Author Topic: The All New Book & DVD Review Thread (And Gift Hints)  (Read 411535 times)

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Re: The All New Book & DVD Review Thread (And Gift Hints)
« Reply #2175 on: December 29, 2016, 08:24:39 PM »
Just watched Hell or High Water...

Very good!  :thumbsup:

Some of the dialogue hard to comprehend due to broad Texas accents...

You on Android or a Mag box...?

Android + Kodi + Exodus...  Thumbs:

Don't tell Steve...  ;)
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2176 on: December 29, 2016, 08:25:06 PM »
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Nick

« Reply #2177 on: December 29, 2016, 08:28:32 PM »
Big Sis wants to watch The Revenant now. I am not so sure............
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2178 on: December 29, 2016, 08:29:10 PM »
Big Sis wants to watch The Revenant now. I am not so sure............

Utter shite...  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Nick

« Reply #2179 on: December 29, 2016, 08:32:54 PM »
 :thumbsup:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #2180 on: December 29, 2016, 08:33:35 PM »
Well, whatever, nevermind

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2181 on: December 31, 2016, 07:29:15 PM »
Watching The Big Short....  cloud9:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2182 on: December 31, 2016, 08:21:33 PM »
Splendid!  Thumbs:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #2183 on: January 12, 2017, 01:03:48 AM »
Decided to do something for my birthday that I haven't done since I was a kid and do a double cinema stint seeing Star Wars Rogue 1 and Assassins Creed.

I will admit, after seeing what had been done with Episode 7 (introducing Darth Emo and recycling huge plot sections of New Hope and Empire Strikes Back I wasn’t overly confident about this film but being able to introduce an almost entirely new and diverse cast with a couple of exceptions has allowed Rogue One to slide neatly into the existing plot of the original Star Wars trilogy (technically you could call it episode 3 ½).

The pace is quick, moving from setting to setting, while at the same time, keeping plot details simple and easy follow. The Rebels find out about the Death Star after being sent a message by the protagonist’s father and ends up with a mission to obtain the plans for the station. While you can argue that it isn’t as fleshed out as the other Star Wars films it was only about a single event leading up to Episode 4 and so that was bound to be the case.

Existing characters have also made an appearance in one form or another, the CGI Peter Cushing used to reprise the role of Governor Tarquin was extremely well done. You can still tell it’s CGI but the level of detail and texturing makes me think that we are about a year away at most of having CGI characters in films that you can’t tell aren’t real actors.

The only one that didn’t seem right was Vader. I first remember watching A New Hope as a kid and being terrified of him and even when I was older it was clear that teaming David Prowse with James Earl Jones had given the series a character with a hell of a presence. This time around you don’t get that feeling, partly I think because on the one close up of him I was wondering if his helmet had been a Poundland special. 

Overall for the first of the spinoff films that Disney has planned for the franchise it was a good effort and hopefully bodes well for their 1 film a year plan.

And now for Assassin's Creed

Having seen it get panned by the critics I wasn’t expecting to be overly impressed with Assassins Creed. Historically video game adaptations have a curse of being seen as garbage primarily because with very few exceptions Hollywood directors aren’t gamers. This is especially evident in the case of Ewe Bolle who is probably unique in the fact that over 200,000 people signed a petition asking him to stop making films.

At this point I should point out I'm a fan of the franchise and have played most of the games in the series.  redface:

I have to admit however, that this was a fun action flick and it does a good job in capturing the essence of the games, switching between modern day and reliving the past through his ancestor’s genetic memories. And for fans of the game there are plenty of easter eggs hidden throughout the film such as Rebecca's baby in the background of the Animus room.

The basic plot is that death-row inmate Callum Lynch is executed for killing a pimp. He then wakes up in a research facility in Madrid owned by Abstergo Industries, the present-day incarnation of the shadowy Templars, where he's drugged, hooked up to the Animus, a device that allows you to experience the memories of your ancestors…., and virtually reincarnated as his ancestor Aguilar de, Nerha who in the 15th-century lead a secret society of assassins in a mission to capture the "Apple of Eden" from the Knights Templar to protect the right of free will., during the Spanish Inquisition.

Visually it’s a stunning film, with the 15th century sections filled with swooping camera movements during scenes where Aguilar and fellow assassin Maria leap across rooftops and through buildings, slicing and dicing whatever gets in the way of their good fight, Assassin's Creed catches the dizzying allure you want in a game and a movie

The film blatantly sets itself up for a sequel so if that does happen it will be interesting to see how they flesh out the other aspects of the precursors that made the game plots so engaging.

While perhaps not for everyone, fans of the will certainly enjoy it.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #2184 on: January 12, 2017, 08:42:58 AM »
Decided to do something for my birthday that I haven't done since I was a kid and do a double cinema stint seeing Star Wars Rogue 1 and Assassins Creed.

I will admit, after seeing what had been done with Episode 7 (introducing Darth Emo and recycling huge plot sections of New Hope and Empire Strikes Back I wasn’t overly confident about this film but being able to introduce an almost entirely new and diverse cast with a couple of exceptions has allowed Rogue One to slide neatly into the existing plot of the original Star Wars trilogy (technically you could call it episode 3 ½).

