Disgusterous

Author Topic: BBC defends Jo brand's acid attack 'joke'  (Read 1969 times)

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
BBC defends Jo brand's acid attack 'joke'
« on: June 13, 2019, 07:13:51 AM »
I heard about this earlier and I have to say that I think the excuse given by the BBC was utter shite, as was Brand's covering herself over the comment.

Brand, speaking after Mr Farage and a number of far-right European election candidates were covered in milkshakes during campaign walkabouts in May, said "Why bother with a milkshake when you could get some battery acid?"

The comic then went on to immediately make clear she was joking and criticised the milkshake stunts.

"That's just me. I'm not going to do it," she said. "It's purely a fantasy, but I think milkshakes are pathetic, I honestly do, sorry."

You were a mental health nurse before moving into comedy so you are well aware of the power of words. There is already a massive problem with acid attacks in this country so making comments like that, especially when you follow up with saying that you think milkshakes are pathetic is the height or irresponsibility as it can easily make someone think that using acid would be better. I just hope some poor bastard doesn't pay the price because you want to be edgy and are desperate to be relevant.

And as for Victoria Coren Mitchell having a go at Nigel Farage over his response and trying to pass it off as a joke, I dare you to try saying the same thing to victims of acid attacks. See how funny they find it.

I have to wonder just how many pensioners could have had their licence fees paid using the money that pair made for the episode.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48611424
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
Re: BBC defends Jo brand's acid attack 'joke'
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 07:58:33 AM »
I heard about this earlier and I have to say that I think the excuse given by the BBC was utter shite, as was Brand's covering herself over the comment.

Brand, speaking after Mr Farage and a number of far-right European election candidates were covered in milkshakes during campaign walkabouts in May, said "Why bother with a milkshake when you could get some battery acid?"

The comic then went on to immediately make clear she was joking and criticised the milkshake stunts.

"That's just me. I'm not going to do it," she said. "It's purely a fantasy, but I think milkshakes are pathetic, I honestly do, sorry."

You were a mental health nurse before moving into comedy so you are well aware of the power of words. There is already a massive problem with acid attacks in this country so making comments like that, especially when you follow up with saying that you think milkshakes are pathetic is the height or irresponsibility as it can easily make someone think that using acid would be better. I just hope some poor bastard doesn't pay the price because you want to be edgy and are desperate to be relevant.

And as for Victoria Coren Mitchell having a go at Nigel Farage over his response and trying to pass it off as a joke, I dare you to try saying the same thing to victims of acid attacks. See how funny they find it.

I have to wonder just how many pensioners could have had their licence fees paid using the money that pair made for the episode.

Well said ^
Well, whatever, nevermind

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 08:51:51 AM »

Well said ^

^^^ Precisely ^^^

It is the gross hypocrisy of the BBC that grates most!  cussing:

Thank fuck I don't pay for it any more....
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 08:54:27 AM »

Well said ^

^^^ Precisely ^^^

It is the gross hypocrisy of the BBC that grates most!  cussing:

Thank fuck I don't pay for it any more....

Given that this is on the back of the BBC cancelling the free licence for pensioners I can see a lot of people cancelling their licence and going fully VOD instead.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 09:23:10 AM »
Got the BBC on at the moment, They've got it in for Boris as well.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 09:53:02 AM »
Got the BBC on at the moment, They've got it in for Boris as well.

Get away Uncle!  lol:

Why, it is almost as if they'd be willing to attack anybody that was pro-Brexit!  rubschin:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 10:24:33 AM »
Nah just shameless lying law breaking hate speakers that help Iran keep Brits in jail

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 11:26:10 AM »
Nah just shameless lying law breaking hate speakers that help Iran keep Brits in jail

It strikes me that as the then Foreign Secretary he was in a position to know the truth about Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe. Do you know the allegations are untrue? I don't. 

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2019, 11:34:36 AM »
Ricky Gervais
2 hrs ·
A comedian making jokes about throwing acid in innocent people’s faces doesn’t mean you can make jokes about her weight. That’s just nasty.

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2019, 11:40:36 AM »

It strikes me that as the then Foreign Secretary he was in a position to know the truth about Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe. Do you know the allegations are untrue? I don't.
So why did he later apologise for those comments saying "I acknowledge that words I used were open to being misinterpreted, and I apologise to Mrs Zaghari-Ratcliffe and her family if I have inadvertently caused them any further anguish."

He was either a bumbling fuckwit making the comment or a liar apologising.  Not fit to run a whelk stall

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2019, 12:33:37 PM »
Ricky Gervais
2 hrs ·
A comedian making jokes about throwing acid in innocent people’s faces doesn’t mean you can make jokes about her weight. That’s just nasty.

lol: lol: lol:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2019, 12:41:21 PM »

So why did he later apologise for those comments saying "I acknowledge that words I used were open to being misinterpreted, and I apologise to Mrs Zaghari-Ratcliffe and her family if I have inadvertently caused them any further anguish."

He was either a bumbling fuckwit making the comment or a liar apologising.  Not fit to run a whelk stall

He doesn't say that he was wrong though.

I see he's the leading contender for Prime Minister, some whelk stall  :thumbsup:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2019, 12:54:30 PM »

He doesn't say that he was wrong though.

I see he's the leading contender for Prime Minister, some whelk stall  :thumbsup:

I've never particularly liked whelks but he is the best bet the Tories have for PM...  :thumbsup:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2019, 01:41:00 PM »
I know that it's the Daily Fail but if those follow on comments from her are accurate and she believes that because she doesn't work for the BBC she is untouchable it's only a matter of time before someone gives her the Danny Baker treatment and makes a complaint to the police.

The BBC twitter feed is worth a look though

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1138901951620505603

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7136813/Nigel-Farage-blasts-Jo-Brand-acid-attack-remark-Radio-4.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ico=taboola_feed