Author Topic: The All New Book & DVD Review Thread (And Gift Hints)  (Read 411456 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
Re: The All New Book & DVD Review Thread (And Gift Hints)
« Reply #885 on: May 05, 2011, 09:30:20 AM »
Currently reading the latest translation of http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51RZJhV-4gL._AA115_.jpg.
Fascinating .... not the first time I have read Pepy's Diaries but this is the fullest version yet and has added input from contemporaries and other records. Most excellent.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
« Reply #886 on: May 27, 2011, 04:35:46 PM »
I've just started reading Waterlog by Richard Deakin, so far very entertaining and an oblique take on a British travelogue  happy088

http://www.randomhouse.co.uk/features/waterlog/
Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Online Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #887 on: May 27, 2011, 04:47:15 PM »
 happy088 happy088
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
« Reply #888 on: May 29, 2011, 05:53:24 PM »
Le Quattro Volte ~ Dir. Michaelangelo Frammartino ~ Cinema viewing

Do NOT get this out on DVD if it ever makes it to that format. I suspect the person doesn't exist who would have the necessary patience to sit through this piece of Art movie in a home setting with all the distractions around. I doubt it will ever make it to a cinema near you unless you have the sort of place that enjoys showing last year's Reykjavík International Film Festival winner  ;).

To say that it's slow would be an understatement, glacial would be closer. There is no dialogue and no story in the conventional sense of the word. It's not funny and there's definitley no shagging. A reviewer on IMDb gave this:

Run, don't walk, from this movie. It is excruciatingly boring and this from a person who likes slow movies. Think minimum of one-minute-long takes focused on the same subject where absolutely nothing happens. The message was supposed to be quite deep, I suppose, but it really wasn't "all that" – instead rather mundane. Numerous flaws were evident – the same goat wasn't even used throughout "the goat's" life (you could see from its markings), and at one point you could see that it was tied up so that it couldn't go far where instead it was supposed to have been stuck in a ditch. The landscape and village shots were supposed to be very beautiful, but actually they were nothing special and the colour washed out, at that. At one of the scenes which was supposed to be beautiful, I actually closed my eyes to rest from the crushing monotony of the film...

Alternatively, if you like goats, there are plenty of them and some stunning, Calabrian landscape. I had worked out that Le Quattro Volte means 'the four turns' and this is the key to unlocking the riddle that is the film. If you're feeling in a meditative and reflective mood and fancy pondering the Pythagorean conjecture or four reincarnations then set aside a few hours to go and see it.

IMDb gives it 7.5 / 10 ... I imagine a VP rating would be more like  ::) ::) ::) ::)   

razz:

Online Nick

« Reply #889 on: May 29, 2011, 05:59:53 PM »
Any shagging?

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #890 on: May 29, 2011, 06:17:25 PM »
Any shagging?

You utter mong...  ::)

To say that it's slow would be an understatement, glacial would be closer. There is no dialogue and no story in the conventional sense of the word. It's not funny and there's definitley no shagging. A reviewer on IMDb gave this:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #891 on: May 29, 2011, 06:19:50 PM »
Le Quattro Volte ~ Dir. Michaelangelo Frammartino ~ Cinema viewing

Do NOT get this out on DVD if it ever makes it to that format. I suspect the person doesn't exist who would have the necessary patience to sit through this piece of Art movie in a home setting with all the distractions around. I doubt it will ever make it to a cinema near you unless you have the sort of place that enjoys showing last year's Reykjavík International Film Festival winner  ;).

Run, don't walk, from this movie. It is excruciatingly boring and this from a person who likes slow movies. Think minimum of one-minute-long takes focused on the same subject where absolutely nothing happens. The message was supposed to be quite deep, I suppose, but it really wasn't "all that" – instead rather mundane. Numerous flaws were evident – the same goat wasn't even used throughout "the goat's" life (you could see from its markings), and at one point you could see that it was tied up so that it couldn't go far where instead it was supposed to have been stuck in a ditch. The landscape and village shots were supposed to be very beautiful, but actually they were nothing special and the colour washed out, at that. At one of the scenes which was supposed to be beautiful, I actually closed my eyes to rest from the crushing monotony of the film...

Alternatively, if you like goats, there are plenty of them and some stunning, Calabrian landscape. I had worked out that Le Quattro Volte means 'the four turns' and this is the key to unlocking the riddle that is the film. If you're feeling in a meditative and reflective mood and fancy pondering the Pythagorean conjecture or four reincarnations then set aside a few hours to go and see it.

IMDb gives it 7.5 / 10 ... I imagine a VP rating would be more like  ::) ::) ::) ::)   

razz:

So essentially the film juxtaposes the monotony of the goat's life with the supposed excitement  of that of a human...?  rubschin:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Online Nick

« Reply #892 on: May 29, 2011, 06:26:36 PM »
Any shagging?

redface:

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #893 on: May 29, 2011, 06:27:44 PM »
Any shagging?

redface:

point:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
« Reply #894 on: May 29, 2011, 06:56:48 PM »

So essentially the film juxtaposes the monotony of the goat's life with the supposed excitement  of that of a human...?  rubschin:

Not quite. I'd say the monotony of the old goatherd's life fails miserably compared to the high jinx of being born again as a goat  ;D . But, and this is stretching the 4 reincarnations theory to the limit, being born again as a fir tree has it's moments ... until of course the local village decide you're the one for the celebrations and you become denuded, cut down and climbed upon  sad32:

Finally, we all end up as charcoal and I must say that segment of the film was fascinating and beautifully filmed  razz:

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #895 on: May 29, 2011, 06:58:18 PM »

Not quite. I'd say the monotony of the old goatherd's life fails miserably compared to the high jinx of being born again as a goat  ;D . But, and this is stretching the 4 reincarnations theory to the limit, being born again as a fir tree has it's moments ... until of course the local village decide you're the one for the celebrations and you become denuded, cut down and climbed upon  sad32:

Finally, we all end up as charcoal and I must say that segment of the film was fascinating and beautifully filmed  razz:

I just wanted to say 'juxtaposed'...  redface:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
« Reply #896 on: May 29, 2011, 07:00:50 PM »
 lol: lol:

And so you did. Lahvely werd, innit?  ;)

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #897 on: May 29, 2011, 07:01:22 PM »
lol: lol:

And so you did. Lahvely werd, innit?  ;)

yes...  redface:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Online Nick

« Reply #898 on: June 06, 2011, 02:33:59 PM »
I watched a terrible film last night. I can't recall the title, but everyone died in the end and I didn't care  happy088

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #899 on: June 06, 2011, 02:39:13 PM »
Thanks for the info ~ I'll make sure I don't bother to watch that film then  happy088
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.