Disgusterous

Author Topic: TMR's all new "Tales from the Underworld" thread  (Read 235749 times)

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster
Re: TMR's all new "Tales from the Underworld" thread
« Reply #1695 on: May 06, 2018, 04:00:09 PM »
I noticed that all the luggage manglers were in shorts at Queenstown this morning and it was bleddy freezy....

Shorts ........ whistle:

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #1696 on: July 31, 2018, 06:38:00 AM »
The summer season is in full flow and I cannot remember such an ongoing shitstorm. This time last year cancellations were rare and delays infrequent.

For the last month though, Gatwick has been a pit of human misery.

From weather events to ATC restrictions to runway closures to ATC strikes over Europe, the number of passengers (I refuse to call them customers) suffering prolonged delays and then sometimes cancellations is simply appalling. We have ~ 70 easyJet aircraft based at Gatwick and 43% of the slots / 200 flights per day so obviously the factors above affect it more than other airlines, although they too are suffering the same delays/cancellations.

On a normal day we will get the "first wave" ~ 70 flights out by 08.30. All good. As the second wave (0830-1430) starts kicking in, the delays start mounting and my computer screen starts showing red patches for the delayed flights. Cumulative delays from leaving LGW late in the 1st wave (too many planes trying to take off for 1 runway) plus delays on the turnaround at the other end start to bite. Incoming aircraft are stacked and circle for yonks due to ATC flow restrictions.

By the 3rd wave (1430-2230) the screen is almost entirely red with delays of 45mins - 2 1/2 hours common.

I finish at 1900 and before I do, I have a section of usually 9 flights to get out between 1800-1815. This time last year,  it was rare for me not to get them all out.

Last night I didn't get even 1 of them out.

As a result of all the delays, a good number of flight crews will be "out of hours" if they complete the return sector and thus the cancellations begin. A dozen or so last night, I am informed.

Compensation is only payable where a flight is delayed more than 3 hours and I honestly believe all the airlines are happy for delays up to 3 hours and then simply cancel the flight if it is going to be more, citing crews "out of hours". It's probably cheaper to simply refund the ticket price and put the passengers up in a hotel - assuming they don't go home instead.

In the last week we have had 4 runway closures leading to diversions to Bournemouth/Southend/Luton leading to - you guessed it - further cancellations. The first runway closure was a Virgin Atlantic with hydraulic issues leading to no nosewheel steering. Later that day, the Virgin Atlantic they flew in to replace it left LGW, reported hydraulic issues leading to no nosewheel steering, dumped fuel over Southampton then landed as a full emergency, closing the runway. A few days later a BA reported hydraulic issues leading to no nosewheel steering and landed as a full emergency, closing the runway. And at about 1800 last night another BA reported hydraulic issues/no nosewheel steering leading to another runway closure. Spot a theme there?

I shall now spend the next 4 days getting hog-whimperingly drunk before it all starts again on Saturday  evil:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #1697 on: July 31, 2018, 07:26:33 AM »
The summer season is in full flow and I cannot remember such an ongoing shitstorm. This time last year cancellations were rare and delays infrequent.

From weather events to ATC restrictions to runway closures to ATC strikes over Europe, the number of passengers (I refuse to call them customers) suffering prolonged delays and then sometimes cancellations is simply appalling. We have ~ 70 easyJet aircraft based at Gatwick and 43% of the slots / 200 flights per day so obviously the factors above affect it more than other airlines, although they too are suffering the same delays/cancellations.

On a normal day we will get the "first wave" ~ 70 flights out by 08.30. All good. As the second wave (0830-1430) starts kicking in, the delays start mounting and my computer screen starts showing red patches for the delayed flights. Cumulative delays from leaving LGW late in the 1st wave (too many planes trying to take off for 1 runway) plus delays on the turnaround at the other end start to bite. Incoming aircraft are stacked and circle for yonks due to ATC flow restrictions.

