Disgusterous

Author Topic: Boris does a deal with the EU  (Read 4665 times)

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
Boris does a deal with the EU
« on: October 17, 2019, 08:49:10 PM »
 Shocked:

So he did do a deal and while he now has the not inconsiderable hurdle of getting it through the House, I'll give credit:  he and his team have managed to come up with something that just might work.

My view:  I'd prefer to 'remain for now' but this doesn't look a bad way of leaving if we have to - well unless you're a dyed in the wool NI Unionist

FWIW here's some analyses of it

From the BBC:  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50083026

From Sky: https://news.sky.com/story/whats-new-about-boris-johnsons-brexit-deal-11837635

Here's the detail:  revisions to the Withdrawal Agreement:  https://ec.europa.eu/commission/sites/beta-political/files/revised_withdrawal_agreement_including_protocol_on_ireland_and_nothern_ireland.pdf

Here's the revised Political Declaration:  https://ec.europa.eu/commission/sites/beta-political/files/revised_political_declaration.pdf

But can he get it through the House?  popcorn: time
Well, whatever, nevermind

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
Re: Boris does a deal with the EU
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 09:52:28 AM »
I did find it interesting that Corbyn denounced the agreement almost half an hour before it was published. Almost as if he could see his chances of blagging his way into No. 10 slipping away...  rubschin:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 10:37:42 AM »
I did find it interesting that Corbyn denounced the agreement almost half an hour before it was published. Almost as if he could see his chances of blagging his way into No. 10 slipping away...  rubschin:

lol: lol: lol:

I think a few others condemned it within minutes of it being published too... Jo Swinson...?
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 11:09:17 AM »

I think a few others condemned it within minutes of it being published too... Jo Swinson...?

The truly disturbing one was Cameron describing Boris as a 'greased piglet'. Given his previous actions with a dead pig I'm hoping that isn't a Freudian slip...  sick2:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/oct/17/greased-piglet-boris-johnson-could-pass-deal-says-david-cameron
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 01:36:18 PM »

Arlene swallowed a wasp Foster was way ahead of all in the queue.  Seems several Tories starting with that snotty git Francois are now trying to scupper it

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/foreign-affairs/brexit/news/107378/tory-brexiteers-warn-boris-johnson-they-wont-back-him

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 01:38:35 PM »

The truly disturbing one was Cameron describing Boris as a 'greased piglet'. Given his previous actions with a dead pig I'm hoping that isn't a Freudian slip...  sick2:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/oct/17/greased-piglet-boris-johnson-could-pass-deal-says-david-cameron

happy001

That voice!!!  eeek:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2019, 01:58:34 PM »

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/moNNiXuYgqk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

happy001

That voice!!!  eeek:

Between her voice and her inability to back up her claims I couldn't bear to listen to the entire thing...  noooo:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2019, 05:27:09 PM »
So Letwin managed to put the boot in and stop the deal from going through by October 31st. Given that Dorset voted overwhelmingly to leave something tells me that there will be an attempt at deselection by his constituency association if there isn't an Election before much longer.  noooo:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2019, 05:43:14 PM »
So Letwin managed to put the boot in and stop the deal from going through by October 31st. Given that Dorset voted overwhelmingly to leave something tells me that there will be an attempt at deselection by his constituency association if there isn't an Election before much longer.  noooo:

Bizarre wasn't it...?  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2019, 06:10:51 PM »

Letwin's West Dorset constituency was very marginally pro Leave in 2016.  Less so than the whole UK vote.  Given polls since it's probably net pro remain now

It would actually be bizarre for him to support no deal

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2019, 06:20:27 PM »

Letwin's West Dorset constituency was very marginally pro Leave in 2016.  Less so than the whole UK vote.  Given polls since it's probably net pro remain now

Given that it looks like the EU is to say the least, reluctant to give another extension no deal does look like a possibility now.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2019, 06:21:15 PM »

He didn't stop no deal... ::)

And he was voted back in the last time on a manifesto which said it would respect the result of the referendum... ::)

And the polls show that most Conservative think Parliament should vote to accept the deal... ::)

Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2019, 07:17:12 PM »
Actually he was voted back on a manifesto that first and foremost committed to make the UK stronger and more prosperous and how awkward that he seems to think that that should first and foremost be what guides his voting

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2019, 04:18:47 AM »
Actually he was voted back on a manifesto that first and foremost committed to make the UK stronger and more prosperous and how awkward that he seems to think that that should first and foremost be what guides his voting

Brexit

Exit the European single market and customs union but seek a "deep and special partnership" including comprehensive free trade and customs agreement
Vote in both Houses of Parliament on "final agreement" for Brexit
Assess whether to continue with specific European programmes and it "will be reasonable that we make a contribution" to the ones which continue
Agree terms of future partnership with EU alongside withdrawal, both within the two years allowed under Article 50
Convert EU law into UK law and later allow parliament to pass legislation to "amend, repeal or improve" any piece of this
Remain signatories to the European Convention on Human Rights for the next parliament
Repeal or replace the Human Rights Act "while the process of Brexit is under way" ruled out, although consideration will be given to the UK's "human rights legal framework" when Brexit concludes
Reduce and control immigration from Europe after Brexit
Seek to replicate all existing EU free trade agreements
Support the ratification of trade agreements entered into during our EU membership
Introduce a Trade Bill in the next parliament
Create a network of Her Majesty's Trade Commissioners to head nine new regional overseas posts
Reconvene the Board of Trade to increase exports from Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland as well as England.

Conservative manifesto summary: Key points at-a-glance
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2019, 10:20:38 AM »
Well yes people say it says all sorts of things but here's the full definitive text

I didn't vote for it but is it really supposedly wrong of Letwin to read that front cover and see that neither Boris's deal or no-deal live up to it in his opinion?