The pace is quick, moving from setting to setting, while at the same time, keeping plot details simple and easy follow. The Rebels find out about the Death Star after being sent a message by the protagonist’s father and ends up with a mission to obtain the plans for the station. While you can argue that it isn’t as fleshed out as the other Star Wars films it was only about a single event leading up to Episode 4 and so that was bound to be the case.

Existing characters have also made an appearance in one form or another, the CGI Peter Cushing used to reprise the role of Governor Tarquin was extremely well done. You can still tell it’s CGI but the level of detail and texturing makes me think that we are about a year away at most of having CGI characters in films that you can’t tell aren’t real actors.

The only one that didn’t seem right was Vader. I first remember watching A New Hope as a kid and being terrified of him and even when I was older it was clear that teaming David Prowse with James Earl Jones had given the series a character with a hell of a presence. This time around you don’t get that feeling, partly I think because on the one close up of him I was wondering if his helmet had been a Poundland special. 

Overall for the first of the spinoff films that Disney has planned for the franchise it was a good effort and hopefully bodes well for their 1 film a year plan.

Having seen it get panned by the critics I wasn’t expecting to be overly impressed with Assassins Creed. Historically video game adaptations have a curse of being seen as garbage primarily because with very few exceptions Hollywood directors aren’t gamers. This is especially evident in the case of Ewe Bolle who is probably unique in the fact that over 200,000 people signed a petition asking him to stop making films.

At this point I should point out I'm a fan of the franchise and have played most of the games in the series.  redface:

I have to admit however, that this was a fun action flick and it does a good job in capturing the essence of the games, switching between modern day and reliving the past through his ancestor’s genetic memories. And for fans of the game there are plenty of easter eggs hidden throughout the film such as Rebecca's baby in the background of the Animus room.

The basic plot is that death-row inmate Callum Lynch is executed for killing a pimp. He then wakes up in a research facility in Madrid owned by Abstergo Industries, the present-day incarnation of the shadowy Templars, where he's drugged, hooked up to the Animus, a device that allows you to experience the memories of your ancestors…., and virtually reincarnated as his ancestor Aguilar de, Nerha who in the 15th-century lead a secret society of assassins in a mission to capture the "Apple of Eden" from the Knights Templar to protect the right of free will., during the Spanish Inquisition.

Visually it’s a stunning film, with the 15th century sections filled with swooping camera movements during scenes where Aguilar and fellow assassin Maria leap across rooftops and through buildings, slicing and dicing whatever gets in the way of their good fight, Assassin's Creed catches the dizzying allure you want in a game and a movie

The film blatantly sets itself up for a sequel so if that does happen it will be interesting to see how they flesh out the other aspects of the precursors that made the game plots so engaging.

Barry Norman lives!  worthy:
I mostly despair

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #2185 on: January 12, 2017, 11:41:21 AM »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Ta for that Meister
Well, whatever, nevermind

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #2186 on: January 12, 2017, 12:36:19 PM »

Ta for that Meister

I get 2 free cinema tickets a week so this could become a regular review.  :thumbsup:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2187 on: January 12, 2017, 01:49:53 PM »

Ta for that Meister

I get 2 free cinema tickets a week so this could become a regular review.  :thumbsup:

Thumbs:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2188 on: January 13, 2017, 03:01:10 PM »
Watched The Girl On The Train last night... I enjoyed it...  :thumbsup:

Grumpeister Stylee Review*

We've all experienced the same monotonous train commute to work in our lives at some point. You go by the same places and see the same faces each and every day. None of us have quite had a commute that changes our lives quite like Rachel Watson in The Girl on the Train though.

Emily Blunt stars as Rachel Watson, an alcoholic divorcée who takes the same train to work each day. On her journey, Rachel fantasises about the relationship of Scott (Luke Evans) and Megan Hipwell (Haley Bennett), who live a few doors down from her ex-husband, Tom (Justin Theroux), and his new wife, Anna (Rebecca Ferguson).

Rachel's unstable state leads her on a downward spiral that sees her embroiled in a missing persons investigation that will change her life forever.

Based on the best-selling novel by Paula Hawkins, The Girl on the Train is a mystery thriller that reminded me of David Fincher's Gone Girl, which is not a bad thing at all. Now, while I don't think this is a better film than Gone Girl, I do think it serves up a worthy mystery that kept me guessing right up until the twist/reveal later on in the story.

The narrative is told from the point of view of the three main female characters; Rachel, Anna and Megan. It could have easily become quite convoluted and messy yet Erin Cressida Wilson's screenplay allows things to move along smoothly and without any confusion.

A lot of my hopes for this film were depending on the twist/reveal that would undoubtedly arrive in a mystery like this. Thankfully I can say that it was very well done and actually offered something totally different to what I was expecting. Yes, it gets a little far-fetched in the final act but if you go with it, The Girl on the Train really is a suspenseful watch.

Coming to the performances, The Girl on the Train features a great lead performance from Emily Blunt and a solid supporting cast, Haley Bennett and Rebecca Ferguson jumping on the paranoia train with Emily Blunt to great effect.

So, if you're a fan of either mysteries or thrillers, The Girl on the Train will be a journey you want to go on. If not, best to wait at the platform for the next train.

* wot I nicked from the interwebz...  redface:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #2189 on: January 13, 2017, 03:14:25 PM »
You didn't need to tell us ...we kinda guessed  ;D
Skubber