Disgusterous

Author Topic: Governmenr to seize assets of suspected drug dealers.  (Read 2210 times)

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
Governmenr to seize assets of suspected drug dealers.
« on: February 27, 2008, 10:15:53 AM »
Maybe I'm missing something here but siezing assets without charging the suspect strikes me as being a very dangerous precedent for the government to set.

Suspected drug dealers' assets could be seized on arrest, rather than charge, under ministers' new drugs strategy.
Home Secretary Jacqui Smith says it would stop assets being "salted" away - and said suspects who were "completely innocent" would get their assets back.

The Conservatives and civil liberties group questioned the legality of confiscating goods before convictions.

Ms Smith also said drug addicts would lose benefits unless they attended a meeting with a "treatment adviser".

Ahead of the launch, she told BBC Radio 4's Today she wanted to see how the benefits system could be used "to help people to go all the way through effective treatment".

She said there would be a "basic expectation that if drugs are stopping you getting into work you need to come along and actually have an interview with a treatment provider so we can at least get you into treatment, on the path to getting drug free and back to work".

It is part of a package of measures in a 10-year drugs strategy Ms Smith said was intended to get people off drugs and cut drugs-related crime.

Other proposals include:

Grandparents will be encouraged to look after children whose parents are addicts

Social workers will intervene earlier when children are growing up around problem users

Schools will be rated by Ofsted inspectors on the effectiveness of anti-drugs lessons

New deals will be sought with foreign governments to reduce trafficking

Women and ethnic minorities will have better access to drug treatment

Critics have said the plans are meaningless without more money to support families affected by drug addiction.

Deborah Cameron, of drugs charity Addaction, said: "We know of 10,000 children, just through Addaction, who are living with Class A drug users.

"There has got to be properly funded family support services."

Under the government's plans, national targets will still be based on numbers signed up for treatment and retention on the scheme for 12 weeks rather than the effectiveness of treatment.

Currently only 3% left the scheme free of all illegal drugs, prompting a debate as to whether more emphasis should be placed on getting problem users off drugs.

A Home Office spokesman said: "We now know that we can succeed in tackling drugs - because the last 10 years have seen progress and some notable successes.

"The percentage of people who use drugs has fallen since 1998, and is at an 11-year low.

"Because we have invested in drug treatment, we are getting people into treatment quicker than ever before - with people waiting on average less than two-and-a-half weeks for treatment, rather than nine weeks in 2001."

Previous efforts to confiscate the assets of drug dealers and other criminals have met with mixed results.

The Assets Recovery Agency, set up in 2002, was criticised by the Commons public accounts committee last year for being "ill planned" and "unrealistic" after it spent £65m over four years to recover just £23m.

It is thought the new strategy will widen what can be seized and scrap the 12-year limit within which recovery proceedings must be taken.

The government aims to recover £250m a year from criminals by 2010.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
Re: Governmenr to seize assets of suspected drug dealers.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 10:25:49 AM »
Grab everything whilst it is still there and then return it when they cannot prove their case ... sounds reasonable if they are also willing to pay for the defence lawyers.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 10:26:34 AM »
Defence Lawyers? Ah you mean Tone and Slotgob  Banghead
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 10:31:11 AM »
Give that man a cigar .... he got it in one.

Government nowadays believes that it exists not to govern but to pass laws.
Lawyers exist to prosecute and defend people who fall foul of those laws.
Ergo a Government that consists largely of lawyers will be sure to feather the nest.

Between the Lawyers and the Bishops we are fvcked. All are grasping, greedy, selfish b@stards out for what they can screw out of the rest of us.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 10:42:02 AM »
I have a sort of nephew who is now a QC. He is a grasping bastard and I hate him. Utterly, utterly cynical. I will get them offf, guilty or not, if they can pay.....

I believe his fees are about 1K ph.

And he still taps his ageing mother for help with property purchases
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 10:48:44 AM »
I think that Frank Herbert described this government best even before they came to power:

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible.

Offline Nick

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 11:09:23 AM »
I have no one left to vote for. What kind of democracy is this that we are living in?
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 12:20:01 PM »
Democracy?  happy001

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 12:21:36 PM »
Oh Mr. Nick - you do make us laugh!  lol: lol: lol:
Pro Skub  Thumbs: