Author Topic: 'Celebity' affects childrens education.  (Read 3626 times)

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
'Celebity' affects childrens education.
« on: March 14, 2008, 01:13:04 PM »
At last, some common sense as to why more and more pupils cannot be arsed to put some effort in at school. Why work when you see people who are famous for being famous making a fortune for doing bugger all, or total wastes of oxygen on Big Brother et al.

Children's educational aspirations risk being damaged by the cult of celebrity, teachers leaders have warned.
Teachers fear their pupils' obsessions with footballers, pop stars and actors are affecting their progress in school, and limiting their career aspirations.

Some 60% of teachers said their pupils most aspired to be David Beckham, in a survey of teachers for the Association of Teachers and Lecturers.

More than a third said pupils wanted to be famous for the sake of being famous.

Some 32% of the 304 teachers quizzed said their pupils modelled themselves on heiress Paris Hilton.

The findings were released ahead of the Association of Teachers and Lecturers conference in Torquay which starts on Monday.

'Hard work'

Delegates will debate a motion that argues the "decline in this country into the cult of celebrity" is "perverting children's aspirations".

If it is passed the teaching union will call on the government and other agencies to promote positive role models of "ordinary people across the media".

ATL general secretary Mary Bousted said celebrities could raise pupils' aspirations and ambitions for the future.

But she warned: "We are deeply concerned that many pupils believe celebrity status is available to everyone.

"They do not understand the hard work it takes to achieve such status and do not think it is important to be actively engaged in school work as education is not needed for a celebrity status."

Elizabeth Farrar, from a primary school near Scunthorpe, said too many pupils believed academic success was "unnecessary" because they thought they would be able to make their fame and fortune quite easily on a reality TV show.

"They believe that they are much more likely to achieve financial well-being through celebrity than through progression to higher education and a 'proper' career."

'Inappropriate acts'

A secondary teacher from Colchester, Essex, quizzed in the survey said the media focus on celebrities "negative behaviour" encouraged underage drinking and anti-social behaviour

"Those celebs who are excellent sportsmen or excellent actors are often overlooked and not shown as desirable to kids."

But nearly three-quarters of teachers said they thought a focus on celebrity culture could have a positive effect as well as a negative one.

Julie Gilligan, from a primary school in Salford, said: "The racism issue raised by celebrity Big Brother created a useful platform for class discussion.

"On the other hand, I have seen and heard negative emulation of celebrity footballer/pop star language and behaviour in the playground and in school - including disturbingly age-inappropriate 'acts' by young girls in school talent shows."
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
Re: 'Celebity' affects childrens education.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 01:14:29 PM »
The research has shown this for at least 20 years.

It's the TV that is to blame

Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 01:16:36 PM »
I admired Stanley Matthews but lived in fear of my teachers .... That is the difference.
We had TV but not the range of channels nor the American crap that is the usual viewing diet of kids today
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Nick

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 01:18:01 PM »
Our TV is in box. ;D

Also evil:

All I watched as a kid was Blue Peter (when it was Blue Peter evil:)

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 01:20:26 PM »
Our TV is in box. ;D

Also evil:

All I watched as a kid was Blue Peter (when it was Blue Peter evil:)

Get DOWN Shep! ..... Still gives me nightmares.  scared2:
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 01:22:24 PM »
Not all american shows are mindless garbage though, there are a number of intelligent shows. The problem has become worse lately because broadcasters are developing shows specifically for the mouthbreathing underclass that have been created by this government, content to sit around getting dole money watching Jeremy Kyle and Big Brother instead of doing anything else.

Add to that the increase in 'childrens rights' that pretty much neuters a teacher even before they walk into the classroom and there is no real hope unless they are lucky enough to end up with a class who actually want to learn something
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 01:23:00 PM »
I think everybody wanted to be rich and famous when we were kids didn’t we? Be it a top footballer or John Noakes… I remember my father even saying how wonderful it must be to get paid for kicking a ball about…  cloud9:

The difference is if you didn’t try hard at school, do your homework or whatever you got the bejeesus knocked out of you (or reality knocked into you) and again when you got home…  scared2:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 01:29:46 PM »
I think the difference is that previously you were famous FOR something. Be that a footballer, film star or whatever. The problem these days is that you can be famous for simply wearing very little and/or being locked in a house for three months. Even when I was a kid that sort of thing wasn't possible. It always used to require a "talent" of some description.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 01:33:32 PM »
I think the difference is that previously you were famous FOR something. Be that a footballer, film star or whatever. The problem these days is that you can be famous for simply wearing very little and/or being locked in a house for three months. Even when I was a kid that sort of thing wasn't possible. It always used to require a "talent" of some description.
Sage words young Wenchy,  eeek:

I think my point still stands though – what’s lacking is having reality knocked into you at an early stage…

Yes, Chardonnay, I’m sure you will get your tits out on Big Brother, become famous, shag a footballer and release a Christmas hit single – now do your fucking homework!  eveilgrin:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 01:43:29 PM »

I think my point still stands though – what’s lacking is having reality knocked into you at an early stage…

Yes, Chardonnay, I’m sure you will get your tits out on Big Brother, become famous, shag a footballer and release a Christmas hit single – now do your fucking homework!  eveilgrin:

Also true. I think that although all of us wanted to be rich and famous we were also aware that very few made it and that as such you should have a back up plan. My step-sister who is pretty rich and pretty famous in her field is also a legal secretary. Because as Father Wench used to say you have to have a back up.

I also think we knew that even the things we wanted to be rich and famous for would require hard work. Mr Wench wanted to be a footballer, but he knew that simply having a kick around at lunchtime wasn't going to acheive that.

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2008, 01:56:48 PM »
The problem these days is that you can be famous for simply wearing very little and/or being locked in a house for three months.

Even though I hate that kind of show (actually it could be because of it) if I was offered the chance to direct a series of it I would. Mainly to turn it into something that would shock even Ted Nugent. His reality show is the only one Ive seen that has been entertaining because it puts the contestants through absolute hell and makes them earn the prize at the end.

Offline Nick

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2008, 02:07:13 PM »
I have just spent 40 minutes on the phone to Snoopy talking about this exact problem.

Too boring and private to recount. But we agree about everything!

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2008, 02:08:13 PM »
So that is where the two of you went! What on earth are the rest of us supposed to do whilst you have private chit chat!?!?  angry041:

I applied for Big Brother.  redface: Twice.  redface: redface:

Offline Just One More

• Power Poster
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2008, 02:08:58 PM »

We had a temp work at my place last year for four months. She was a "reserve" for Big Brother and for those that watched it, she was just "beaten" to the show by Charlie. She was as thick as pig-shit, all she ever talked about was being a celebrity and hoped to marry a footballer. these were her only aspirations in life

Oh, and while she was a reserve she was in a plush London hotel for four weeks all paid for and being paid £1500 for her time and trouble
LiFe - It's an "F" in lie

Offline Nick

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2008, 02:10:39 PM »
So that is where the two of you went! What on earth are the rest of us supposed to do whilst you have private chit chat!?!?  angry041:

I applied for Big Brother.  redface: Twice.  redface: redface:

happy001 happy001 happy001 happy001 happy001 happy001 happy001 happy001