Disgusterous

Author Topic: Plea for Ghanaian woman's return  (Read 3545 times)

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Plea for Ghanaian woman's return
« on: January 12, 2008, 08:11:29 AM »
Quote from: BBC Web Shite
Ghana's High Commissioner in London has appealed to Britain to reverse its decision to fly a terminally ill woman back to the African country.

Ama Sumani was taken from a Cardiff hospital on Wednesday where she has been receiving dialysis after cancer damaged her kidneys.

Source

Has the country gone completely, utterly stark raving bonkers?

I can see what is going to happen here – they will fly this poor woman back to the UK, re-home her, give her free treatment for the rest of her days and then (according to her last washes no doubt), fly her remains ‘home’ to Ghana.

Call me a heartless bastard if you will but the woman was in the UK illegally and surely has no rights to any NHS treatment? If Ghana's High Commissioner in London thinks this is a special case then let him put his hand in his pocket and pick up the $2,000 a month that it will cost to treat her.

The UK government not only flew her back to Ghana at taxpayer’s expense but then offered to pay the first three month’s treatment in Ghana ($6,000) out of UK taxpayer’s contributions.

Quote from: BBC Web Shite
The Commons home affairs committee says it intends questioning the head of the Border and Immigration Service, Lin Homer, about Mrs Sumani's deportation.

Committee chairman Keith Vaz described the deportation decision as "astonishing".

"We hope to hear a full explanation from Lin Homer about this extraordinary decision. Of course there have to be rules governing the right to remain in this country," Mr Vaz said.

Mr. Vaz, the astonishing thing is that the woman was allowed to stay in the UK after her visa expired, that’s the astonishing thing. She was in the UK illegally, presumably claiming benefits and yet was able to get free treatment on the NHS!

I can’t get free NHS treatment as an expat yet I paid tax and national insurance in the UK for twenty-five years, my father fought for the country for cod’s sake, my mother serviced army trucks during the war! Yet arrive illegally in the UK and they throw everything at you.

Utter, utter bastards!

Rant over… I feel better now.
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
Re: Plea for Ghanaian woman's return
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 11:23:28 AM »
There's your answer BM, apply for Cypiot citizenship and then sneak back into the UK for treatment.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 02:09:17 PM »

I can’t get free NHS treatment as an expat yet I paid tax and national insurance in the UK for twenty-five years, my father fought for the country for cod’s sake, my mother serviced army trucks during the war! Yet arrive illegally in the UK and they throw everything at you.

Why not? Mother Wench does?

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 02:37:44 PM »

Why not? Mother Wench does?
Not legally I think you’ll find…  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 03:15:23 PM »
You perhaps cannot pop over for some procedure because you fancy the idea but if taken ill whilst in the UK you would qualify for free NHS treatment. Every other bugger does so why not you?  rubschin:
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 03:20:52 PM »
You perhaps cannot pop over for some procedure because you fancy the idea but if taken ill whilst in the UK you would qualify for free NHS treatment. Every other bugger does so why not you?  rubschin:
I know people from here that have been refused…

Also, my sister works in a doctor’s surgery. They have an official sign above reception which reads something along the lines of: -

Asylum Seekers Queue Here
Expats Fuck Off

cussing:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 03:26:30 PM »
OK ~ You can still be treated as a "visitor" ~ anyway you are part of the EU now so get a Cypriot Passport and wave that whilst talking like Stavros from the Kebab shop.

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 03:36:54 PM »
Just an observation but given the current state of the NHS would you even want treatment Barman?
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 03:48:29 PM »
OK ~ You can still be treated as a "visitor" ~ anyway you are part of the EU now so get a Cypriot Passport and wave that whilst talking like Stavros from the Kebab shop.
Yes, I suppose I should have equal rights to any other EU citizen now we are in…
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 03:48:53 PM »
Just an observation but given the current state of the NHS would you even want treatment Barman?
True... but not the point really!  cussing:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline TG

• Fool Member
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 10:48:08 AM »
I think my cat wants to kill me...

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 11:04:02 AM »
I will not claim to feel that I have lost a friend. The whole thing was predictable and, on this as on so many other occasions, the Government's behaviour could at best be described as shameful.
Meanwhile they continue to provide the very best of care free of all charges to no end of unentitled foreigners in our over crowded prisons. If this woman had got herself locked up for an attempted armed robbery she would be alive today. It makes no sense to me that they insisted that she had to return 'home' whilst they keep these criminals, at our expense, for years and then fail to deport them at the end of their sentences. They should simply flog them and throw them out of the UK the day they are found guilty.
Reading William Cobbett's "Rural Rides" he makes exactly the same comment about conditions in the early 1800s. People starving and dieing for want of sensible government care, indeed Cobbett contends as "a result of Government actions", whilst those in prison enjoyed 3 square meals a day and free medical treatment.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 11:15:08 AM by Snoopy »

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2008, 11:10:29 AM »
Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose  confused:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2008, 12:55:30 PM »
I will not claim to feel that I have lost a friend. The whole thing was predictable and, on this as on so many other occasions, the Government's behaviour could at best be described as shameful.
Meanwhile they continue to provide the very best of care free of all charges to no end of unentitled foreigners in our over crowded prisons. If this woman had got herself locked up for an attempted armed robbery she would be alive today. It makes no sense to me that they insisted that she had to return 'home' whilst they keep these criminals, at our expense, for years and then fail to deport them at the end of their sentences. They should simply flog them and throw them out of the UK the day they are found guilty.
Reading William Cobbett's "Rural Rides" he makes exactly the same comment about conditions in the early 1800s. People starving and dieing for want of sensible government care, indeed Cobbett contends as "a result of Government actions", whilst those in prison enjoyed 3 square meals a day and free medical treatment.
I agree with you really, the whole thing is a farce…

However, I was incensed this morning to hear a member of the ‘Ghanaian Community’ in Wales saying that she should have been allowed to stay and have her treatment paid for… If you are such a close knit ‘Ghanaian Community’ why couldn’t you stump-up the cash for her treatment back in her own country?
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2008, 01:03:41 PM »
However, I was incensed this morning to hear a member of the ‘Ghanaian Community’ in Wales saying that she should have been allowed to stay and have her treatment paid for… If you are such a close knit ‘Ghanaian Community’ why couldn’t you stump-up the cash for her treatment back in her own country?

They [Friends & Family] had also raised more than £70,000 from donations to pay for drugs which were not available in her home country.