets, reserves seats etc and he simply sat where he was directed; There was, allegedly, some confusion as they had first class reserved seats on another train but were unable to catch that train~ at least that is the gist of the report on BBC news this morning.
For what it is worth all Ministers are entitled to first class travel and frankly I feel rightly so as they work whilst they travel and what is in those Red Boxes and the telephone calls they may receive are not for the eyes and ears of anyone else. Osborne and his aide could just as easily had a Government Car and Driver at their beck and call but the train is much cheaper and is easier to work on than in the back of a car.

We are, I'm afraid, slipping back into the Media setting themselves up as the "Opposition" once more.

I recommend reading Alistair Campbell's diaries for the tales of how the journalists carry on and how much they complain that their part of the aircraft, when they accompany the PM anywhere, is not First Class.

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 07:58:43 AM »
Probably right Snoopy but a couple of points; If Ministers are "entitled" to first class travel then why buy standard class tickets? and are not first class carriages public places just as are standard class, so the argument that their matters "are not for the eyes and ears of anyone else" is somewhat disingenuous, or at least implies a belief that standard class customers (a.k.a. passengers) are somehow lesser beings than those in first.

The business about journalists just enforces my belief that many hold the attitude that they are somehow "better" than the plebs or shepple. They should be dissuaded from this as often as possible.

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 07:59:48 AM »
Pleb Gate.
Luv it!! :thumbsup: lol:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 08:05:46 AM »
Probably right Snoopy but a couple of points; If Ministers are "entitled" to first class travel then why buy standard class tickets? and are not first class carriages public places just as are standard class, so the argument that their matters "are not for the eyes and ears of anyone else" is somewhat disingenuous, or at least implies a belief that standard class customers (a.k.a. passengers) are somehow lesser beings than those in first.

The business about journalists just enforces my belief that many hold the attitude that they are somehow "better" than the plebs or shepple. They should be dissuaded from this as often as possible.

+1  Thumbs:

I'm sure the reality is that they do fuck-all work on the train unless the press are there to film them....  ::)

Lazy, useless bastards that they all are!  cussing:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Just One More

• Power Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 08:08:37 AM »
What a topical photograph (published in 1982)

Mitchell resigns because of the fiasco when he wasn't allowed to take his bike through the gates. Sir George Young replaces Mitchell, and look who's also in the picture  lol:

It's not photoshopped, it can be found here

Sir George Young's most famous quote, "The homeless are what you step over when you come out of the opera"

LiFe - It's an "F" in lie

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2012, 08:08:45 AM »

+1  Thumbs:

I'm sure the reality is that they do fuck-all work on the train unless the press are there to film them....  ::)

Lazy, useless bastards that they all are!  cussing:

Apart from our Nigel, GB's entertainment representative. cloud9:
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 08:10:22 AM by GROWLER »

Offline Miss Creant Commander of the picklement and baking BAb(Hons)

• Power Poster
  • I have a keen sense of stupidity!
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2012, 08:46:23 AM »
https://twitter.com/search?q=Rachel%20Townsend&src=typd

Mitchell should have gone weeks ago, arse wipe that he is. In fact he should have been sacked.  Cameron's support of this man reflects badly on him and just enforces the 'old school tie' mentality.

I have always thought that the worst thing about drowning was having to call 'help!' You must look such a fool. It's put me against drowning.
J Basil Boothroyd

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2012, 08:46:44 AM »
What a topical photograph (published in 1982)

Mitchell resigns because of the fiasco when he wasn't allowed to take his bike through the gates. Sir George Young replaces Mitchell, and look who's also in the picture  lol:

It's not photoshopped, it can be found here

Sir George Young's most famous quote, "The homeless are what you step over when you come out of the opera"

happy001
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2012, 08:48:19 AM »
https://twitter.com/search?q=Rachel%20Townsend&src=typd

Mitchell should have gone weeks ago, arse wipe that he is. In fact he should have been sacked.  Cameron's support of this man reflects badly on him and just enforces the 'old school tie' mentality.

Cameron is woeful....  noooo:

I can't believe I am going to type this but, but.... he is no better than Brown....
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2012, 09:11:51 AM »
Why would you vote for anyone who offered themselves for election? 
The mere act of standing for parliament surely makes them suspect. rubschin:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2012, 09:21:12 AM »
Why would you vote for anyone who offered themselves for election? 
The mere act of standing for parliament surely makes them suspect. rubschin:

Vote UKIP!  Thumbs:
Pro Skub  Thumbs: