Disgusterous

Author Topic: The All New Book & DVD Review Thread (And Gift Hints)  (Read 410411 times)

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
I mostly despair

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
Re: The All New Book & DVD Review Thread (And Gift Hints)
« Reply #2523 on: August 25, 2017, 09:28:40 PM »
Going to watch Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie...  redface:

Tra la laaaaaaa!  lol:

cloud9:

The blackmail potential of photographs of BM dressed up as the character don't quite make up for the absolute horror resulting from such a sight...  eeek:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2524 on: September 06, 2017, 06:01:38 PM »
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #2525 on: September 09, 2017, 02:21:55 AM »
Just come back from watching IT.

Bloody hell!

I'll start this by saying that this is only part one of the story, Chapter 2 will cover when the kids have grown up and have to return to face Pennywise once more.

Set in Derry, Stephen King's version of small town America, the plot has been brought forward from the 1950's to 1988 and there is a strong 'Stand By Me' feel to the early part of the film. In fact The members of the Losers Club come across as natural and charismatic and there is an easy camaraderie between them. This is soon put to the test however when Pennywise starts making more appearances, and when he does he includes almost everything but the kitchen sink (although there is a scene with the one in the bathroom that puts Carrie to shame).

As with all Stephen King works there parts of the story that have been based upon obscure historical events, in this case the disappearance of the people who originally signed the town charter shares a clear parallel with the Roanoak colony mystery of 1585.

While Miss D will undoubtably disagree with me there is only so much you can do to make a clown truly horrific and Skarsgard does a blinding job with Pennywise, basically becoming the epitome of every scary clown meme that has ever made it into the media. Swapping between talking to kids in order to lure them away to turning into their worst nightmares or just attacking them with no warning whatsoever. Combine that with the work done by the special effects team and you end up with a monster is truly unnerving to watch. Having read the book and seen the Tim Curry version I knew that Georgie was going to be grabbed at the start of the film but there was no gentle 'ease you into the film' approach it was a brutal opening.

While I did find myself doing it you can't really compare the 2 portrayals of Pennywise as comparing Tim Curry's Pennywise to this one is like comparing Nickelson's Joker to Ledger's, both good but very different.

Speaking of Tim Curry if you keep an eye out you do see his version of Pennywise make an appearance during the film which I thought was a nice tip of the hat to him.

All in all the film is certainly worth a look and I'm eagerly waiting for chapter 2.  :thumbsup:

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #2526 on: September 09, 2017, 06:18:18 AM »
Sicko  noooo: noooo: noooo:

The Brat was trying to bribe me to go and watch it with her  noooo: noooo: noooo: - delusional mare  noooo: noooo: noooo:

Skubber

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2527 on: September 09, 2017, 06:18:41 AM »
Sicko  noooo: noooo: noooo:

The Brat was trying to bribe me to go and watch it with her  noooo: noooo: noooo: - delusional mare  noooo: noooo: noooo:

lol: lol: lol:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #2528 on: September 09, 2017, 07:53:35 AM »
Just come back from watching IT.

Bloody hell!

I'll start this by saying that this is only part one of the story, Chapter 2 will cover when the kids have grown up and have to return to face Pennywise once more.

Set in Derry, Stephen King's version of small town America, the plot has been brought forward from the 1950's to 1988 and there is a strong 'Stand By Me' feel to the early part of the film. In fact The members of the Losers Club come across as natural and charismatic and there is an easy camaraderie between them. This is soon put to the test however when Pennywise starts making more appearances, and when he does he includes almost everything but the kitchen sink (although there is a scene with the one in the bathroom that puts Carrie to shame).

As with all Stephen King works there parts of the story that have been based upon obscure historical events, in this case the disappearance of the people who originally signed the town charter shares a clear parallel with the Roanoak colony mystery of 1585.

While Miss D will undoubtably disagree with me there is only so much you can do to make a clown truly horrific and Skarsgard does a blinding job with Pennywise, basically becoming the epitome of every scary clown meme that has ever made it into the media. Swapping between talking to kids in order to lure them away to turning into their worst nightmares or just attacking them with no warning whatsoever. Combine that with the work done by the special effects team and you end up with a monster is truly unnerving to watch. Having read the book and seen the Tim Curry version I knew that Georgie was going to be grabbed at the start of the film but there was no gentle 'ease you into the film' approach it was a brutal opening.

While I did find myself doing it you can't really compare the 2 portrayals of Pennywise as comparing Tim Curry's Pennywise to this one is like comparing Nickelson's Joker to Ledger's, both good but very different.

Speaking of Tim Curry if you keep an eye out you do see his version of Pennywise make an appearance during the film which I thought was a nice tip of the hat to him.

All in all the film is certainly worth a look and I'm eagerly waiting for chapter 2.  :thumbsup:
Mark Kermode eat your heart out  worthy:.  Brilliant reviewing Meister but not a fillum for me
Well, whatever, nevermind

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #2529 on: September 09, 2017, 11:48:55 AM »
The Limehouse Golem will probably be next  rubschin:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #2530 on: September 13, 2017, 09:57:09 PM »
Not so much a review as a "I'm curious enough that I may actually buy this...". I'd been waiting to see what they would do with The Life of Brian after Spamalot was as big a hit as it was...  rubschin:

http://youtu.be/l3aUBLMH_II

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #2531 on: September 13, 2017, 10:50:02 PM »
Not so much a review as a "I'm curious enough that I may actually buy this...". I'd been waiting to see what they would do with The Life of Brian after Spamalot was as big a hit as it was...  rubschin:

rubschin:  "Published on 26 May 2010"

Well, whatever, nevermind

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #2532 on: September 13, 2017, 10:54:20 PM »

rubschin:  "Published on 26 May 2010"

I was half expecting them to do something along the lines of Spamalot so this slipped past my notice..  redface:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2533 on: September 16, 2017, 06:57:40 PM »
Just watched A Boy Called Po...

I sat through it so you don't have to...  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Nick

« Reply #2534 on: September 16, 2017, 07:04:46 PM »
Our hero  ::)
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile