Author Topic: Multibird Roasts  (Read 2671 times)

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
Multibird Roasts
« on: January 02, 2008, 05:49:02 PM »
I've been curious about these since I saw High Fearnly-Whatisname cook one on TV a while ago but at that price I think I'll have to pass.

A Devon farm has concocted a 12-bird roast that takes 10 hours to cook and can feed up to 125 people.
The roast weighs 25kg (55lb) and is believed to be one of the biggest multibird meals in the country.

Anne Petch, of Heal Farm in Kings Nympton, said they wanted to make a dish with a "wow factor".

The £665 creation consists of turkey on the outside, goose, chicken, pheasant, three ducks, poussin, guinea fowl, partridge, pigeon squab and quail.

Ms Petch said the True Love Roast had a bird for each of the 12 days of Christmas.

It takes two people to lift.

'Crazy idea'

"We've been making smaller multibird roasts for a while, but I wanted something with a real wow factor.

"It was only when I was halfway through the first prototype that I realised what a crazy idea it was."

She said they were aiming for a 21-bird roast for next year.

Multibird roasts are a centuries-old style of cooking that is becoming increasingly popular.

The supermarket Waitrose said demand for their £200 four-bird roast was up 50% this year.

21 birds?? What the hell are they planning to start with, an ostrich?  eeek:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
Re: Multibird Roasts
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 05:54:20 PM »
I've been curious about these since I saw High Fearnly-Whatisname cook one on TV a while ago but at that price I think I'll have to pass.

A Devon farm has concocted a 12-bird roast that takes 10 hours to cook and can feed up to 125 people.
The roast weighs 25kg (55lb) and is believed to be one of the biggest multibird meals in the country.

Anne Petch, of Heal Farm in Kings Nympton, said they wanted to make a dish with a "wow factor".

The £665 creation consists of turkey on the outside, goose, chicken, pheasant, three ducks, poussin, guinea fowl, partridge, pigeon squab and quail.

Ms Petch said the True Love Roast had a bird for each of the 12 days of Christmas.

It takes two people to lift.

'Crazy idea'

"We've been making smaller multibird roasts for a while, but I wanted something with a real wow factor.

"It was only when I was halfway through the first prototype that I realised what a crazy idea it was."

She said they were aiming for a 21-bird roast for next year.

Multibird roasts are a centuries-old style of cooking that is becoming increasingly popular.

The supermarket Waitrose said demand for their £200 four-bird roast was up 50% this year.

21 birds?? What the hell are they planning to start with, an ostrich?  eeek:

Is this anything to do with the "Spit-roasting" thing of which policemen are so fond?
I mostly despair

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 06:14:30 PM »
Quite different DS I can assure you.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 06:27:54 PM »
Hopefully DS will read your reply before he decides to try it out on one of his turkeys....  eeek:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 07:54:39 PM »
He's very quiet ~ we may be too late. eeek:
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 11:51:33 AM »
In that case remind me not to accept any free 'ready stuffed' turkeys from Darwin Matthews later in the year  eeek:

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 11:55:41 AM »
In that case remind me not to accept any free 'ready stuffed' turkeys from Darwin Matthews later in the year  eeek:
evil:
I mostly despair

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 01:01:12 PM »
I thought this thread was going to be about Scouse tanning parlours noooo:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile