Disgusterous

Author Topic: Barman’s Beautiful Brown Basil Bread  (Read 25215 times)

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Re: Barman’s Beautiful Brown Basil Bread
« Reply #165 on: June 09, 2018, 07:21:50 PM »
I wondered that, once I had wiped the cobwebs off my screen  ::)

lol: lol: lol:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #166 on: June 09, 2018, 07:36:31 PM »
If the smell while it's baking is anything to go by this could end up beating BM's bread into second place..  Drool:

Given that instead of following the destructions I've just halved the ingredients apart from the chorizo and bunged it all into a breadmaker it could also go horribly wrong...  scared2:

Here is the actual recipe I was given:

Beaujolais Chorizo Bread

For the Starter
1 3⁄4 cups (9 3⁄4 oz.) bread flour
1 pinch active dry yeast
3⁄4 tsp. kosher salt

For the Bread
1 2⁄3 cups (13 1⁄2 oz.) beaujolais
1 tbsp. active dry yeast
1 tbsp. kosher salt
4 cups plus 2 tbsp. (1 lb. 6 oz.) bread flour
9 oz. cured chorizo, finely chopped

Make the starter: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, combine the flour, yeast, salt, and 2⁄3 cup water. Mix on low speed until a smooth dough forms, about 2 minutes. Scrape into a large bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let stand at room temperature for four 4 hours.

Make the bread: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, combine 2 1⁄2 oz. (about 1⁄4 cup) of the starter with the beaujolais, yeast, and salt. Stir until smooth. Add flour and mix on low speed until the dough forms. Increase speed to medium and knead until smooth, about 5 minutes. Add chorizo and knead for 5 minutes more. Transfer to a lightly greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let stand until dough is doubled in size, about 1 hour.

Uncover the dough, divide into 2 balls (about 1 1⁄2 lbs. each), and shape each into an 11-inch-long, 3-inch-wide log with tapered ends, placing the seam side facing up. Transfer each to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, cover with plastic wrap and let stand until dough springs back lightly when touched, about 1 1⁄2 hours.
Position a rack in the middle of the oven and another rack on the bottom, and heat the oven to 400°. Place a small metal pan on the lower rack and pour in 1 cup boiling water; then place the bread loaves on the upper rack and bake until crust is golden brown, about 35 minutes. Transfer loaves to a rack and let cool to room temperature before serving.

WTF is kosher salt??? Shrugs:

It's salt that hasn't used iodine in the production and has larger crystals. It's used more in salting meat but because of the larger crystal size its harder to oversalt a recipe. Plus it tastes better.  Thumbs:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Nick

« Reply #167 on: June 09, 2018, 07:38:48 PM »
Why does Yahweh hate iodine?  rubschin:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #168 on: June 09, 2018, 07:42:49 PM »
It alters the flavour...  ::)

I only started using it as an experiment after watching some of the Binging With Babbish Youtube videos.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster
« Reply #169 on: June 09, 2018, 08:24:04 PM »
If the smell while it's baking is anything to go by this could end up beating BM's bread into second place..  Drool:

Given that instead of following the destructions I've just halved the ingredients apart from the chorizo and bunged it all into a breadmaker it could also go horribly wrong...  scared2:

Here is the actual recipe I was given:

Beaujolais Chorizo Bread

For the Starter
1 3⁄4 cups (9 3⁄4 oz.) bread flour
1 pinch active dry yeast
3⁄4 tsp. kosher salt

For the Bread
1 2⁄3 cups (13 1⁄2 oz.) beaujolais
1 tbsp. active dry yeast
1 tbsp. kosher salt
4 cups plus 2 tbsp. (1 lb. 6 oz.) bread flour
9 oz. cured chorizo, finely chopped

Make the starter: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, combine the flour, yeast, salt, and 2⁄3 cup water. Mix on low speed until a smooth dough forms, about 2 minutes. Scrape into a large bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let stand at room temperature for four 4 hours.

Make the bread: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, combine 2 1⁄2 oz. (about 1⁄4 cup) of the starter with the beaujolais, yeast, and salt. Stir until smooth. Add flour and mix on low speed until the dough forms. Increase speed to medium and knead until smooth, about 5 minutes. Add chorizo and knead for 5 minutes more. Transfer to a lightly greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let stand until dough is doubled in size, about 1 hour.

Uncover the dough, divide into 2 balls (about 1 1⁄2 lbs. each), and shape each into an 11-inch-long, 3-inch-wide log with tapered ends, placing the seam side facing up. Transfer each to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, cover with plastic wrap and let stand until dough springs back lightly when touched, about 1 1⁄2 hours.
Position a rack in the middle of the oven and another rack on the bottom, and heat the oven to 400°. Place a small metal pan on the lower rack and pour in 1 cup boiling water; then place the bread loaves on the upper rack and bake until crust is golden brown, about 35 minutes. Transfer loaves to a rack and let cool to room temperature before serving.

WTF is kosher salt??? Shrugs:

It's salt that hasn't used iodine in the production and has larger crystals. It's used more in salting meat but because of the larger crystal size its harder to oversalt a recipe. Plus it tastes better.  Thumbs:

Thumbs:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #170 on: June 09, 2018, 09:40:53 PM »

lol: lol: lol: lol:
Well, whatever, nevermind

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #171 on: June 09, 2018, 11:21:59 PM »

lol: lol: lol: lol:

I'm being responsible and recycling old rubbish....  whistle:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #172 on: June 10, 2018, 05:07:19 AM »

I only started using it as an experiment after watching some of the Binging With Babbish Youtube videos.

Gayer:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #173 on: June 10, 2018, 11:37:36 AM »

Gayer:

Those would be the same videos you were drooling over in another thread...  point: