Disgusterous

Author Topic: Chronicles  (Read 6871 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
Re: Chronicles
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2007, 08:31:41 AM »
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Downshifting-Bestselling-Happier-Simpler-Living/dp/0340834021/ref=sr_1_2/026-0731001-1858024?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1182932678&sr=8-2

Revised edition?

That'll be the one ..... Different cover but same authors and "The Downshifters Guide to Happier, Simpler Living" is the sub title of my copy. They have probably up-dated some of the info and taken out refs to 1990s items which mine has. Good way to make a living, when you think about it, recycle the same book over and over ..... But then a certain J Archer cottoned onto that idea years ago.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2007, 08:33:08 AM »
Will stick it on my list for the next mass purchasing then. Thanks for the recomendation.  lol:

Offline tel

• Senior Moment
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2007, 08:40:13 AM »
Wicked by Gregory Maguire and The Promise of Happiness by Justin Cartwright here.

Spooky. before reading this I had looked at my boss's desk and saw a copy of The Promise of Happiness by Justin Cartwright - had never heard of the author before.

RTFM

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2007, 09:21:55 AM »
It was on lists everywhere last Summer. I wasn't too sure and then found it on amazon for a couple of quid.

Offline tel

• Senior Moment
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2007, 09:52:19 AM »
Fraid I don't do lists

RTFM

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2007, 10:05:54 AM »
Fraid I don't do lists

You would if holed in your port beam.
I mostly despair

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2007, 10:51:01 AM »
Chickenhawk - back in the world.

Awesome.

Chickenhawk? Has Robert Mason written a follow up?
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2007, 03:04:22 PM »

Awesome.

Yes, it?s awesome!

It is about his life after Vietnam ? coming to terms with not being in combat and trying to make a living in various business ventures.

http://www.alibris.com/search/search.cfm?qwork=1047735&wauth=robert%20mason&matches=8&qsort=r&cm_re=works*listing*title

I have to say it is one of the most amazing books I?ve ever read ? it also documents his attempts to become a ?real? author (Chickenhawk was an unexpected success) and the writing of his two books about robots which I?ve also ordered from Alibris.

Recommended.
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Sour Puss

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2007, 02:44:47 AM »
Hmmm interesting. Off to see if I can track it down. Although a small holding in Wales sounds quite tempting actually!

noooo:Be careful what you wish for, someone sugested that to me once, "Lets get away from the rat race", I believe was the phrase use. Next day looked up smallholdings in Wales and somehow ended up in Rural France for 10 years.  It is a long and very involved story, of Nick like proportions.  rubschin:

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2007, 09:39:47 AM »
Hmmm interesting. Off to see if I can track it down. Although a small holding in Wales sounds quite tempting actually!

noooo:Be careful what you wish for, someone sugested that to me once, "Lets get away from the rat race", I believe was the phrase use. Next day looked up smallholdings in Wales and somehow ended up in Rural France for 10 years.  It is a long and very involved story, of Nick like proportions.  rubschin:

France!  eeek: Ummm no thank-you! That would never happen, far too far from Mr Wench's beloved football team!

Sour Puss

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2007, 10:19:57 AM »

France!  eeek: Ummm no thank-you! That would never happen, far too far from Mr Wench's beloved football team!

That would be the one on my doorstep, I believe,  aka blue feathery things.  I used to have to go there every other Saturday, but keep my back to the field for the whole match, this was before opting out of the rat race, many years ago, in my salad days.

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2007, 10:50:50 AM »
Indeed, god forbid we move too far away from them.  ::)

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2007, 11:12:02 AM »

Awesome.

Yes, it?s awesome!

It is about his life after Vietnam ? coming to terms with not being in combat and trying to make a living in various business ventures.

http://www.alibris.com/search/search.cfm?qwork=1047735&wauth=robert%20mason&matches=8&qsort=r&cm_re=works*listing*title

I have to say it is one of the most amazing books I?ve ever read ? it also documents his attempts to become a ?real? author (Chickenhawk was an unexpected success) and the writing of his two books about robots which I?ve also ordered from Alibris.

Recommended.

Another good one I read about Vietnam was The Dying Place. Its the experiences of a special forces officer who by the end of the book I am convincd would have lost it completely when he is sent home.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.