Author Topic: Coming up on the box  (Read 364794 times)

Offline Just One More

• Power Poster
Re: Coming up on the box
« Reply #3570 on: January 01, 2020, 06:16:21 PM »
Dam Busters (live)  cloud9:

Beats that thing on the other channel which is actually called "Dr Pop the Pimple". I had a look  eeek: eeek: sick2: sick2: sick2: sick2:

Top man JOM!

I read the description of an episode once  sick2:  sick2:  sick2:  sick2:  sick2: I gave it a miss Nick
LiFe - It's an "F" in lie

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #3571 on: January 01, 2020, 08:23:52 PM »
"the other channel"

What is this?  A time warp back to 1963?
Well, whatever, nevermind

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #3572 on: January 02, 2020, 06:36:38 AM »
"the other channel"

lol: lol: lol:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #3573 on: January 02, 2020, 12:47:40 PM »
"the other channel"

lol: lol: lol:
lol: lol: lol: lol:

405 line Nick
I mostly despair

Offline Nick

« Reply #3574 on: January 02, 2020, 02:44:02 PM »
Perhaps you need to go and watch your collection of Black and White MInstrel recordings  ::)
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #3575 on: January 02, 2020, 08:10:07 PM »
Perhaps you need to go and watch your collection of Black and White MInstrel recordings  ::)
:thumbsup:
I mostly despair

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #3576 on: January 03, 2020, 07:29:55 AM »

Waaayyyycciiiiiist!  cussing:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #3577 on: January 03, 2020, 12:31:08 PM »

Waaayyyycciiiiiist!  cussing:
rubschin:

Some people condemn the Black and White Minstrel show because "it was racist"

I want all copies of episodes of it destroyed and any living person associated with its production jailed because it was so fucking awful and in the days when there was only one other channel that's what was on the bleeding TV Saturday nights when I was a kid. 

Offline Nick

« Reply #3578 on: January 03, 2020, 02:15:38 PM »
Yup, my mum was a big fan  noooo: noooo: noooo:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Online Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #3579 on: January 14, 2020, 07:44:34 AM »
A Silence of the Lambs sequel concentrating on Clarice Starling? I was interested in this right up till I found out that Alex Kurtzman is the showrunner which means it's going to be godawful.  noooo:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-7880621/The-Silence-Lambs-sequel-series-Clarice-happening-CBS-set-year-movie.html
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #3580 on: January 14, 2020, 09:33:44 AM »
A Silence of the Lambs sequel concentrating on Clarice Starling? I was interested in this right up till I found out that Alex Kurtzman is the showrunner which means it's going to be godawful.  noooo:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-7880621/The-Silence-Lambs-sequel-series-Clarice-happening-CBS-set-year-movie.html

Going to be very hard to get round that 'not as good as Jodie Foster would have been' thought

Online Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #3581 on: January 14, 2020, 09:43:55 AM »

Going to be very hard to get round that 'not as good as Jodie Foster would have been' thought

Trust me, having seen some of Kurtzman's previous work (most recently Star Trek Discovery) the 'not as good as Jodie Foster would have been' thought is going to be the least of it's problems.  noooo:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #3582 on: January 14, 2020, 10:26:31 AM »

Trust me, having seen some of Kurtzman's previous work (most recently Star Trek Discovery) the 'not as good as Jodie Foster would have been' thought is going to be the least of it's problems.  noooo:
So he's no Jonathan Demme then (a sad loss)

Online Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #3583 on: January 18, 2020, 05:34:51 PM »
Having loved reading Terry Pratchett when I was younger I had been really looking forward to this when I first heard about the adaptation but given it's being done by the BBC I should have seen this coming. It looks like an absolute mess. Whoever is directing this either didn't read the book, doesn't understand the characters and setting or doesn't care. For one thing Pratchett understood about diversity and affirmative action and included it as part of the plot, that was why Angua was hired for the watch despite being a werewolf, not to mention dwarves, trolls, undead and a vampire. Constable cheery is supposed to be a female dwarf who pretends to be male because of there being fixed roles for genders in her society, not a non binary human raised by Dwarves. A large part of the humour and friendship between Angua and Cheery is about her lending Cheery clothing and eventually convincing her to come out as actually being female while hiding the fact that she is a werewolf from her.

Then there is Lady Ramkin who is supposed to be one of the only kind and compassionate members of the aristocracy in the city and is certainly not a pyromaniac vigilante.  Banghead

https://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2020/01/our-first-look-at-the-discworld-tv-show-is-not-what-you-were-expecting/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+uk%2Fgizmodo+%28Gizmodo+UK%29

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #3584 on: January 19, 2020, 07:01:55 AM »
Having loved reading Terry Pratchett when I was younger I had been really looking forward to this when I first heard about the adaptation but given it's being done by the BBC I should have seen this coming. It looks like an absolute mess. Whoever is directing this either didn't read the book, doesn't understand the characters and setting or doesn't care. For one thing Pratchett understood about diversity and affirmative action and included it as part of the plot, that was why Angua was hired for the watch despite being a werewolf, not to mention dwarves, trolls, undead and a vampire. Constable cheery is supposed to be a female dwarf who pretends to be male because of there being fixed roles for genders in her society, not a non binary human raised by Dwarves. A large part of the humour and friendship between Angua and Cheery is about her lending Cheery clothing and eventually convincing her to come out as actually being female while hiding the fact that she is a werewolf from her.

Then there is Lady Ramkin who is supposed to be one of the only kind and compassionate members of the aristocracy in the city and is certainly not a pyromaniac vigilante.  Banghead

https://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2020/01/our-first-look-at-the-discworld-tv-show-is-not-what-you-were-expecting/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+uk%2Fgizmodo+%28Gizmodo+UK%29

BBC = FUBAR
Pro Skub  Thumbs: