Author Topic: You are very lucky to be alive, said everyone  (Read 11701 times)

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
You are very lucky to be alive, said everyone
« on: May 25, 2019, 03:42:51 PM »
With the M25 blocked by an accident I slipped off down the A3 to cut across country to Brighton.

Tootling along at about 45-50 I saw the car ahead of me braking, so I gave the brakes a touch. Nothing happened  eeek:  Hit the brakes harder and all the wheels lockedskid, spun through 360 and then headed off the road down a wooded embankment and ended wedged against a tree about 30 feet from the main road.

All the windows exploded, front of the car smashed in, both front wings detached and bye bye wing mirrors.

I got out of the car and clambered up the bank to where a lorry and several cars had stopped.

The ambulances got there first, then the Fire Brigade and then the plod. 

They were pretty surprised (as was I) to discover that I had one teeny scratch with did not merit even a plaster.  Ambulance crew were very nice, though they remarked that my heart rate was a bit high  ::)

Everyone left, ambulance gave me a lift to Petersfield station with my luggage and, I gather, the RAC have now recovered the car to a depot in Fontwell.

Glad to be unscathed but otherwise fucking furious  Angry9:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Re: You are very lucky to be alive, said everyone
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 03:53:16 PM »
With the M25 blocked by an accident I slipped off down the A3 to cut across country to Brighton.

Tootling along at about 45-50 I saw the car ahead of me braking, so I gave the brakes a touch. Nothing happened  eeek:  Hit the brakes harder and all the wheels lockedskid, spun through 360 and then headed off the road down a wooded embankment and ended wedged against a tree about 30 feet from the main road.

All the windows exploded, front of the car smashed in, both front wings detached and bye bye wing mirrors.

I got out of the car and clambered up the bank to where a lorry and several cars had stopped.

They were pretty surprised (as was I) to discover that I had one teeny scratch with did not merit even a plaster.  Ambulance crew were very nice, though they remarked that my heart rate was a bit high  ::)

Everyone left, ambulance gave me a lift to Petersfield station with my luggage and, I gather, the RAC have now recovered the car to a depot in Fontwell.

Fuck me Nick!  eeek:

I reckon it's time you got ride of that Owld Sierra....  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Nick

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 04:03:13 PM »
ANd no courtesty car yet as it is a sodding Bank HOliday weekend   Banghead Banghead

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 04:04:33 PM »
ANd no courtesty car yet as it is a sodding Bank HOliday weekend   Banghead Banghead

I can't imagine I'd want to be driving anytime soon!  lol:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Nick

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2019, 04:14:56 PM »
Mixed feelings. May need to get back in the saddle. Will have to hire a car Tuesday to go to Fontwell and get the rest of my stuff from the car.  noooo:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2019, 04:21:04 PM »
Mixed feelings. May need to get back in the saddle. Will have to hire a car Tuesday to go to Fontwell and get the rest of my stuff from the car.  noooo:

You didn't get one of your gumboots stuck under the brake peddle did you...? ::)

Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2019, 05:28:48 PM »
The spiritualist  has voodooed you  scared2:
Skubber

Offline Nick

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2019, 05:35:52 PM »
At least this gets me out of going to Godalming and Canterbury next week  :thumbsup:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2019, 05:49:19 PM »
The spiritualist  has voodooed you  scared2:

eeek:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2019, 05:56:06 PM »
At least this gets me out of going to Godalming and Canterbury next week  :thumbsup:

You could easily have been collecting another type of box  eeek: eeek: eeek: sad24:
Skubber

Offline Nick

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2019, 06:01:18 PM »
Seriously, that thought will come back to haunt me for some time  noooo:. WIll post pics of the wreckage when I go to collect my stuff  .....

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2019, 09:21:31 PM »

eeek: eeek: eeek:

Well at least you're OK but WTF caused it?
Well, whatever, nevermind

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2019, 10:24:14 PM »

Well at least you're OK but WTF caused it?
What is the old adage? "Any landing you can walk away from is a good one"

I assume this was the Owld Sierra not some new fangled thing you were talking about?

I mostly despair

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2019, 10:30:04 PM »
 I believe this was Fifi the Fearless!!

Need to check the lease agreement to see if brakes were included (or parts thereof) ?  rubschin:
Skubber

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2019, 10:41:47 PM »
I believe this was Fifi the Fearless!!

Need to check the lease agreement to see if brakes were included (or parts thereof) ?  rubschin:

Still under warranty. Blame>Claim Kerching!

Obviously couldn't have been pilot error
I mostly despair