Disgusterous

Author Topic: The All New Book & DVD Review Thread (And Gift Hints)  (Read 411409 times)

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
Re: The All New Book & DVD Review Thread (And Gift Hints)
« Reply #150 on: November 20, 2008, 06:48:15 PM »
I shall have a listen on the site this evening, fifteen years in the making, it should be good

Unfortunately the only original member still in the line up is Axl and the replacements aren't anywhere near as good as their predecessors.

I'm sorry Snoop, I keep forgetting that when you were my age rock music was running round in animal skins banging lumps of stone together...  whistle:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #151 on: November 20, 2008, 07:11:03 PM »

I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #152 on: November 20, 2008, 07:14:38 PM »
Marianne and Mars Bars spring to mind  sick2:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #153 on: November 21, 2008, 09:05:05 AM »
I shall have a listen on the site this evening, fifteen years in the making, it should be good

Unfortunately the only original member still in the line up is Axl and the replacements aren't anywhere near as good as their predecessors.

Which is why no one I know is remotely interested.

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #154 on: November 25, 2008, 12:32:16 PM »
I love the way China is banning the sale of the album there and blocking access to their website on the grounds that it is an attack on the government.

All that anger and effort for no reason, I cant see anyone getting far enough into the album to hear the offending lyric.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline TG

• Fool Member
« Reply #155 on: January 27, 2009, 12:42:53 PM »
Watched at the weekend :

Indiana Jones & the Kingdom of the Crystal skull.

Worth a look. Especially on Blu-Ray.

GM stylee review: Lots of fun action sequences, no shagging, bloody awful ending.

The Mummy : Tomb of the dragon emperor.

Also worth a look but not a patch on the first one or even the second one.

GM stylee review: No shagging at all, Chinese mummy's are nowhere near as much fun as Egyptian ones even if they are Jet Li.
I think my cat wants to kill me...

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
« Reply #156 on: February 14, 2009, 12:46:50 PM »
Watched last night:

No Country for Old Men
I've enjoyed a few Cohen Brothers films in the past, Barton Fink, The Big Lebowski but although NCFOM was technically all there and masterful I didn't enjoy it. It's dark and nasty and probably just a poor choice by me for relaxing on a Friday night.

As for Red Sorghum as the back up ~ hmmm, I should have looked at the sleeve notes a little more closely and read that this was Zhang Yimou's first film. I loved Hero and The House of Flying Daggers but this one was not a tale of wuxia. He's done better since this in '87.
Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #157 on: February 14, 2009, 01:48:05 PM »
Watched last night:
No Country for Old Men
I've enjoyed a few Cohen Brothers films in the past, Barton Fink, The Big Lebowski but although NCFOM was technically all there and masterful I didn't enjoy it. It's dark and nasty and probably just a poor choice by me for relaxing on a Friday night.

I too was disapointed by NCFOM - nothing against dark and menacing movies but I just don't think this delivered much  noooo:

Have you watched  There Will be Blood   - starring Daniel Day Lewis . Liked that much more.
Skubber

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
« Reply #158 on: February 14, 2009, 02:01:53 PM »
No (to the question, like  ;) )

Will check it out...  happy088
Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Offline TG

• Fool Member
« Reply #159 on: February 15, 2009, 09:51:30 AM »
Hellboy 2 : The Golden Army

Not to everyones taste this. I watched it because the director will be making the Hobbit movies.

Not brilliant taken as a whole but it is superbly imagined and the special effects are some of the best for years.

Overall I am hopeful that this bloke will do well with the Hobbit.

GM Stylee review: Big robots, no shagging.

I think my cat wants to kill me...

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #160 on: February 17, 2009, 11:06:44 AM »
To be honest I did enjoy both of the Hellboy films. Ron Pearlman was the perfect choice for Hellboy.

The film I'm most eager to see at the moment though is The Watchmen.  cloud9:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #161 on: February 19, 2009, 10:37:29 AM »
Watched the pilot for The Beast last night and that looks like ti could be worth following. Patrick Swayze is perfectly cast as Charles Barker, an undercover FBI agent taking a new protege Ellis Dove under his wing, even shooting him at the start of the show to save him when he blows a sting. Despite the hard driven approach to training him, pushing him more and more to test his abilities, Dove likes and respects Barker. But as he starts to see how much the stress of the new job is taking out of him his world is thrown completely when Internal Affairs ask him to investigate Barker...

http://www.aetv.com/the-beast/

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #162 on: February 19, 2009, 10:54:00 AM »
Watched the pilot for The Beast last night and that looks like ti could be worth following. Patrick Swayze is perfectly cast as Charles Barker, an undercover FBI agent taking a new protege Ellis Dove under his wing, even shooting him at the start of the show to save him when he blows a sting. Despite the hard driven approach to training him, pushing him more and more to test his abilities, Dove likes and respects Barker. But as he starts to see how much the stress of the new job is taking out of him his world is thrown completely when Internal Affairs ask him to investigate Barker...

http://www.aetv.com/the-beast/

Haven't there been a zillion films like this   rubschin:

And Patrick Swayze as a leading man is not a bonus for the film - I know he's ill and all that but he has not been a leading man for a long time  noooo:
Skubber

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #163 on: February 19, 2009, 10:59:02 AM »
Its not a film Miss D, its a TV show but given how ill he was while making the show his performance was impressive. Yes there have been many shows and films with a similar plot but this has the potential to be one of the better ones.

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #164 on: February 19, 2009, 11:00:33 AM »
Oh alright then .....I'll take your word for it trusty GM

Still not keen on Patrick Swayze though  noooo:
Skubber