Author Topic: The Upcoming Movie Thread  (Read 64077 times)

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Re: The Upcoming Movie Thread
« Reply #345 on: April 15, 2020, 07:26:01 AM »
Watched .."invention of Lying "......again....... Thumbs:

No you didn't... ::)
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #346 on: April 15, 2020, 10:00:07 AM »
I was really looking forward to Dune when it comes out but this interview makes me wonder if Villeneuve actually understands what the novel is about. 

For Villeneuve, this 55-year-old story about a planet being mined to death was not merely a space adventure, but a prophecy. “No matter what you believe, Earth is changing, and we will have to adapt,” he says. “That’s why I think that Dune, this book, was written in the 20th century. It was a distant portrait of the reality of the oil and the capitalism and the exploitation—the overexploitation—of Earth. Today, things are just worse. It’s a coming-of-age story, but also a call for action for the youth.”

It's not a distant portrait of the reality of oil and capitalism, if you had actually read the series you would know that. The reason why Arrakis is a desert planet is explained in Children of Dune and it has nothing to do with overexploitation of natural resources by people. Herbert wrote Dune and the subsequent books in the series based upon the idea that charismatic leaders were dangerous. In fact his famous quote on the matter is "I wrote the Dune Saga because I had this idea that charismatic leaders ought to come with the warning label 'May Be Dangerous To Your Health'" something he said numerous times.

In an intriguing change to the source material, Villeneuve has also updated Dr. Liet Kynes, the leading ecologist on Arrakis and an independent power broker amid the various warring factions. Although always depicted as a white man, the character is now played by Sharon Duncan-Brewster (Rogue One), a black woman. “What Denis had stated to me was there was a lack of female characters in his cast, and he had always been very feminist, pro-women, and wanted to write the role for a woman,” Duncan-Brewster says. “This human being manages to basically keep the peace amongst many people. Women are very good at that, so why can’t Kynes be a woman? Why shouldn’t Kynes be a woman?”

Aside from Herbert describing Kynes face in detail in chapter one I don't have a problem with you deciding to change Kynes to a woman if you thought that her performance of the role was the best one, but how the hell could you claim to have done it because of a lack of female characters in the bloody cast. Off the top of my head I can think of nearly 10 female characters, most of them pivotal in one way or another in the novel:

Lady Jessica Atreides
Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Princess Irulan
Chani Kynes/Atreides
Alia Atreides
Shadout Mapes
Margot Fenring
Harah
Reverend Mother Ramallo

Not to mention the entire bloody Bene Gesserit order.

Are you saying that they aren't going to be included in the film? Good luck with trying to rewrite the plot then. If you are going to change the gender of a character then at least be honest about why you are doing it instead of blowing smoke up our arses.

Dune should be in the perfect position to eclipse Star Wars as one of, if not the biggest science fiction film franchise after the disasters that have come out under Disney and Kennedy Granted that the article does tend to read as if it was written by an intern who had skimmed through the Dummies Guide to Dune (I was even half expecting to read them describe Paul as a Jedi wizard Greta Thunberg) but as much as I want to be wrong about it I'm starting to have reservations about this adaptation.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2020/04/behold-dune-an-exclusive-look-at-timothee-chalamet-zendaya-oscar-isaac#intcid=recommendations_default-popular_72a30b17-66f4-4fd6-8e5d-8c63b6ded434_popular4-1

The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster
« Reply #347 on: April 15, 2020, 03:32:45 PM »

;D ;D ;D

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster
« Reply #348 on: April 15, 2020, 05:20:13 PM »
Star Wars fans: Don't get angry when people berate your favourite films. Just count slowly up to ten...............

4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3, 7, 3.5, 8, 2.75, 9, 10............ Thumbs:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #349 on: April 15, 2020, 05:44:35 PM »
Star Wars fans: Don't get angry when people berate your favourite films. Just count slowly up to ten...............

lol: lol: lol:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #350 on: April 15, 2020, 05:45:52 PM »

;D ;D ;D

I really did just watch it...  cloud9: cloud9: cloud9:

Not sure how we missed it...?  rubschin:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster
« Reply #351 on: April 15, 2020, 06:01:02 PM »

;D ;D ;D

I really did just watch it...  cloud9: cloud9: cloud9:

Not sure how we missed it...?  rubschin:

You ignore ALL my suggestions ..simply ..

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #352 on: April 15, 2020, 06:20:48 PM »

lol: lol: lol: lol:
Well, whatever, nevermind

Offline Just One More

• Power Poster
« Reply #353 on: April 15, 2020, 06:38:30 PM »

lol: lol: lol: lol:

lol: lol: lol: lol: lol:
LiFe - It's an "F" in lie

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster
« Reply #354 on: April 26, 2020, 11:49:19 PM »
Anyone watched ..this .only found it from soundtrack ....... rubschin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mz3TkxJhPc

Harold and Maude......

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #355 on: April 27, 2020, 12:01:25 AM »

Harold and Maude......
Nope, seem to recall the title

Is it a USA remake of Steptoe and Son?

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #356 on: April 27, 2020, 05:21:27 AM »

Harold and Maude......

PB has it... Probably...  redface:

Reviews are good, might give it a go...  rubschin:

A 'tour de force' of a film and one of Hal Ashby's best films

'Harold & Maude' is one of those 'sleeper' films that just seems to resonate that bit more with every passing year. Harold, played by the criminally under-utilized Bud Cort, is the quintessential disaffected rich kid wanting to find some meaning in a vacuous life who hooks up with the devil-may-care Maude through their mutual love of attending funerals (Joyce's word 'fun-for-all' springs readily to mind in those scenes). There is plenty to love about this film, the slower pace and the lampooning of easy targets, the 'gung-ho' military uncle and the fetishist priest for example. Here is a film that really stands up well to repeated viewings.
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #357 on: April 30, 2020, 09:23:46 AM »
Looks like when things get back to normal it could be a good time for the smaller independent cinema chains now that larger ones are throwing a temper tantrum against Universal over Trolls 2 and banning any other of their films from being shown. So for the sake of one film going straight to VOD they are sacrificing guaranteed major earnings from:

Jurassic World Dominion
Fast and Furious 9
Minions: The Rise of Gru
Boss Baby 2

I know that they want to keep the old status quo but this is just a case of cutting off your nose to spite your face.  facepalm:

I'm surprised that AMC were the first to kick this off though, even with the extra $500 million they raised in debt offering and the share price increase with around $5 billion total debt they are still bloody close to going into bankruptcy
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #358 on: April 30, 2020, 09:38:25 AM »
Looks like when things get back to normal it could be a good time for the smaller independent cinema chains now that larger ones are throwing a temper tantrum against Universal over Trolls 2 and banning any other of their films from being shown. So for the sake of one film going straight to VOD they are sacrificing guaranteed major earnings from:

Jurassic World Dominion
Fast and Furious 9
Boss Baby 2

I know that they want to keep the old status quo but this is just a case of cutting off your nose to spite your face.  facepalm:

I'm surprised that AMC were the first to kick this off though, even with the extra $500 million they raised in debt offering and the share price increase with around $5 billion total debt they are still bloody close to going into bankruptcy
A stupid spat mainly caused by very well paid people not engaging brain before using keyboard

They'll be a kiss and make up but this is likely to be looked back at as another roadmarker on the road to the end of cinemas.  The answer to the question 'would cinemas have existed if VOD and 50" LED screens been invented first?'  is no.

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #359 on: April 30, 2020, 04:57:52 PM »

Jurassic World Dominion
Fast and Furious 9
Boss Baby 2

A stupid spat mainly caused by very well paid people not engaging brain before using keyboard

They'll be a kiss and make up but this is likely to be looked back at as another roadmarker on the road to the end of cinemas.  The answer to the question 'would cinemas have existed if VOD and 50" LED screens been invented first?'  is no.

There may be some frantic attempts to kiss and make up but it's going to cost AMC and that is going to hit the Odeon chain here especially as the next James Bond film was pretty much a guaranteed hit.  noooo: