Author Topic: The Upcoming Movie Thread  (Read 64186 times)

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
Re: The Upcoming Movie Thread
« Reply #180 on: May 23, 2018, 05:18:19 PM »
Ok, review time for Solo...

Meh...

noooo:

Ok being serious now, I wanted to like this film, I really did. But I went in not expecting a masterpiece and I can safely say that Solo delivered in that regard. In all honesty if you strip away the nostalgia and take out Han, Chewie and Lando then all  you would have an updated version of a Roger Corman B movie with elements lifted from Firefly such as the train robbery. Hell at one point in the film I actually dozed off briefly. The plot, such as it was, was bland, clunky and predictable and at no point in the film did I feel invested in any way with the characters, even if Donald Glover's portrayal of Lando was spot on.

Overall it was a couple of hours of my life that I'm not going to get back...  noooo:
Shame but I'm not surprised.  Ta for saving me 2 hours and several £££

To be fair to the cast they did what they could with the shite they had been given but it's just another example of Kennedy running the franchise into the ground blindly championing her agenda. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the idea of inclusion, but it has to be done properly.  And from what has been shown in the recent films Gordon Brown's clunking fist was more subtle than the garbage the screenplay writers that have been allowed hammer into the stories. Compare the Star Wars films to the MCU films, Marvel is going from strength to strength because they not only use the right actor for the role and directors who respect the lore but they also give them the artistic freedom to make the films that the fans want. Star Wars on the other hand seems to be a drive to destroy one of if not the most successful franchise in movie history in order to rinse the customers and push an blatant agenda in a way that insults the fans.
Actually I thought the last Star Wars fillum was quite good

Aside from the hatchet job done on Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia's Jedi Poppins scene, Darth Whiny Emo, Rey's sudden mastery of Jedi combat when she has had little or no instruction, the blatant rip off of the Hoth battle from Empire Strikes Back, killing off senior characters just to get rid of them and then creating a pointless throwaway character in Holdo when she seems to have been crowbarred in just to force Dameron's mutiny by not telling the remaining command staff what the plan was. She would have been much better implemented by developing her over Ep 8 and 9, then there is the whole "we are on a secret mission and cannot give ourselves away but we will pretty much wave a huge flag saying Rebel spies here by rescuing the local wildlife" and of course the JarJar Binks of the new trilogy Rose Tico.
But apart from that . . . . .
Well, whatever, nevermind

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #181 on: May 24, 2018, 06:53:01 AM »
Ok, review time for Solo...

Meh...

noooo:

Ok being serious now, I wanted to like this film, I really did. But I went in not expecting a masterpiece and I can safely say that Solo delivered in that regard. In all honesty if you strip away the nostalgia and take out Han, Chewie and Lando then all  you would have an updated version of a Roger Corman B movie with elements lifted from Firefly such as the train robbery. Hell at one point in the film I actually dozed off briefly. The plot, such as it was, was bland, clunky and predictable and at no point in the film did I feel invested in any way with the characters, even if Donald Glover's portrayal of Lando was spot on.

Overall it was a couple of hours of my life that I'm not going to get back...  noooo:
Shame but I'm not surprised.  Ta for saving me 2 hours and several £££

To be fair to the cast they did what they could with the shite they had been given but it's just another example of Kennedy running the franchise into the ground blindly championing her agenda. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the idea of inclusion, but it has to be done properly.  And from what has been shown in the recent films Gordon Brown's clunking fist was more subtle than the garbage the screenplay writers that have been allowed hammer into the stories. Compare the Star Wars films to the MCU films, Marvel is going from strength to strength because they not only use the right actor for the role and directors who respect the lore but they also give them the artistic freedom to make the films that the fans want. Star Wars on the other hand seems to be a drive to destroy one of if not the most successful franchise in movie history in order to rinse the customers and push an blatant agenda in a way that insults the fans.
Actually I thought the last Star Wars fillum was quite good

Aside from the hatchet job done on Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia's Jedi Poppins scene, Darth Whiny Emo, Rey's sudden mastery of Jedi combat when she has had little or no instruction, the blatant rip off of the Hoth battle from Empire Strikes Back, killing off senior characters just to get rid of them and then creating a pointless throwaway character in Holdo when she seems to have been crowbarred in just to force Dameron's mutiny by not telling the remaining command staff what the plan was. She would have been much better implemented by developing her over Ep 8 and 9, then there is the whole "we are on a secret mission and cannot give ourselves away but we will pretty much wave a huge flag saying Rebel spies here by rescuing the local wildlife" and of course the JarJar Binks of the new trilogy Rose Tico.
But apart from that . . . . .

http://youtu.be/rCB8DUGpYQQ

:thumbsup:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #182 on: May 24, 2018, 08:08:36 AM »
 noooo:

awful it is

Offline Steve

• Power Poster

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #186 on: June 17, 2018, 03:54:25 PM »
Hmmm...

http://youtu.be/ek1ePFp-nBI

Not sure but I'll probably give it a look when I can use a free ticket...  rubschin:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #187 on: June 24, 2018, 04:51:19 PM »
While I've said previously that this guy's story would make an interesting film, the idea of George Clooney butchering a Yorkshire accent....  noooo:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5879781/Story-caravan-salesman-won-2m-Vegas-film.html

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #188 on: June 24, 2018, 05:42:01 PM »
While I've said previously that this guy's story would make an interesting film, the idea of George Clooney butchering a Yorkshire accent....  noooo:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5879781/Story-caravan-salesman-won-2m-Vegas-film.html

lol: lol: lol:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #189 on: July 24, 2018, 01:16:30 PM »
Good news for Unc, it wasn't cancelled and it's almost here...

http://youtu.be/-PdoohXyZSE

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #190 on: July 25, 2018, 08:07:15 AM »
 rubschin:

Think I'll wait for the DVD.

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #191 on: July 25, 2018, 11:13:39 PM »
Even if Godzilla still looks like he's eaten all the pies I'm really looking forward to this...  cloud9:

http://youtu.be/wVDtmouV9kM

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #192 on: July 26, 2018, 03:22:20 AM »
Even if Godzilla still looks like he's eaten all the pies I'm really looking forward to this...  cloud9:

Meh...  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #193 on: July 26, 2018, 11:10:36 AM »

Meh...  noooo:

I grew up watching the old naff Japanese man in a rubber suit crushing a cardboard city godzilla films...  cloud9:

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #194 on: July 26, 2018, 11:13:34 AM »
I grew up watching Ray Harryhausen films; much better.   :thumbsup: