Author Topic: The Boy turns 18  (Read 3484 times)

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
The Boy turns 18
« on: May 19, 2016, 04:31:32 PM »
A long haul. At 18 he has the right to know everything about his pre adoption life including documents, records, ID of his mother, addresses, the lot. Some of it is not good  noooo:

Am currently trying to start a conversation about this approaching landmark  (6 weeks from now) with Mrs NIck to try to agree a joint approach. Have low expectations. May have to get The Boy alone in London or here for a long walk and talk, but would prefer it otherwise.

WIsh me luck, VPers  noooo:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Re: The Boy turns 18
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 04:33:32 PM »
Um, has he asked for all this stuff...?
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 04:37:13 PM »
A good point

He may not want to know yet

Good luck in any case
I mostly despair

Offline Nick

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 04:38:04 PM »
He is entitled to and we have an obligation to tell him he can. He prolly knows it. He may not be interested, but it is best to be prepared with a common line, TLC, and so on.

All the material is in "THE BOX" which I started when he was 3. I know where it is.

It is possible he may wish to meet his "mother". He may not. Would rather be prepared. It could all knock him off balance.......

Offline Nick

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 04:39:22 PM »
A good point

He may not want to know yet

Good luck in any case

Ta. He has some contact with his sisters and Grandma. Not much. I have no idea how he feels about all this.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 04:42:32 PM »
He is entitled to and we have an obligation to tell him he can. He prolly knows it. He may not be interested, but it is best to be prepared with a common line, TLC, and so on.

All the material is in "THE BOX" which I started when he was 3. I know where it is.

It is possible he may wish to meet his "mother". He may not. Would rather be prepared. It could all knock him off balance.......

Good to be prepared...  :thumbsup:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 05:29:47 PM »
A long haul. At 18 he has the right to know everything about his pre adoption life including documents, records, ID of his mother, addresses, the lot. Some of it is not good  noooo:

Am currently trying to start a conversation about this approaching landmark  (6 weeks from now) with Mrs NIck to try to agree a joint approach. Have low expectations. May have to get The Boy alone in London or here for a long walk and talk, but would prefer it otherwise.

WIsh me luck, VPers  noooo:
Best of luck. Actually methinks you'll do this well

Well, whatever, nevermind

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 05:55:09 PM »
You may also be surprised how little this may mean to him after he has satisfied his potential initial curiosity .

Skubber

Offline Nick

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 05:56:21 PM »
Maybe. WHo knows???

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2016, 06:25:27 PM »
A good friend of mine has just adopted 2 young siblings. (4 & 2) . This is after years of trying to have their own children and going through all the emotional and physical turmoil that this created.

Anyway they are finally happy - things are going well and the kids are really settled.

So along come  Social Services again and inform them that the natural birth parents have produced another child that has been taken into care and needs adopting . How wonderful it would if they could take this new baby ad the kids could have their sibling with them ( pile on the guilt etc )

They simply cannot afford this or do not have the accommodation for another ...but now she is in some sort of hell thinking when they are 18 they will hate them for this decision ..and also blaming herself for not being able to keep them all together.

It never ends - one way or another as nothing stops the birth parents producing another child then another  ::)
Skubber

Offline Nick

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2016, 06:28:04 PM »
SOcial workers are utter bastards. ANd the Boy has a younger sister. ............

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2016, 07:35:11 PM »
You really need to get talking with Mrs Nick. I believe that a joint approach is the by far the best way. It would show him that whatever the differences are between the two of you, you both have his welfare at heart. And I feel you should really impress that to Mrs Nick. She must feel the same way.

I take it you don't have "THE BOX" but I would suggest getting hold of it because, if as you fear Mrs Nick won't agree to do this together then, you'll need it for your long walk and talk.

Finally though, it will be the Boy's decision as to what he does and I would advise backing him fully, whatever you personally feel about it.

Best of luck Nick.

Offline Nick

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2016, 05:28:35 AM »
Quite right, Uncle. Thanks

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2016, 05:52:24 AM »
Excellent thread...  cloud9:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2016, 07:36:40 AM »
You really need to get talking with Mrs Nick. I believe that a joint approach is the by far the best way. It would show him that whatever the differences are between the two of you, you both have his welfare at heart. And I feel you should really impress that to Mrs Nick. She must feel the same way.

I take it you don't have "THE BOX" but I would suggest getting hold of it because, if as you fear Mrs Nick won't agree to do this together then, you'll need it for your long walk and talk.

Finally though, it will be the Boy's decision as to what he does and I would advise backing him fully, whatever you personally feel about it.

Best of luck Nick.
:thumbsup:
"Sage of the Day" award to Uncle
I mostly despair