Author Topic: New F1 season  (Read 38326 times)

Online Nick

• Needs to get out more...
Re: New F1 season
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2011, 09:12:17 AM »
Might as well just have a game of Scalextric ...much more fun  cloud9:

It remonded me of that... I used to have a 'Scalextric' stylee thing when I was a boy... it had a slot track but the car hat batteries instead of picking power up from the track... and you had buttons on the side so you could change the route and re-direct your opponent... With hindsight it was more of a cops and robbers game than a F1 thing... or I might have imagined it....  rubschin:

An imaginary Scalextric set you say  rubschin:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2011, 10:59:08 AM »
Might as well just have a game of Scalextric ...much more fun  cloud9:

It remonded me of that... I used to have a 'Scalextric' stylee thing when I was a boy... it had a slot track but the car hat batteries instead of picking power up from the track... and you had buttons on the side so you could change the route and re-direct your opponent... With hindsight it was more of a cops and robbers game than a F1 thing... or I might have imagined it....  rubschin:

An imaginary Scalextric set you say  rubschin:

Yes, it came down from the ceiling when I pressed a special button!  point:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2011, 11:04:16 AM »
I think you'll find that refueling isn't allowed this season. Tyres wear so need changing but there are rules and restrictions on their use. I as far as I can see the driver's skill is always the deciding factor. I doubt any of us could drive an F1 car out of the pit lane let alone race.

Harder tyres then...  whistle:

I am not looking to prolong the argument but the new roolz do state that they MUST use both hard and soft compound tyres during the race so at least one tyre change is mandatory. Exceptions can be made, at the race stewards' discretion, in the event of rain during the race.

As far as I understand it the rule changes over the last 10 years or so have been driven firstly by a desire to prevent death and/or serious injury but latterly the impetus has been to try to even out the technical superiority of one vehicle over another and make it more of a driver skills competition. Of course the "teams" have resisted this as they know that a tweak here and there, using modern computer designed equipment, can make a difference. At the end of the day it is the motor manufacturers who want to sell more cars that put up the money to prove that their vehicle is superior. Many of the things, ABS, Power Steering, etc. that we take for granted and have all become common place on the cars we buy, have first been developed for racing cars.

All that said I still maintain that the chance of a "pile up" is the main reason most of us watch what has become, for many, only marginally less boring than listening to snooker on the wireless. Personally I'd rather watch horse racing or a game of football and I am not that fond of either sport but they do still depend on the skill of the riders and players far more that the latest bit of technology.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2011, 11:10:17 AM »
I think you'll find that refueling isn't allowed this season. Tyres wear so need changing but there are rules and restrictions on their use. I as far as I can see the driver's skill is always the deciding factor. I doubt any of us could drive an F1 car out of the pit lane let alone race.

Harder tyres then...  whistle:

I am not looking to prolong the argument but the new roolz do state that they MUST use both hard and soft compound tyres during the race so at least one tyre change is mandatory. Exceptions can be made, at the race stewards' discretion, in the event of rain during the race.

As far as I understand it the rule changes over the last 10 years or so have been driven firstly by a desire to prevent death and/or serious injury but latterly the impetus has been to try to even out the technical superiority of one vehicle over another and make it more of a driver skills competition. Of course the "teams" have resisted this as they know that a tweak here and there, using modern computer designed equipment, can make a difference. At the end of the day it is the motor manufacturers who want to sell more cars that put up the money to prove that their vehicle is superior. Many of the things, ABS, Power Steering, etc. that we take for granted and have all become common place on the cars we buy, have first been developed for racing cars.

All that said I still maintain that the chance of a "pile up" is the main reason most of us watch what has become, for many, only marginally less boring than listening to snooker on the wireless. Personally I'd rather watch horse racing or a game of football and I am not that fond of either sport but they do still depend on the skill of the riders and players far more that the latest bit of technology.

I agree with you...

And I see no reason why they have to keep nipping in and out of the pits - unless the driver needs a slash it should be unnecessary....

A race with harder tyres and no pitting (unless they had a puncture or the driver needed a piss) would be much mo0re exciting... I suspect the only reason they have this (ridiculous) mandatory tyre change is because the whole procession is sooooo predictable and boring after the first corner...
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2011, 11:19:02 AM »
I did watch last weekend's race and there seemed to me to be more bumps than last year .... mainly, I thought, because of the new roolz which made the drivers take risks that they didn't need to take last season. Red Bull clearly have "something extra" going for their car .... as Lewis Hamilton was the first to suggest in his apres race interview.

There is certainly a measure of skill and strength needed in the driver's seat that the average motorist lacks and the drivers do have to be willing to take the chance of injury or worse that many of us would not want to take but then for the money they get they have every reason to...... That said I have seen some bloody lunatics on the public roads who seem to have the same mind-set but not the skills or the vehicles to handle it.

Online Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2011, 07:56:54 AM »
Malaysian Grand Prix just about to start.

Online Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2011, 08:23:07 AM »
Vettel pulling away again  cussing:

Online Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2011, 06:53:50 PM »
Rain at the Canadian GP ~ BBC twiddling their thumbs (as am I)

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2011, 06:59:45 PM »
I thought that Blackbird on the track was in Ferrari colours  whistle:
Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2011, 07:11:20 AM »
Were these people watching the same race?

Jenson Button wins stunning Canadian Grand Prix

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9511066.stm

Offline tel

• Senior Moment
« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2011, 07:53:20 AM »
I am amazed the Beeb stuck with it to the end.

Longest GP I've ever seen, really enjoyed it for some perverse reason.

RTFM

Online Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2011, 09:17:00 AM »
I believe they are contractually obliged to. I enjoyed it despite shouting at the safety car.

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #72 on: June 20, 2011, 06:33:59 PM »
Enjoy the beeb coverage while it lasts, you may not have it for much longer.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2005473/BBC-axe-Formula-1-coverage-niche-digital-shows-Come-Clog-Dancing.html

Does anyone actually watch BBC4?  noooo:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Online Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #73 on: July 29, 2011, 05:27:46 PM »
Only half right GM ~ BBC and Sky awarded rights in new Formula 1 deal

Bloody Sky TV  cussing:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2011, 06:48:31 PM »
Only half right GM ~ BBC and Sky awarded rights in new Formula 1 deal

Bloody Sky TV  cussing:

Agree wholeheartedly, but it's going down the pan anyway.
Hardly ever watch it now tbh