Disgusterous

Author Topic: Coming up on the box  (Read 365045 times)

Offline Tipsy Gipsy

• Power Poster
Re: Coming up on the box
« Reply #2130 on: January 17, 2014, 07:24:54 AM »
Watching Benefits Street #2  cussing: Banghead cussing: Banghead cussing: Banghead

It could be worse, you could actually have to drive past it en route to work like.    ::)   Oh I do.   cussing:

Franklin Street, right on the Foundry Road, left on to Handsworth New Road then right on to Lodge Road and on towards the City.     noooo:

Are you doing The Knowledge...?  rubschin:

:thumbsup:  Just need to learn Arabic/Urdu, Hindi and Punjabi now.

And Polish and Romanian....

I haven't seen the programme.   lol:

Don't.... unless you want an excuse to buy a new tellybox....  noooo:

I already have a subtitles function.   lol:
It's better than I ever even knew.  They say that the world was built for two.  Only worth living if somebody is loving you.  Baby now you do.

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #2131 on: January 17, 2014, 07:26:40 AM »
I can't watch it anymore ....tis not good for my blood pressure  noooo:
Skubber

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster
« Reply #2132 on: January 17, 2014, 01:45:11 PM »

it's not much different to Sesame Street.

Both have a big bird, a bloke living out of a bin, and people trying to learn the alphabet..........

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2133 on: January 17, 2014, 02:55:11 PM »

Both have a big bird, a bloke living out of a bin, and people trying to learn the alphabet..........

happy001
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #2134 on: January 17, 2014, 03:58:57 PM »

lol: lol: lol:
I mostly despair

Offline Baldy

• Power Poster
« Reply #2135 on: January 17, 2014, 06:28:19 PM »

lol: lol: lol: lol:

Offline Nick

« Reply #2136 on: January 17, 2014, 06:39:10 PM »

drumroll: drumroll: drumroll: drumroll:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #2137 on: January 17, 2014, 07:33:50 PM »
Seems Channel 4 cut all the employed people out.  The title "Not everyone on benefits Street" had a little less impact.  So impact v objectivty, such a tough call for Channel 4        not

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-25750475
Well, whatever, nevermind

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2138 on: January 17, 2014, 08:11:16 PM »
Seems Channel 4 cut all the employed people out.  The title "Not everyone on benefits Street" had a little less impact.  So impact v objectivty, such a tough call for Channel 4        not

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-25750475

I caught the end of the 'debate' on The Today show the other morning about how terrible it was that an employed couple were excluded.... ::)

Yet the opening credits of the show clearly state that "most of the residents are claiming benefits" and "probably 5% of people on this road are working"

So (IMHO) it is not unreasonable to exclude employed people from a show entitled 'Benefits Street' about a street that is 95% dependent on benefits (especially as one of them was a benefits officer and was according to the producers uncomfortable with appearing on the show) when the show is focussing on a street that is mostly dependent on benefits!

Unless of course you think it is quite normal to have a street where 95% of the residents exist on benefits and sit around all day in front of their mahoosive TVs smoking fags, drinking beer and wearing designer clothes (admittedly prolly nicked)....

What next? "Vegetarian Hour" has to include meat eaters....? Men and Machines has to have a feature on horses?  ::)

Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #2139 on: January 17, 2014, 09:07:24 PM »
You have to ask why they filmed working people for a year and then at the last minute decided to dump all footage of them.  Not like the series had low viewing figures was it.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2140 on: January 17, 2014, 09:45:11 PM »
You have to ask why they filmed working people for a year and then at the last minute decided to dump all footage of them.  Not like the series had low viewing figures was it.

Well, they obviously wouldn't know the viewing figures before they showed it so that is a pointless comment.... ::)

But I would imagine they didn't have just one camera filming the street for a year (in fact clearly not), and they cut the footage at the end to fit the theme of the programme...

Clearly, if the series was called "Working class family survives on street of benefits" you would have imagined that perhaps the footage of the working family would have received more coverage...

But, given the series was called "Benefits Street" they chose to focus on the 95% of the street that were on benefits...

No doubt, if it was called "Romanians fucked over by gang bosses" they would have dedicated the whole series to the Romanians who had been fucked over by gang bosses...

But instead, they chose to focus the programme on those people that choose to fuck over the British taxpayer by living on benefits, having multiple children with various vacant fathers, not working, thieving, drug taking, boozing, smoking and spending all day in front of a 40" flat screen tellybox completely funded by the taxpayer....

In which case, fair play to them....  Thumbs: (the film makers - not the scrounging scum) ::)

I suspect you haven't even watched it... in #2 there is a long part where a local woman (clearly not a benefit scrounger) enters the street in the "Britain in Bloom" competition and tries to get the complete shit hole cleaned up but it is clearly an impossible task with piss heads, drug addicts and benefits scroungers on almost every doorstep. How would two working people with a couple of hanging baskets change the feel of the street or the series...?
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #2141 on: January 17, 2014, 10:45:40 PM »
All I'm pointing out is it's a bit sus that Channel 4 decided to cut a planned showing of their most successful series in over a year from 6 episodes to just 5 and this employed couple got canned.   

But then the producer has admitted that he set out to project a "foregrounded" position about benefits.  "Foregrounded" is a poncey word meaning selectively biased

Ta for the free lecture though

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2142 on: January 18, 2014, 07:02:03 AM »
All I'm pointing out is it's a bit sus that Channel 4 decided to cut a planned showing of their most successful series in over a year from 6 episodes to just 5 and this employed couple got canned.   

But then the producer has admitted that he set out to project a "foregrounded" position about benefits.  "Foregrounded" is a poncey word meaning selectively biased

The show is called Benefits Street FFS!  Banghead

Of course it is going to be biased and I bet there is miles of video tape that doesn't fit the meme.... ::)

But people wouldn't want to watch it if it was about 'normal' people going to work 9 to 5.... Normal People Street it could be called....
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #2143 on: January 18, 2014, 11:27:25 AM »

Of course it is going to be biased and I bet there is miles of video tape that doesn't fit the meme.... ::)

But people wouldn't want to watch it if it was about 'normal' people going to work 9 to 5.... Normal People Street it could be called....
noooo:
I mostly despair

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2144 on: January 18, 2014, 11:36:16 AM »

noooo:

lol: lol: lol:
Pro Skub  Thumbs: