Disgusterous

Author Topic: The All New Book & DVD Review Thread (And Gift Hints)  (Read 411648 times)

Offline TG

• Fool Member
Re: The All New Book & DVD Review Thread (And Gift Hints)
« Reply #1020 on: June 05, 2012, 03:22:23 PM »
Prometheus - storyline was really disappointing and weak. No stand out acting performances  noooo: Lots of cliches  noooo:

A bit harsh. I liked this though I thought it was bit of a missed opportunity in some ways.

Interestingly, I see that Scott's next film will be a sequel to Blade Runner.

He must be going through a phase of making sequels to his own films. If he tries to make a sequel to 'Robin Hood' I may have him assassinated.
I think my cat wants to kill me...

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #1021 on: June 05, 2012, 03:35:11 PM »
For me it just didn't live up to the hype.

Another film relying on the fact that it is in 3D and so the effects are good but the content lacking !
Skubber

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #1022 on: June 05, 2012, 03:41:25 PM »
TG what did you make of why the alien at the beginning committed suicide - what was the relevance ?

Was he upset with his own kind or was it a more insidious reason ?

I was confuslimicated by that  whacky115
Skubber

Offline TG

• Fool Member
« Reply #1023 on: June 05, 2012, 03:50:48 PM »
TG what did you make of why the alien at the beginning committed suicide - what was the relevance ?

Was he upset with his own kind or was it a more insidious reason ?

I was confuslimicated by that  whacky115

I assumed this was the aliens way of injecting its DNA into the human race. Assuming that sequence was set on Earth rather than on the alien planet. Who knows?

I saw this in 3d and the only time I noticed it was in 3d was the navigation bit where the robot bloke got all the answers. Otherwise 3d was unnecessary and pointless.

I rather liked the warning message at the end that became the 'distress' signal that drew in Ripley and 3 sequels.

Having said all that I will buy myself a BluRay copy of this and watch it again nor did I feel robbed at the cinema price.

I think my cat wants to kill me...

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #1024 on: June 16, 2012, 05:55:52 PM »
{geek] Sorry TG, the message doesn't become the distress signal picked up in Alien. Prometheus lands on LV223, Acheron is LV428[/geek]

I didn't think the film was that bad. certainly better than the AVP prequel efforts. I think you are right about the sequel(s) though, something tells me this is less a prequel and more a reboot of the whole franchise.

The start of the film does look like it was either their way to seed DNA onto a planet or someone who was already infected committing suicide before it was too late.

The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #1025 on: June 25, 2012, 07:42:55 PM »
So lots of wimmin are raving about this there 50 Shades of Grey  book - dirty book allegedly  . What a load of utter tosh it is  noooo:

We were talking about 'those' kind of books which we read during our teens etc .....and the trash stuff such as the one line we all remember " putting goldfish up yer flue"  - one book we all read  ;)
Skubber

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #1026 on: June 25, 2012, 07:45:35 PM »
So lots of wimmin are raving about this there 50 Shades of Grey  book - dirty book allegedly  . What a load of utter tosh it is  noooo:

We were talking about 'those' kind of books which we read during our teens etc .....and the trash stuff such as the one line we all remember " putting goldfish up yer flue"  - one book we all read  ;)

So you read it then  whistle:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #1027 on: June 25, 2012, 07:50:08 PM »
Of course. My nose is bigger than my brain  lol:
Skubber

Offline Tipsy Gipsy

• Power Poster
« Reply #1028 on: June 25, 2012, 09:49:00 PM »

A trilogy of trash no less.
It's better than I ever even knew.  They say that the world was built for two.  Only worth living if somebody is loving you.  Baby now you do.

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #1029 on: June 26, 2012, 04:41:31 AM »
Indeed .....not sure how many will bother with the second and third book though with the first one being lamer than a dead horse  noooo:
Skubber

Offline Just One More

• Power Poster
« Reply #1030 on: June 26, 2012, 06:09:38 AM »
Miss D has obviously been spoilt
LiFe - It's an "F" in lie

Offline Tipsy Gipsy

• Power Poster
« Reply #1031 on: June 26, 2012, 06:11:40 AM »
However, I picked this up as I passed through the book palaces at Hay on Sunday and so far is keeping me amused.  It also reflects the way I approach travelling too.  ;D

http://www.janetseclecticreviews.org.uk/articles.php?article_id=494
It's better than I ever even knew.  They say that the world was built for two.  Only worth living if somebody is loving you.  Baby now you do.

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #1032 on: June 26, 2012, 08:09:32 AM »
Miss D has obviously been spoilt

Like an Egyptian ballot paper?
I mostly despair

Offline Just One More

• Power Poster
« Reply #1033 on: June 27, 2012, 08:54:25 PM »

LiFe - It's an "F" in lie

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #1034 on: June 28, 2012, 07:56:06 AM »

LL is reading it now!  eeek:
Pro Skub  Thumbs: