Author Topic: Coming up on the box  (Read 364273 times)

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
Re: Coming up on the box
« Reply #3390 on: March 22, 2019, 09:12:45 AM »
Just watched the first two parts (of three) of Decline and Fall... most excellent!
Was Jack Whitehall any good?

Brilliant!  Thumbs:
2017 apparently and I have to pay if I want to watch it now  rubschin:
Well, whatever, nevermind

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #3391 on: March 22, 2019, 09:46:21 AM »
Just watched the first two parts (of three) of Decline and Fall... most excellent!

Brilliant!  Thumbs:

I'll give you feedback when I have watched the last one (prolly Sunday)... but this review would pretty much cover it so far...

Superb first two episodes
petercarlton6 April 2017
As a lifelong enthusiast for the writing of Evelyn Waugh, I thought I would never again see a revival of interest in his work. I am glad to say that this adaptation - on the evidence of Episode 1 - ensures that I couldn't have been more wrong, as it will undoubtedly attract a whole new audience. There is sheer quality in every aspect of this production and I found myself laughing out loud throughout. Everything is perfect - casting, script, characterisation, editing; it doesn't put a foot wrong. It seems unfair to single out any one contribution, but Douglas Hodge has so much fun with the character of the deeply dubious unidexter Captain Grimes, you cannot help but be impressed while you giggle. I can't wait to watch the re maining episodes, but simply wish to congratulate the whole team on this first showing. Bravo! On viewing the second episode, there is nothing to add other than that the very high standard has been maintained - a relief and an uproarious pleasure.
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #3392 on: March 22, 2019, 10:41:54 AM »
 :thumbsup:

£7 to see the whole series via Amazon.  It's not that I can't afford it but the miser in me resents coughing up for what i could have once seen for free

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #3393 on: March 22, 2019, 05:06:29 PM »
Film 4 now. Rear WIndow. Hitchcock's finest film  cloud9:
I'd hate to see his worst then

Slow, obvious and not a patch on his 39 Steps

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #3394 on: March 24, 2019, 12:00:09 AM »
Designated Survivor

Probably been shown before in the UK but excellent, it's on Paramount channel now

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #3395 on: March 29, 2019, 09:55:45 PM »
Just watched After Life front to back... It is a masterpiece, sensational!  cloud9: cloud9: cloud9:

Everything about it, the script, the cast, the cinematography, the music - amazing!  :thumbsup:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #3396 on: March 29, 2019, 09:57:23 PM »
Designated Survivor

Probably been shown before in the UK but excellent, it's on Paramount channel now

It's on Netflix but I need a couple of days of in a row before I start binge watching a series.  rubschin:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #3397 on: March 29, 2019, 11:40:36 PM »
We've decided to have a Grimm fest by watching the whole 6 series back to back (well 3 or 4 a day)

Still excellent  :thumbsup:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #3398 on: April 01, 2019, 06:49:36 AM »

Brilliant!  Thumbs:

I'll give you feedback when I have watched the last one (prolly Sunday)... but this review would pretty much cover it so far...

Superb first two episodes
petercarlton6 April 2017
As a lifelong enthusiast for the writing of Evelyn Waugh, I thought I would never again see a revival of interest in his work. I am glad to say that this adaptation - on the evidence of Episode 1 - ensures that I couldn't have been more wrong, as it will undoubtedly attract a whole new audience. There is sheer quality in every aspect of this production and I found myself laughing out loud throughout. Everything is perfect - casting, script, characterisation, editing; it doesn't put a foot wrong. It seems unfair to single out any one contribution, but Douglas Hodge has so much fun with the character of the deeply dubious unidexter Captain Grimes, you cannot help but be impressed while you giggle. I can't wait to watch the re maining episodes, but simply wish to congratulate the whole team on this first showing. Bravo! On viewing the second episode, there is nothing to add other than that the very high standard has been maintained - a relief and an uproarious pleasure.

The third one was excellent but a little disappointing after the extremely high standard of the first two TBH....
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster
« Reply #3399 on: April 01, 2019, 10:09:47 PM »
Just watched After Life front to back... It is a masterpiece, sensational!  cloud9: cloud9: cloud9:

Everything about it, the script, the cast, the cinematography, the music - amazing!  :thumbsup:

I have to agree..larfed n cried .... Thumbs:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #3400 on: April 02, 2019, 03:59:25 AM »

Got to be watched again!  :thumbsup:

Started watching Extras last night as a result... cloud9:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster
« Reply #3401 on: April 02, 2019, 06:47:49 PM »

Then Dereck again........ Thumbs:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #3402 on: April 02, 2019, 07:22:17 PM »

Then Dereck again........ Thumbs:

Got that too!  Thumbs:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster
« Reply #3403 on: April 03, 2019, 07:40:20 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hraJcCDNEMk&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR060mjAkeZtVexzNCN2Kee5Q5wbb4y30cZaCRIK7lqw7ytbRrOVXhg808o

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #3404 on: April 03, 2019, 08:15:33 PM »
Pro Skub  Thumbs: