Disgusterous

Author Topic: The All New Book & DVD Review Thread (And Gift Hints)  (Read 411475 times)

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Re: The All New Book & DVD Review Thread (And Gift Hints)
« Reply #2190 on: January 13, 2017, 03:15:40 PM »
You didn't need to tell us ...we kinda guessed  ;D

redface:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #2191 on: January 13, 2017, 04:24:06 PM »
Rotten Tomatoes (via Wiki) was less kind

"Critical response
The Girl on the Train received mixed reviews from critics. On review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes the film has an approval rating of 43% based on 226 reviews, with an average rating of 5.4/10. The site's critical consensus reads, "Emily Blunt's outstanding performance isn't enough to keep The Girl on the Train from sliding sluggishly into exploitative melodrama"

But have to say Emily Blunt is a brilliant Actress
Well, whatever, nevermind

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2192 on: January 13, 2017, 06:46:27 PM »
Rotten Tomatoes (via Wiki) was less kind

"Critical response
The Girl on the Train received mixed reviews from critics. On review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes the film has an approval rating of 43% based on 226 reviews, with an average rating of 5.4/10. The site's critical consensus reads, "Emily Blunt's outstanding performance isn't enough to keep The Girl on the Train from sliding sluggishly into exploitative melodrama"

But have to say Emily Blunt is a brilliant Actress

Don't watch it then... ::)
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Pirate

• Senior Moment
« Reply #2193 on: January 14, 2017, 07:47:57 PM »
Watched The Girl On The Train last night... I enjoyed it...  :thumbsup:

Grumpeister Stylee Review*

We've all experienced the same monotonous train commute to work in our lives at some point. You go by the same places and see the same faces each and every day. None of us have quite had a commute that changes our lives quite like Rachel Watson in The Girl on the Train though.

Emily Blunt stars as Rachel Watson, an alcoholic divorcée who takes the same train to work each day. On her journey, Rachel fantasises about the relationship of Scott (Luke Evans) and Megan Hipwell (Haley Bennett), who live a few doors down from her ex-husband, Tom (Justin Theroux), and his new wife, Anna (Rebecca Ferguson).

Rachel's unstable state leads her on a downward spiral that sees her embroiled in a missing persons investigation that will change her life forever.

Based on the best-selling novel by Paula Hawkins, The Girl on the Train is a mystery thriller that reminded me of David Fincher's Gone Girl, which is not a bad thing at all. Now, while I don't think this is a better film than Gone Girl, I do think it serves up a worthy mystery that kept me guessing right up until the twist/reveal later on in the story.

The narrative is told from the point of view of the three main female characters; Rachel, Anna and Megan. It could have easily become quite convoluted and messy yet Erin Cressida Wilson's screenplay allows things to move along smoothly and without any confusion.

A lot of my hopes for this film were depending on the twist/reveal that would undoubtedly arrive in a mystery like this. Thankfully I can say that it was very well done and actually offered something totally different to what I was expecting. Yes, it gets a little far-fetched in the final act but if you go with it, The Girl on the Train really is a suspenseful watch.

Coming to the performances, The Girl on the Train features a great lead performance from Emily Blunt and a solid supporting cast, Haley Bennett and Rebecca Ferguson jumping on the paranoia train with Emily Blunt to great effect.

So, if you're a fan of either mysteries or thrillers, The Girl on the Train will be a journey you want to go on. If not, best to wait at the platform for the next train.

* wot I nicked from the interwebz...  redface:

Just watched it... :thumbsup:

Miss D as Rachel... scared:

Tipsy as Megan... :sex023:

Miss T as Anna... eyes:

Apey as the villain... scared2:

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2194 on: January 14, 2017, 07:50:19 PM »

We've all experienced the same monotonous train commute to work in our lives at some point. You go by the same places and see the same faces each and every day. None of us have quite had a commute that changes our lives quite like Rachel Watson in The Girl on the Train though.

Emily Blunt stars as Rachel Watson, an alcoholic divorcée who takes the same train to work each day. On her journey, Rachel fantasises about the relationship of Scott (Luke Evans) and Megan Hipwell (Haley Bennett), who live a few doors down from her ex-husband, Tom (Justin Theroux), and his new wife, Anna (Rebecca Ferguson).

Rachel's unstable state leads her on a downward spiral that sees her embroiled in a missing persons investigation that will change her life forever.

Based on the best-selling novel by Paula Hawkins, The Girl on the Train is a mystery thriller that reminded me of David Fincher's Gone Girl, which is not a bad thing at all. Now, while I don't think this is a better film than Gone Girl, I do think it serves up a worthy mystery that kept me guessing right up until the twist/reveal later on in the story.

The narrative is told from the point of view of the three main female characters; Rachel, Anna and Megan. It could have easily become quite convoluted and messy yet Erin Cressida Wilson's screenplay allows things to move along smoothly and without any confusion.

A lot of my hopes for this film were depending on the twist/reveal that would undoubtedly arrive in a mystery like this. Thankfully I can say that it was very well done and actually offered something totally different to what I was expecting. Yes, it gets a little far-fetched in the final act but if you go with it, The Girl on the Train really is a suspenseful watch.

Coming to the performances, The Girl on the Train features a great lead performance from Emily Blunt and a solid supporting cast, Haley Bennett and Rebecca Ferguson jumping on the paranoia train with Emily Blunt to great effect.

So, if you're a fan of either mysteries or thrillers, The Girl on the Train will be a journey you want to go on. If not, best to wait at the platform for the next train.

Miss T as Anna... eyes:

rubschin:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Pirate

• Senior Moment
« Reply #2195 on: January 14, 2017, 08:30:46 PM »

Miss T as Anna... eyes:

rubschin:

Yeah, I know...I'm dead

Offline Pirate

• Senior Moment
« Reply #2196 on: January 14, 2017, 08:35:52 PM »
Watching the Magnificent Seven now...

Megan is in that too... :sex023:

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2197 on: January 15, 2017, 06:00:58 PM »
Watching Race....  cloud9:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster
« Reply #2198 on: January 15, 2017, 07:10:33 PM »

Spoiler alert .......He wins ........... Thumbs:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #2199 on: January 15, 2017, 07:14:07 PM »

Spoiler alert .......He wins ........... Thumbs:

noooo:  no I think you'll find Hitler loses in the end. 
Well, whatever, nevermind

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2200 on: January 15, 2017, 07:30:00 PM »
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2201 on: January 16, 2017, 07:37:09 PM »
Denial = excellent....  cloud9:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2202 on: January 21, 2017, 04:20:14 PM »
Watched Arrival last night - good...

Gonna watch some owld Meryl Streep film tonight...

Some friends have gone to the cinema to see La La Land... happy001
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster
« Reply #2203 on: January 21, 2017, 05:55:34 PM »

Going to watch Arrival..it better be good,,,,,,,,, rubschin:

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2204 on: January 21, 2017, 07:54:29 PM »

Going to watch Arrival..it better be good,,,,,,,,, rubschin:

Worth what you paid for it I expect....  ;)

Gave up on Ms. Streep (poor quality) and watched Nocturnal Animals instead - awesome!  eeek:
Pro Skub  Thumbs: