Author Topic: The All New Book & DVD Review Thread (And Gift Hints)  (Read 411742 times)

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
Re: The All New Book & DVD Review Thread (And Gift Hints)
« Reply #840 on: January 23, 2011, 07:31:57 PM »
I looked up stuff about her after watching it . She died of a heart attack  exacerbated by her weight ( nearly 20 stone ) - allegedly after her lover left her she resorted to comfort eating  scared2:
Skubber

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #841 on: January 23, 2011, 07:33:37 PM »
Wot sort of eating was she doing before...?  rubschin:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Nick

« Reply #842 on: January 23, 2011, 07:35:40 PM »
Wasn't John Le Mesurier a big dope smoker?  It would explain his famous vagueness
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #843 on: January 23, 2011, 07:37:13 PM »

She was prolly burning more calories then though  whistle:
Skubber

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #844 on: January 23, 2011, 07:38:51 PM »

She was prolly burning more calories then though  whistle:

She was a fat biffa - she was obviously taking in more pies than she was burning off...  whistle:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #846 on: February 22, 2011, 07:59:23 PM »
Watched  'The Social Network' yesterday.

A Miss D thumbs up .

The story of the guy that started Facebook , the weird world of geeks and genius's and business ethics . Undecided on whether I liked the central character , an arrogant twat on many occasions but the other characters ( Harvard types and dot.com industry types ) do not come out well either.

Was most interesting though  - especially as Faceache is now claiming to be worth 600 billion squid  eeek: eeek: eeek:
Skubber

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #847 on: February 23, 2011, 04:02:58 PM »
I'm gonna watch Taxi Driver tonight....  eveilgrin:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Nick

« Reply #848 on: February 23, 2011, 04:12:34 PM »
Why, where are you going?
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #849 on: February 23, 2011, 04:15:42 PM »
Why, where are you going?

Stupid boy!  ::)
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #851 on: February 28, 2011, 08:24:46 AM »
Watched The Damned United last night, the Brian Clough movie with  Michael Sheen...

Quote from: Amazon
Based on the best-selling book of the same name, The Damned United is the story of one of Britain’s finest ever football managers, Brian Clough, and his curtailed 44-day reign at the helm of Leeds United. It turns out it’s also the tale of his formative years at Derby County, the story of his rivalry with previous Leeds United boss Don Revie, and ultimately, the exploration of his relationship with his assistant, Peter Taylor.

The film explores the story by moving backwards and forwards in time, but always at the heart of The Damned United is its trump card. Michael Sheen has already richly deserved an abundance of plaudits in his acting career, not least for his superb portrayal of David Frost in Frost/Nixon, and he carves out another terrific performance here. Taking on the challenge of playing the larger than life Clough, his work here is tremendous, and the highlight of an already-strong cast that also features Timothy Spall and Colm Meaney.

On the screen, the story of The Damned United is actually distilled into quite a straightforward tale, albeit one considerably enhanced by its aforementioned cast. It wisely keeps its running time trimmed, and while you can’t help but suspect that there’s much to the story that’s not explored here, it’s a good, solid telling of a quite extraordinary tale. Sheen won’t, of course, attract Oscar-attention for such a resoundingly British role, but surely his time, on this latest piece of evidence, will come. --Jon Foster

I thought it was absolutely bloody excellent - Five Thumbs Up!  happy088 happy088 happy088 happy088 happy088

Some great extras on the DVD too including some deleted scenes which should have really been in the film IMHO...

Well worth the £4 LL paid for it or even £4.69 that Amazon are charging...

Um... even if you are a complete non-football head like me....  redface:

Oh, and there is no shagging whatsoever....  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #852 on: February 28, 2011, 08:30:55 AM »
Watched The Damned United last night, the Brian Clough movie with  Michael Sheen...
I thought it was absolutely bloody excellent - Five Thumbs Up!  happy088 happy088 happy088 happy088 happy088

Brilliant movie ..... it took me about five minutes to stop think I was watching Tony Blair as Michael Sheen will forever be Tony to me after his wonderful portrayal of the chameleon Blair. A very talented actor (Both of them!)
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #853 on: February 28, 2011, 08:53:00 AM »

Brilliant movie ..... it took me about five minutes to stop think I was watching Tony Blair as Michael Sheen will forever be Tony to me after his wonderful portrayal of the chameleon Blair. A very talented actor (Both of them!)

I see him as David Frost!  lol:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #854 on: March 02, 2011, 04:08:23 PM »
Revolutionary Road starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet...

Quote from: Amazon
In Revolutionary Road, Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio reunite for the first time since their careers exploded with Titanic--and it's almost as if they're playing the same characters, only married and faced with the hollowness of a 1950s suburban existence. Frank and April Wheeler (DiCaprio and Winslet) always thought of themselves as special, but they settled in a conventional Connecticut suburb when they had children. Hungry for a less constricted life, April persuades Frank to move to Paris--but slowly their plans unravel and their marriage unravels along with it. While Revolutionary Road may be a bit too glib about suburban emptiness--the lives Frank and April lead don't seem so stifled--the portrait of a mismatched marriage is vivid and devastating. The ways that Frank and April misinterpret each other, and the subtle yet unbearable dissatisfaction they feel, is rendered with remarkable and unsettling acuteness. Winslet and DiCaprio's natural chemistry tells us what drew these two together, making the way they tear each other apart all the more shocking. The excellent supporting cast includes Kathy Bates (Misery), Dylan Baker (Happiness), and especially Michael Shannon (Bug) as a mentally troubled mathematician who cuts to the quick of the Wheelers' troubles. Mention must be made of the beautiful production design; the costumes and sets are simply gorgeous. --Bret Fetzer

Bit shite really... would give it two Barman Thumbs Up.  happy088 happy088

At one point they plan to take a trip across the Atlantic on a liner and you have to think "not after the last bastard time!"  lol:

Still, only £4 or £4.24 on Amazon and a reasonable way to spend a couple of hours...

Winslet gets a couple of rather unsatisfactory (I would imagine  whistle:) quickies and DiCapro shags his secretary who gets her jugs out - hardly hard core I'm afraid...  noooo:

Pro Skub  Thumbs: