Disgusterous

Author Topic: Why was a murder suspect granted bail in the first place?  (Read 1676 times)

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
Why was a murder suspect granted bail in the first place?
« on: January 31, 2008, 04:12:30 PM »
Call me picky but I think that there are some crimes where bail should just not be allowed such as, oh I dont know, MURDER!!!.

A suspected murderer who is thought to have killed again was allowed to remain on bail despite breaching a condition.
Ex-policeman Gary Weddell is thought to have killed his mother-in-law before shooting himself while on bail as he awaited trial for his wife's murder.

Bail hearing transcripts show a judge said it was a "borderline decision" to release the 47-year-old and he would be returned to custody for any breaches.

But he remained free despite breaking a condition by entering Bedfordshire.

'Technical breach'

The Judicial Communications Office published transcripts of five court hearings following an outcry over the fact that Mr Weddell was released while awaiting trial for such a serious offence.

Mr Weddell was warned he would go "straight back into custody" if he breached any of the eight bail conditions imposed.

The policeman breached his conditions by visiting his mother in a pub in Bedfordshire, despite being barred from entering the county.

However, Woking magistrates concluded it was only a "technical breach" and was not "deliberate" and allowed him to remain on bail.

Two months later, it is believed he murdered his mother-in-law, before taking his own life.

Earlier Mr Weddell's wife, Sandra, 44, a London-born nurse, was found strangled at their family home in Lancot Avenue, Dunstable, Bedfordshire, on 31 January last year.

He was charged with her murder six months later and was due to stand trial at Luton Crown Court in May this year.

Judge Bevan twice refused Mr Weddell bail before releasing him on 27 July after the policeman's barrister brother put up a £200,000 surety.

The judge told him at the time: "It is a very borderline decision that I have granted you bail at all, and you understand that if you breach any of these conditions, then you will be straight back into custody."

The bodies of Mr Weddell and his mother-in-law, Traute Maxfield, 70, were found on 12 January.

Police believe Mr Weddell shot Mrs Maxfield, a retired carer and widow, at her home in Gustard Wood, Hertfordshire.

'Suicide risk'

He then appears to have shot himself with a gun at Broomhills shooting club, about 10 miles away in Markyate.

Mr Weddell was granted bail after a psychiatrist told Judge Bevan: "I didn't have any concerns about his mental condition. He doesn't need a psychiatrist examining him regularly.

"He's stable as far as I am concerned. I am satisfied your Honour that Mr Weddell does not create a suicide risk."

The policeman had earlier been found with an aerial cable hidden in his sock while he was being interviewed by police, a hearing was told.

When asked why he had it, he replied "I just wanted to go to sleep."

Well its good to see the thousands of pounds in training he must have had to become a psychiatrist we well spent

The Conservative MP Mike Penning has called for an inquiry into the circumstances of the bail granted to Mr Weddell and a change in the law.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Re: Why was a murder suspect granted bail in the first place?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 04:14:26 PM »
I bet the trick cyclist doesn’t have to pay his (exorbitant) fee back either!  cussing:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
Re: Why was a murder suspect granted bail in the first place?
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 04:21:16 PM »
I suspect it had more to do with a meeting at the Lodge than anything else.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.