Disgusterous

Author Topic: The All New Book & DVD Review Thread (And Gift Hints)  (Read 410749 times)

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
Re: The All New Book & DVD Review Thread (And Gift Hints)
« Reply #2820 on: November 15, 2018, 09:11:39 PM »
Mrs K is watching Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again

I am of course not watching any bit of it at all, not finding any of it amusing not enjoying any of the almost sung properly musical sections

char048     redface:

noooo:
You'd prolly be dancing to it
Well, whatever, nevermind

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #2821 on: November 16, 2018, 12:34:32 AM »
Mrs K is watching Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again

I am of course not watching any bit of it at all, not finding any of it amusing not enjoying any of the almost sung properly musical sections

char048     redface:

noooo:
You'd prolly be dancing to it

I'm not sure that what BM does can be categorised as dancing...  rubschin:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #2822 on: November 19, 2018, 11:16:03 PM »
Just watched Outlaw King, the Netflix produced film about Robert the Bruce.

Chris Pine does a good job in the role of Robert the Bruce, a character light years away from his previous well known portrayal of James T. Kirk. There is a lot more nuance and subtlety here.

The opening sequence of Outlaw King is an object lesson in effective directing. The single, unbroken shot crams a hell of a lot into about 10 minutes but paces it so that you aren't buried under events. From Robert and some of the other Scottish lords pragmatically swearing allegiance to Edward I, the sparring session between Robert and the Crown Prince and unleashing the infamous trebuchet War Wolf against what I'm pretty certain was Stirling Castle the sequence screams that while the film was made for Netflix this is not going to be a production that is small in scope.

It's clear from the start that the Bruce is struggling between keeping to his oath of allegiance and following his personal sense of honour, something that comes to a head following the execution of William Wallace leading to a failed attempt to ally with a rival to the Scottish throne ending up with him being forced to kill him.

The combat scenes that follow through the film are gritty and don't pull any punches when it comes to the kinds of wounds you could inflict on someone with the weapons available in the 14th century especially when they are wielded by the obligatory screaming celtic nutter character. In another scene, the execution of one of Robert's brothers was heavily toned down compared to the historical accounts of the time but still manages to show the horror of being hung and drawn.

There are the inevitable comparisons between this film and the godawful ranting mess that was Braveheart. But while there are some parts of the film that don't feel particularly fleshed out such as Robert's quest to rescue his wife and daughter, the only way you could have a comprehensive biopic of Robert the Bruce would be to write a TV series. Personally I'd say that Outlaw King is the better film of the two. While there are some mistakes it's certainly the more historically accurate. For one thing, William Wallace was never called Braveheart. That title was given to Robert the Bruce after his death as he had given instructions that his heart was to be removed and buried in Scotland.

Overall it's certainly worth a look  :thumbsup:

The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #2823 on: November 19, 2018, 11:19:26 PM »
 :thumbsup:  Ta

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2824 on: November 21, 2018, 04:29:00 PM »
Just watched Outlaw King, the Netflix produced film about Robert the Bruce.

Chris Pine does a good job in the role of Robert the Bruce, a character light years away from his previous well known portrayal of James T. Kirk. There is a lot more nuance and subtlety here.

The opening sequence of Outlaw King is an object lesson in effective directing. The single, unbroken shot crams a hell of a lot into about 10 minutes but paces it so that you aren't buried under events. From Robert and some of the other Scottish lords pragmatically swearing allegiance to Edward I, the sparring session between Robert and the Crown Prince and unleashing the infamous trebuchet War Wolf against what I'm pretty certain was Stirling Castle the sequence screams that while the film was made for Netflix this is not going to be a production that is small in scope.

It's clear from the start that the Bruce is struggling between keeping to his oath of allegiance and following his personal sense of honour, something that comes to a head following the execution of William Wallace leading to a failed attempt to ally with a rival to the Scottish throne ending up with him being forced to kill him.

The combat scenes that follow through the film are gritty and don't pull any punches when it comes to the kinds of wounds you could inflict on someone with the weapons available in the 14th century especially when they are wielded by the obligatory screaming celtic nutter character. In another scene, the execution of one of Robert's brothers was heavily toned down compared to the historical accounts of the time but still manages to show the horror of being hung and drawn.

There are the inevitable comparisons between this film and the godawful ranting mess that was Braveheart. But while there are some parts of the film that don't feel particularly fleshed out such as Robert's quest to rescue his wife and daughter, the only way you could have a comprehensive biopic of Robert the Bruce would be to write a TV series. Personally I'd say that Outlaw King is the better film of the two. While there are some mistakes it's certainly the more historically accurate. For one thing, William Wallace was never called Braveheart. That title was given to Robert the Bruce after his death as he had given instructions that his heart was to be removed and buried in Scotland.

Overall it's certainly worth a look  :thumbsup:

I have that...  :thumbsup:

But am going to watch The Happytime Murders tonight....  redface:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2825 on: November 21, 2018, 06:35:29 PM »
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2827 on: November 30, 2018, 06:06:20 PM »
Just watched The One I Love...

Mixed reviews:

LL: That is the worst film I have watched evah...  evil:
BM: Sensational!

Sample review from IMDB...

Boy, was that so not what I expected. That's all I'm going to say though, anything else would be a disservice to those who haven't seen it. All I'm going to say is that it's a splendid film. Endlessly intriguing with some superb writing and directing, and two absolutely fantastic leading performances. I remember Mark Duplass from Your Sister's Sister, and he's even better here. A guy to watch out for. The main reason I sought this out was because of Elisabeth Moss, who's already given one of my all-time favorite female performance on television with Mad Men. I was pretty excited to see her for the first time in a film, and as a fan, she still surprised me. She's enormously talented, and her work here isn't unlike her work in Mad Men. She's subdued, and always giving the impression that she's portraying so many different facets of her character beneath the surface. If Duplass is great, Moss adds that extra dimension that makes her work here nothing short of outstanding. It's the best female performance I've seen all year, if maybe only rivaled by Johansson's turn in Under The Skin. And, well, the entire film is one of the best I've seen this year. I strongly recommend this, and recommend everyone sees it without knowing too much about it.
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2828 on: December 01, 2018, 05:35:36 PM »
Watching In Bruges...

Sensational, cast, script and setting....  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #2829 on: December 02, 2018, 08:24:34 AM »
I love that film  :thumbsup:
Skubber

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2831 on: December 02, 2018, 08:40:27 PM »
Smallfoot Excellent!  :thumbsup:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2832 on: December 03, 2018, 07:58:16 PM »
Seven Psychopaths... Most excellent!  cloud9:

Christopher Walken is amazebugs as always... worthy:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2833 on: December 04, 2018, 05:19:13 PM »
Just watched Six Shooter - a short filum by Martin McDonagh...most excellent!  :thumbsup:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2834 on: December 05, 2018, 06:31:33 PM »
Watching Shock and Awe...  :thumbsup:
Pro Skub  Thumbs: