Author Topic: The All New Book & DVD Review Thread (And Gift Hints)  (Read 410330 times)

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
Re: The All New Book & DVD Review Thread (And Gift Hints)
« Reply #270 on: May 19, 2009, 04:52:03 PM »
In the cinema? Did you stretch your legs?
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #271 on: May 19, 2009, 04:54:19 PM »
The Reader

Watched this last night  happy088

Set in postwar Germany and tells the story of a man whose life has been shaped by an illicit affair when he was 15 !!!!!  -  with a passionate, elusive older woman   eyes: . She however turns out to some dark secrets . I won't give too much away.

Lots of nakedness and shagging in first half of film - all essential to the plot of course  lol:

Skubber

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #272 on: May 19, 2009, 06:06:05 PM »
In the cinema? Did you stretch your legs?
Yes...  evil:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Nick

« Reply #273 on: May 19, 2009, 06:07:12 PM »
That short, eh?

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #274 on: June 04, 2009, 06:43:47 PM »
Frost Nixon

Just watched it (on Blu-Ray) in the minima...

Awesome!

If you haven't seen it, buy it or rent it. The best film I have seen in ages...

Quote from: Amazon
It’s not always that a stage play translates particularly well to the medium of movies. But for anyone considering such a challenge in the future, Frost/Nixon is surely a fine template to follow. In the capable hands of director Ron Howard, the extraordinary story of how a then-fairly low profile television interviewer managed to bring the disgraced former President of the United States to account is, at best, absolutely riveting.

Much of the reason for this is the two leading performances, which are both absolutely exception. The awards attention for Frost/Nixon has been directed towards Frank Langella, and truly he’s an actor long overdue some recognition. Here, as ex-President Nixon, he’s flat-out brilliant: a complex, intriguing character portrayed with real measure and expertise. It’s unfair, though, that Michael Sheen has been overlooked by some. Fresh from portraying Tony Blair in The Queen, Sheen is once more brilliant here, injecting Frost with an erratic, on-the-edge fallibility that sets up the film’s final act extremely well.

Now you can argue, with some right, that Frost/Nixon flattens out some of the facts to its own liking, and certainly the portrayal of David Frost doesn’t seem to do the man too many favours. But when it gets to the interviews themselves, it’s electric, and proof that you don’t need a bunch of effects and flashy gimmicks to keep you on the edge of your seat. Ron Howard has done this to us before with a true story, in the shape of Apollo 13, and here again, even though we know the ending, the journey there is quite brilliant. You really can make compelling drama with just two people sat in a chair… --Simon Brew

No shagging but still highly recommended!

Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #275 on: June 04, 2009, 06:54:18 PM »
I expect you are too young to remember the original then.  whistle:
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #276 on: June 04, 2009, 06:56:17 PM »
I expect you are too young to remember the original then.  whistle:
Indeed... Well, not too young but I don't remember it at all....  noooo:

I've just ordered it from Amazon tho...  redface:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #277 on: June 04, 2009, 07:03:14 PM »
I probably will too, eventually but I have used up my Amazon allowance for the month already. If I am not strict with myself I spend too much there. Perhaps I'll put it on my wish list ~ birthday coming up like  whistle:

Meanwhile I do remember sitting through the several programmes that it took to broadcast the interviews and leaping up shouting "Gotcha ya bastard!" when Frost finally got Nixon to admit he was wrong.

I also remember his forensic slicing up on TV of Dr Emil Savundra the motor insurance crook in 1967.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #278 on: June 04, 2009, 07:05:19 PM »
I probably will too, eventually but I have used up my Amazon allowance for the month already. If I am not strict with myself I spend too much there. Perhaps I'll put it on my wish list ~ birthday coming up like  whistle:

Meanwhile I do remember sitting through the several programmes that it took to broadcast the interviews and leaping up shouting "Gotcha ya bastard!" when Frost finally got Nixon to admit he was wrong.

I also remember his forensic slicing up on TV of Dr Emil Savundra the motor insurance crook in 1967.
I remember Savundra but I must have seen that later... I was after all just seven...  whistle:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #279 on: June 04, 2009, 07:07:52 PM »

I remember Savundra but I must have seen that later... I was after all just seven...  whistle:

Bloody kids  evil:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #280 on: June 04, 2009, 07:28:43 PM »

Bloody kids  evil:
whistle:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
« Reply #281 on: June 04, 2009, 07:58:08 PM »
I was in the US the summer the Watergate scandal broke leading to Nixon's impeachment. Every day on the radio and TV a little more came out... uncannily reminiscent of these last few weeks here  rubschin:
Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Offline Nick

« Reply #282 on: June 05, 2009, 09:02:33 AM »
Postie left a card sayimg my D Day book was too big for the letter box and was back at the Sorting Office.

I can call them, go there, or place an online request for a new delivery. I chose the third option. I await developments. I am not even sure my local Sorting Office has a compooter. Nor am I sure that the staff can read.

Offline TG

• Fool Member
« Reply #283 on: June 06, 2009, 02:41:10 PM »
Oi Unc!

Try this : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cowboy-Angels-Gollancz-S-F-McAuley/dp/0575082232/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244298854&sr=8-4

A cracker of a SciFi novel. Gung-ho thriller crossed with BIG concepts as America fights for freedom, truth and the American way across multiple Americas in parrallel universes.

happy088

I think my cat wants to kill me...

Offline Nick

« Reply #284 on: June 06, 2009, 02:53:56 PM »
Postie left a card sayimg my D Day book was too big for the letter box and was back at the Sorting Office.

I can call them, go there, or place an online request for a new delivery. I chose the third option. I await developments. I am not even sure my local Sorting Office has a compooter. Nor am I sure that the staff can read.

Blimey, it werked  eeek: