Disgusterous

Author Topic: Smart TV  (Read 412 times)

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
Smart TV
« on: January 22, 2022, 10:24:06 AM »
Just bought a Smart TV. Any advice on the best streaming services? Oh and a sound bar, the internal speakers are not up to the standard of my old TV (deliberate probably)

Online Steve

• Power Poster
Re: Smart TV
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2022, 10:55:20 AM »
Just bought a Smart TV. Any advice on the best streaming services? Oh and a sound bar, the internal speakers are not up to the standard of my old TV (deliberate probably)
I use a Samsung soundbar because it connects wirelessly to our Samsung TV.  (For 7 years it was brilliant but now it's forgotten not to auto power off which is irritating.) 

As for streaming we use on the TV (and with my IMHO comments) in decreasing order . . .

Sky Catch up - excellent but you need a Sky Box or Sky Glass TVand for most content a subscription is needed

You Tube - just like on your PC but full screen and much better picture and sound.  Search is awkward

BBC iPlayer - excellent but it's effectively already built in the Sky Catch Up

Disney+ - about £80 a year and only worth it for the (excellent) Star Wars spin offs eg Mandalorian

Amazon Prime - same £ but we only watch it about twice a month at most.  Worth it for the free deliveries though

Netflix - about £100 a year and watch it even less mainly because Mrs K can't stand the swearing in the excellent Drive to Survive and
most of the films aren't what we want to watch. 

Amazon Music - basic is free with Amazon Prime I pay £8 a month for the full service which is excellent but I really only use it on the iPhone

BBC Sounds - very good but similarly really only use it on the iPhone

Actually for most of the above we use an Amazon Fire Stick on the TV instead of the inbuilt smart TV features.

Well, whatever, nevermind

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2022, 11:05:48 AM »
Thank Steve   :thumbsup:

Lots of dosh though.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2022, 11:07:01 AM »

I've got two 50" smart TVs (a Sumsung and an LG) and the sound quality is remarkable on both... The old 40" LG was shite soundwise and I had a sound bar on that...

Can't advise on streaming, we, er do things a bit differently here...  redface:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Online Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2022, 11:14:52 AM »
Thank Steve   :thumbsup:

Lots of dosh though.
Yes including physical newspapers and magazines we're paying ~£200 a month maybe more for content subscriptions and it has to be questioned. 

I forgot we also pay for BT Sport - I'd say not worth it unless your team is in Europe - so next season for you?

And £7.50 a quarter for Manchester United People that shows the United games Sky and BT don't so at 3pm this afternoon . . .

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2022, 11:22:25 AM »
Excuse me. We're in the Europa League at the moment. Top of Group H   :thumbsup:

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2022, 12:04:51 PM »
Netflix - I'm sure someone has an 'official' subscription and you can get their log in details and be added to their account  ;)

Prime - really does not compete with Netflix yet except for a few of the footy matches they are trying to get. They seem to offer quite a few things but there is a lot that is on other platforms that you need another subscription for  which annoys me ( so ensure you select 'free to me' when filtering' ) . But as Steve says the deliveries make it worthwhile.

BBC Iplayer  / UKTV Play / 4 etc are all worth having ( free - except for licence fee of course  lol:)  and have lots of box sets etc whatever your preferences are.

Now TV another subscription service - but this is included with out  BT account
Skubber

Online Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2022, 02:27:20 PM »
Excuse me. We're in the Europa League at the moment. Top of Group H   :thumbsup:
doh:

I blame the drink (lack of)