Author Topic: Parler under threat  (Read 1180 times)

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
Parler under threat
« on: January 10, 2021, 10:24:34 AM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-55608081

'Amazon is removing "free speech" social network Parler from its web hosting service for violating rules.

If Parler fails to find a new web hosting service by Sunday evening, the entire network will go offline.'

rubschin: not sure what I think on this as I can see arguments both ways but I bet Meister has a view
Well, whatever, nevermind

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Re: Parler under threat
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2021, 10:35:56 AM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-55608081

'Amazon is removing "free speech" social network Parler from its web hosting service for violating rules.

If Parler fails to find a new web hosting service by Sunday evening, the entire network will go offline.'

rubschin: not sure what I think on this as I can see arguments both ways but I bet Meister has a view

It was inevitable... They need their own server farm and quick!
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2021, 11:25:19 AM »
Could they afford that?

To me there's two competing angles on this:

Should largely unregulated neo monopolies like Amazon and Google be the sole/main arbitrators of what is allowed to be spoken?  IMHO no.  And should people be allowed to use social media networks to convey illegal content?  Again No. 

But two noes are not a solution.

The USA has long struggled with how does their constitution with its competing sections address free speech and how is that then enforced.  Leaving it to commercial corporations to make difficult judgements is IMHO unfair on them and the public they serve.

The USA and the UK need clearer law on what is allowed to be said and who should take responsibility for what is being said.  No one should hold their breath waiting for such.

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2021, 11:38:21 AM »
Largely agree with that and - as in most things - consistency is the key. Both Twatter and Facearse seem selective about who they will allow and who they won't, without consistency if it suits their particular agenda.

And we all thought that Huawei was the problem...

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2021, 12:03:10 PM »
Largely agree with that and - as in most things - consistency is the key. Both Twatter and Facearse seem selective about who they will allow and who they won't, without consistency if it suits their particular agenda.

Precisely...  Thumbs:

They have in effect become a 'publisher' rather than just a 'carrier'. Therefore they should be held responsible for everything on their sites...  whistle:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2021, 01:52:43 PM »

To be honest the rampant hypocrisy pisses me off. During the BLM/Antifa riots when cities including Washington were burning  media, big tech and the democrats went out of their way to offer their support, I'm sure we all remember these gems:

Quote from: Ayanna Pressley
There needs to be unrest in the streets.
Quote from: Kamala Harris
Protesters should not let up.
Quote from: Nancy Pelosi
I just don't know why there aren't uprisings all over the country. Maybe there will be.
Quote from: Maxine Waters
If you see anybody from the cabinet in a restaurant, in a department store, at a gasoline station, you get out and create a crowd and you push back on them and you tell them they're not welcome anymore, anywhere

Kamala Harris even used her Twitter account to ask people to donate to a fund to pay for bail and legal representation for the rioters...oh I'm sorry peaceful protestors. More than 30 people killed, billions of dollars in property damage and looting including historic monuments such as St John's Church not to mention the autonomous zones which as they all declared they are no longer part of the US are the text book definition of sedition. Not even a slap on the wrist from big tech even though Antifa are STILL trying to break into the federal building in Portland and one member even physically assaulted Ted Wheeler recently and only now has the riot been deemed unlawful.

Steve said that he bet I had a view on this and he's right. My view is that the split and the consequences are going to get much much worse and the left wants the conflict. Let's look at the whole picture from the point of view of Trump's supporters. Leaving the actions of the Democrats over the last 4 years and their insane impeachment crusade, wherever you stand on the validity of the election concerns a substantial part of the American population believes that there were significant issues if not outright fraud. Yes many of the cases were thrown out but a large portion of them were done so on procedural grounds, supposed lack of standing or in the case of the supreme court refusing to even look at it and not on the strength of the evidence. The congressment/women and senators challenging the electoral college vote count was going to be their chance for those concerns to be addressed, whatever the end result would be at least they would have been aired. But on that night a group that has had peaceful protests that respected police officers for things like lifting the lockdown not to mention them protesting against defunding the police throughout 2020 suddenly decides to act like a stoned Genghis Khan? Then you have the ease at which this small group of protestors got inside the capitol building, there is a lot I could say here but someone already summed it up perfectly for me "We spend $750 billion annually on "defense" and the center of American government fell in two hours to the Duck Dynasty and the guy in the Chewbacca bikini." Nothing suspect there...........no not at all it was perfectly normal for Muriel Bowser to stop the National Guard and Capitol Police from being able to secure the Capitol building in advance or properly monitor and respond to the situation. Then we see the reaction from Lindsay Graham saying that the protestors are domestic terrorists and that they could have burned the building down or killed them all (drama queen much?) and after that firebrands in the Democrats shrieking that the congressmen/women and senators who were not only entitled to but had a duty under the constitution to argue against the electoral college counts when they have that many of their constituents voicing their concerns should be expelled from the congress and senate. What was that famous line that led the way towards the war of independence......oh yes no taxation without representation. And hot on the heels of that you have Biden, who previously said he wanted to heal and reunite the country, calling Ted Cruz a nazi and comparing him to Goebbels.

What you have at this point is a powderkeg, now made much worse by big tech. While Amazon going for Parler made the big news the mass purge by Twitter, Facebook and Youtube went under the radar. The only reason that Minds and Gab haven't been hit yet is because the way they are set up makes them much harder to attack. But people are rightly concerned if not outright scared wondering what comes next. Fox media is already in the crosshairs and what about Paypal, Square and Mastercard? Those three have already shown they are willing to ban people on the right of the spectrum on questionable grounds so what happens when people who are already struggling financially if they haven't already been pushed into bankruptcy because of the lockdown and the paltry crumbs that congress has allowed them to subsist on (any member of congress who having made millions while elected is perfectly happy to waste billions of dollars in the stimulus bill on overseas vanity projects like $10million on Pakistani gender studies while handing the electorate a paltry $600, now finally raised up to $2000 do not deserve to be in office) have no voice and suddenly find they cant use banking services.

No voice, no money, no hope, a new Patriot Act+. What do you think comes next?
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2021, 02:18:24 PM »
Well I tell you what, there needs to be something proactive done to stop terrorists using social media to propagate their messages

Messages like this
"If you don't know how to shoot: You need to learn. NOW."
"we will storm the government buildings, kill cops, kill security guards, kill federal employees and agents, and demand a recount.

Has Parler been reckless at allowing such to persist as it seeks a critical mass of users?  Looks to me like a 'do bears shit in the woods?' question.

There's always a fair way forward if people want to agree it but does Parler CEO John Matze want it or does he want to pursue victimhood? 
His action to only remove a Lin Wood post calling for Pence to be shot (and not suspend the account and the IP) suggests the latter.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/09/politics/parler-lin-wood-mike-pence/index.html

"They let them in. Get the firing squads ready. Pence goes FIRST."   noooo:

Offline Nick

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2021, 02:40:05 PM »
It is a persistent and thorny problem. One observation: I signed up to Parler to see what the fuss was about. It is an echo chamber which professes free speech, but my own (mischievous) comments drive them insane. It seems "free speech" on there means "people who agree with us."
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2021, 02:58:20 PM »
I have no idea what the hell has happened to Lin Wood. He's somehow gone from a sharp legal expert who represented clients in a number of famous cases including Richard Jewell, John and Patsy Ramsey, Gary Condit and Nicholas Sandmann to the screaming nutjob we see now. Like most people on Parler I'll look at his latest parl? and think yep its sad but he's still 3 textbooks short of a law degree and move on.

Looking at the messages I'm going to hazard a guess that the one about learning to shoot was made during the whole defund the police lunacy. The one about storming the building has clearly been written by an arsehole who should be banned and their details forwarded to the authorities.

As far as the messages are concerned if you are going to hold Parler to those standards then so does Twitter. Andy Ngo a gay, Asian conservative journalist was banned by twitter for hate speech after he replied to a tweet by Chelsea Clinton about trans murders, and factually he was right. 150 murders in a population of over 300 million does not constitute 'an epidemic of violence and hate'.

Fast forward to the day that he gets brutally assaulted by members of Antifa leaving him with brain damage (and even after that he refused to back down and still reports on their activities) That day Twitter was awash with messages glorifying the attack and congratulating those involved......no bans issued.

Try to collar Dorsey about Twitters banning policies and he'll sit there like a knock off Rasputin and give some mealy mouthed bullshit answer on why they can't be changed when it reality there is no interest in changing a system that benefits them so much.

If standards are going to be applied then they have to be done so globally and that is never going to happen as long as the Democrats are being supported by these companies and the Republicans are in the main too spineless to try and reform section 230. 

Parler is like any large scale platform Nick, like on Facebook and Twitter it's just a case of working your way around the loud arseholes to find genuine like minded people
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2021, 04:46:27 PM »
I've no doubt there is a lot of good material on Parler but the question is are they dealing appropriately with the terrorist material or are they just shamelessly seeking a critical mass of click bait and care not how many more police are killed by the impressionable that read such?

Andy Ngo did not suffer what most would regard as brain damage, he had a bleed on the brain.  5 tweets by him in the last 30 minutes certainly suggests he wasn't.

And I find it hard to believe no Twitter accounts were banned if they really did congratulate those that actually hurt him.  He was of course also hit with a milkshake, maybe some laughed at that.  We've seen similar here.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2021, 07:31:35 PM »
I've no doubt there is a lot of good material on Parler but the question is are they dealing appropriately with the terrorist material or are they just shamelessly seeking a critical mass of click bait and care not how many more police are killed by the impressionable that read such?

Andy Ngo did not suffer what most would regard as brain damage, he had a bleed on the brain.  5 tweets by him in the last 30 minutes certainly suggests he wasn't.

And I find it hard to believe no Twitter accounts were banned if they really did congratulate those that actually hurt him.  He was of course also hit with a milkshake, maybe some laughed at that.  We've seen similar here.

The bizarre thing about you Steve is that you believe your view of the world is unbiased and true... ::)

Yet you post stuff like...

Complete fuckwits totally duped by that orange fraud.  Even Mitch McConnell spoke today about how daft this whole election denial has been.

Good riddance to Trump and his evil ways, even Pence deserted him today.  I await Melania's post divorce tell all book with interest.

You are as biased and opinionated as Nick who follows Sir Nigel Farage on FaceArse just to post snide remarks on each of his posts... ::)

I find it bizarre to be honest, how could sane people become so obsessed with politicians...? Shrugs:

Perhaps it is time to shut the VP down, it costs me time and money and I really only wanted it to be fun...
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2021, 08:06:54 PM »
Why would I post a view of the world if I didn't believe it to be true?

Why is there a Commons area for serious discussion if there's not supposed to be serious discussion? 

Puzzling

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2021, 07:37:17 AM »
Why would I post a view of the world if I didn't believe it to be true?

Why is there a Commons area for serious discussion if there's not supposed to be serious discussion? 

Puzzling

Like the Battle of the Somme, threads about American politics end up going nowhere and just ends up with "whataboutery". Appreciate that American politics will have a huge bearing on our own politics - perhaps we should focus on that, it's a mess here too?

Locked.