By the 3rd wave (1430-2230) the screen is almost entirely red with delays of 45mins - 2 1/2 hours common.

I finish at 1900 and before I do, I have a section of usually 9 flights to get out between 1800-1815. This time last year,  it was rare for me not to get them all out.

As a result of all the delays, a good number of flight crews will be "out of hours" if they complete the return sector and thus the cancellations begin. A dozen or so last night, I am informed.

Compensation is only payable where a flight is delayed more than 3 hours and I honestly believe all the airlines are happy for delays up to 3 hours and then simply cancel the flight if it is going to be more, citing crews "out of hours". It's probably cheaper to simply refund the ticket price and put the passengers up in a hotel - assuming they don't go home instead.

In the last week we have had 4 runway closures leading to diversions to Bournemouth/Southend/Luton leading to - you guessed it - further cancellations. The first runway closure was a Virgin Atlantic with hydraulic issues leading to no nosewheel steering. Later that day, the Virgin Atlantic they flew in to replace it left LGW, reported hydraulic issues leading to no nosewheel steering, dumped fuel over Southampton then landed as a full emergency, closing the runway. A few days later a BA reported hydraulic issues leading to no nosewheel steering and landed as a full emergency, closing the runway. And at about 1800 last night another BA reported hydraulic issues/no nosewheel steering leading to another runway closure. Spot a theme there?

I shall now spend the next 4 days getting hog-whimperingly drunk before it all starts again on Saturday  evil:

And they're going to build another runway at Heathrow...  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #1698 on: July 31, 2018, 08:09:23 AM »

Amazing

Shouldn’t use Lidl hydraulic fluid though

Hopefully all will be fixed by September when I fly Gatwick to Italy
Well, whatever, nevermind

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #1699 on: August 31, 2018, 07:40:31 PM »
Quelle surpris. This morning at about 06.45 a Virgin Atlantic landing with hydraulic issues leading to nosewheel steering problems and had to be towed off the runway - leading it to it being closed at for 30 minutes. Enough to cause havoc for the rest of the day.

Still, job jobbed and 20 days off now  :thumbsup:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #1700 on: September 01, 2018, 05:31:14 AM »
Quelle surpris. This morning at about 06.45 a Virgin Atlantic landing with hydraulic issues leading to nosewheel steering problems and had to be towed off the runway - leading it to it being closed at for 30 minutes. Enough to cause havoc for the rest of the day.

Still, job jobbed and 20 days off now  :thumbsup:

happ096
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #1701 on: December 20, 2018, 04:57:42 PM »
I see Gatwick is still closed... I might not have to come back...  cloud9:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Nick

« Reply #1702 on: December 20, 2018, 05:01:27 PM »
TMR fancied a few days off  ::)
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #1703 on: December 20, 2018, 06:04:25 PM »
Something very odd going on. Every time the top brass announce that the runway will re-open, 20 minutes later a drone is spotted again.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #1704 on: December 20, 2018, 06:09:15 PM »
Something very odd going on. Every time the top brass announce that the runway will re-open, 20 minutes later a drone is spotted again.

Innocent...  angel1
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #1705 on: December 20, 2018, 06:38:05 PM »

I would imagine the stupid c*** watches the news.

Just watching the news, there are 22,000 hoax 999 calls each year. there really are some stupid c*** out there.  noooo:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #1706 on: December 20, 2018, 07:13:50 PM »

I would imagine the stupid c*** watches the news.

Just watching the news, there are 22,000 hoax 999 calls each year. there really are some stupid c*** out there.  noooo:
Sadly true

But there's an awful lot of industrial meat mincing machines they can be fed into

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #1707 on: December 20, 2018, 10:04:51 PM »
I see Gatwick is still closed... I might not have to come back...  cloud9:

That's ok, we'll have a whip round and send Nick and Nod over to visit....  whistle:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #1708 on: December 20, 2018, 11:26:44 PM »

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Pro Skub  Thumbs: