Disgusterous

Author Topic: Technology  (Read 9816 times)

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Technology
« on: May 07, 2007, 07:34:44 PM »
I bloody love technology me!

I am a gadget freak, early adopter, techno wizard ? I?ve wasted thousands and thousands of Pounds on new products that I simply had to have!

Early acquisitions included a watch I saw advertised in a Sunday supplement that played ?Oh Susannah? when the alarm went off or at any other time that you wanted to impress/annoy other people. I owned it within days.

I remember the calculator I saw in Dixons [shudder] that was credit card size (thickness too) and solar powered ? I had to own it.

A watch with ?hands? made from a liquid crystal display ? mine.

A ?Hi-Fi? VHS video player (years before NICAM) that could be connected to your stereo and record ?simulcasts? from the wireless ? about the only thing it was good for as there were few ?Hi-Fi? tapes in the rental stores between the racks of normal VHS and Betamax titles.

Not one but two Laserdisc players and a huge collection (70+) of movies instantly made obsolete by the introduction of the DVD (video) system.

The very first MP3 player with 16Mbytes RAM.

I could go on ? am I the only one damned to a life of acquiring soon-to-be-obsolete electronic products?
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
Re: Technology
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 11:46:49 AM »
Yes.

tunble:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 12:25:49 PM »
Oh...  redface:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 11:01:06 PM »
Hate technology with an undying passion. I mean, look how long it took me just to get in this place! WHAT spam folder? whistle:

Had to drive Mrs GROWLERS car tonight. Nearly crashed the bloody thing trying to suss out how to operate the radio and turn the cruise control on, and then more importantly, with a wagon looming up in front and a car overtaking me in the middle lane....OFF! Also, why do I need a computer to switch the bloody lights on for me, and operate the wipers.
I'LL decide when to do those operations thanks. evil:

Bring back the abacus, quill, Quink, and parchment I say, and plugs points twin SU's and condensors on cars. 8)

Bloody modern shite, and it all breaks down eventually and leaves you stranded too. HATE IT, but there's no escape now sadly. sad32:
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 11:04:45 PM by GROWLER »

Sour Puss

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 05:19:09 PM »

I could go on ? am I the only one damned to a life of acquiring soon-to-be-obsolete electronic products?

noooo:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 05:58:36 PM »

noooo:
yay!  lol:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 08:12:11 AM »
Pickin' up a new 2nd hand motor tomorrow, and apparently it's got an ipod compatible radio in it so the current owner was proudly telling me.
Twittered on about it being so good and doing away with the need for multichange cd thingies or summat. rubschin:
When I first heard about them, I thought they were some sort of new age medical treatment for conjunctivitus. eeek:

Yea anyway, if you say so mate, but where tf's the cassette player?  ::)
Got hundreds of them here, and they need listening to.
Bloody modern shite. evil:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 08:15:14 AM »
Pickin' up a new 2nd hand motor tomorrow, and apparently it's got an ipod compatible radio in it so the current owner was proudly telling me.
Twittered on about it being so good and doing away with the need for multichange cd thingies or summat. rubschin:
When I first heard about them, I thought they were some sort of new age medical treatment for conjunctivitus. eeek:

I?m surprised you drive a car at all ? wouldn?t a horse and cart be more up your street?  noooo:

You could put the manure on your turnips too?  whistle:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 08:28:38 AM »

I?m surprised you drive a car at all ? wouldn?t a horse and cart be more up your street?  noooo:

You could put the manure on your turnips too?  whistle:

Yes! thumbsup:

Offline Nick

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 08:55:14 AM »
I was working with awman yesterday who had an odd watch.  Since I had forgotten to put my own watch on I glanced at hers a few times to check what time it was, but had some difficulty.  She explaned later that she is "very" left handed and has a special watch which is a mirror image of a normal one (12 at the top with 1 on the left and 11 on the right).  The hands move, er, anticlockwise, and it is the only way she can tell the time.

I want one!!
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2007, 08:57:34 AM »
I was working with awman yesterday who had an odd watch.  Since I had forgotten to put my own watch on I glanced at hers a few times to check what time it was, but had some difficulty.  She explaned later that she is "very" left handed and has a special watch which is a mirror image of a normal one (12 at the top with 1 on the left and 11 on the right).  The hands move, er, anticlockwise, and it is the only way she can tell the time.

I want one!!
Are you sure she didn?t have one of those nurses? fob watches and you were actually looking down the reflection of her top in a mirror or um, something?  confused:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Nick

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2007, 09:04:49 AM »
Nope. It was a mirror image of a normal watch!

I will buy one when I am next in London

http://www.anythingleft-handed.co.uk/acatalog/le_chat_mirror_backwards_watch.html#a418

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2007, 09:14:02 AM »
Nope. It was a mirror image of a normal watch!

I will buy one when I am next in London

http://www.anythingleft-handed.co.uk/acatalog/le_chat_mirror_backwards_watch.html#a418
You are Ned Flanders - I claim my $5

« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 09:18:07 AM by Barman »
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2007, 09:18:10 AM »

I want one!!

Who?

Awe-man?
Ah man?
Eamon?
Mamon?
Ahmed?

Pull yourself together and speak claerly boy. ::)
I mostly despair

Offline Nick

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2007, 09:20:36 AM »
I was thinking of eidting those error but couldn't be bothered. I plead fatigue. Got stuck in a huge traffic jam last night (consequence of multiple pile up) and ended up having to get a hotel overnight. With Mrs Nick off to work early I had to get up at 4.30 a.m.  eeek:to drive home (got here at 7). My eyes are propped open with matchsticks noooo: