Author Topic: Coming up on the box  (Read 361191 times)

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
Re: Coming up on the box
« Reply #3585 on: January 24, 2020, 04:24:45 AM »
Well after all the buildup and hype I've finally watched the first episode of Star Trek Picard and all I can say is that it's kinda vaguely Trek Jim, but not as we know it...

If anyone was considering watching the show there are spoilers ahead.

Luke Picard is living in self imposed seclusion at a vineyard having resigned from Starfleet in protest after events following the Romulan supernova and attack on Mars by 'rogue' synthetics (that's right folks, far from being the follow on from the Next Generation this show was teased as, this is set in the JJ Abrams version of Trek). After showing him giving his first interview since resigning the scene cuts to a young couple celebrating her being accepted to the Daystrom Institute before the are interrupted by kidnappers who kill her boyfriend before trying to knock her out using the ancient art of Bag-Fu (because shoving a bag on someone's head is always guaranteed to render them unconscious) Rey Dahj suddenly turns into warrior goddess and wipes the floor with them before getting a vision of Picard and going off to find him.

After a convoluted plot involving paintings and dreams Picard decides that not only is Dahj a synthetic, she is the daughter of Data shortly before she is killed by a Romulan/Xenomorph rip off hybrid that spits acidic blood at her burning her and causing her rifle to explode after she has torn through another group of the kidnappers in a martial arts sequence that was clearly ripped off from Scarlett Johanson's Black Widow protrayal even using some of the same moves as she had in the Avengers films.

Deciding to investigate what is happening Picard discovers that while organic synthetics are supposed to be impossible Dahj's necklace has the symbol for a positron cloning technique and that she was one of a pair of twins. Wait........What?? I know that this is Trek so they make up technology but from Next Generation onwards they've at least tried to ground it in a little real science to keep things consistent. A positron is the antimatter counterpart of the electron so how the hell are you supposed to be able to clone one?  rubschin:

We then cut to the surviving twin to find she is part of the Romulan reclamation project and they are working on a Borg cube, because nothing could go wrong there could it...  noooo:

Strip out the Trek references and sell it as a brand new IP and you have the potential for an interesting, if derivative, series. But as it stands it doesn't feel any more like a Star Trek show than Discovery does...
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #3586 on: January 24, 2020, 09:32:26 AM »
 :thumbsup:

Tis on Amazon Prime so I figure we'll give it a whirl after reading that
Well, whatever, nevermind

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #3587 on: January 25, 2020, 10:23:26 PM »
Well after all the buildup and hype I've finally watched the first episode of Star Trek Picard and all I can say is that it's kinda vaguely Trek Jim, but not as we know it...

If anyone was considering watching the show there are spoilers ahead.

Luke Picard is living in self imposed seclusion at a vineyard having resigned from Starfleet in protest after events following the Romulan supernova and attack on Mars by 'rogue' synthetics (that's right folks, far from being the follow on from the Next Generation this show was teased as, this is set in the JJ Abrams version of Trek). After showing him giving his first interview since resigning the scene cuts to a young couple celebrating her being accepted to the Daystrom Institute before the are interrupted by kidnappers who kill her boyfriend before trying to knock her out using the ancient art of Bag-Fu (because shoving a bag on someone's head is always guaranteed to render them unconscious) Rey Dahj suddenly turns into warrior goddess and wipes the floor with them before getting a vision of Picard and going off to find him.

After a convoluted plot involving paintings and dreams Picard decides that not only is Dahj a synthetic, she is the daughter of Data shortly before she is killed by a Romulan/Xenomorph rip off hybrid that spits acidic blood at her burning her and causing her rifle to explode after she has torn through another group of the kidnappers in a martial arts sequence that was clearly ripped off from Scarlett Johanson's Black Widow protrayal even using some of the same moves as she had in the Avengers films.

Deciding to investigate what is happening Picard discovers that while organic synthetics are supposed to be impossible Dahj's necklace has the symbol for a positron cloning technique and that she was one of a pair of twins. Wait........What?? I know that this is Trek so they make up technology but from Next Generation onwards they've at least tried to ground it in a little real science to keep things consistent. A positron is the antimatter counterpart of the electron so how the hell are you supposed to be able to clone one?  rubschin:

We then cut to the surviving twin to find she is part of the Romulan reclamation project and they are working on a Borg cube, because nothing could go wrong there could it...  noooo:

Strip out the Trek references and sell it as a brand new IP and you have the potential for an interesting, if derivative, series. But as it stands it doesn't feel any more like a Star Trek show than Discovery does...
Just watched it, most excellent [/Bill and Ted mode] for a series starter.  Normally detest Patrick Stewart but he was very good

As was your review but just one point.  You do know a positron is an electron going backwards in time (Richard Feynman) so  . . . . . .

Offline Just One More

• Power Poster
« Reply #3588 on: January 30, 2020, 07:41:10 PM »
Not coming up on the box, but what was on on the box

Last night's "Spy in the Wild" that was on BBC1. Stunning photography. Well worth a watch on I-player if you're able  :thumbsup:
LiFe - It's an "F" in lie

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #3589 on: January 30, 2020, 10:07:32 PM »
Not coming up on the box, but what was on on the box

Last night's "Spy in the Wild" that was on BBC1. Stunning photography. Well worth a watch on I-player if you're able  :thumbsup:
:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster
« Reply #3590 on: February 06, 2020, 11:59:46 AM »

Offline Steve

• Power Poster

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #3592 on: February 06, 2020, 01:07:05 PM »
I mostly despair

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster
« Reply #3595 on: February 09, 2020, 09:12:48 PM »
Watching .."Shelley" ...blast from past......... cloud9:

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #3596 on: February 10, 2020, 11:36:00 AM »
She was good in "Towering Inferno"
I mostly despair

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #3597 on: February 10, 2020, 12:03:03 PM »
she was hot you say?

I can never see that film name and not think that joke line about the explosion at the drinks factory:  'Showering in Pernod'

PS IIRC she wasn't in it, Poseidon Adventure?

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #3598 on: February 10, 2020, 11:50:19 PM »
she was hot you say?

I can never see that film name and not think that joke line about the explosion at the drinks factory:  'Showering in Pernod'

These disaster movies all look the same  noooo:
I mostly despair

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #3599 on: February 11, 2020, 12:28:37 AM »
she was hot you say?

These disaster movies all look the same  noooo:

It was bound to happen after constantly hearing about Nick's catastrophes...  noooo:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.