Author Topic: Coming up on the box  (Read 363006 times)

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
Re: Coming up on the box
« Reply #3015 on: November 18, 2016, 11:17:53 AM »
Just watched the first episode of the Grand Tour and it was exactly what you have come to expect from the three of them. albeit with a little  stronger language (one of the cars reviewed as "I didn't think it was possible to shit myself to death"). Unlike the BBC who have tried to flog a dead horse, Clarkson and co have transitioned easily to the new format, starting the show off by taking the piss out of each other being previously sacked by broadcasters apart from Jeremy, who then said that now they are on the internet he couldn't be sacked no matter what he did, even pleasuring a horse.

Their replacement for the Stig is going to be entertaining as he is an American NASCAR driver who isn't afraid to comment about the car he is driving and the whole mobile format of the show makes it a far more global affair as they are hosting the show in a custom made marquee tent which will travel to a new country each episode.

I did love the list of dangers/features of the new testing track:

Animals
Woods
Little old lady's house - apparently she is a fan of cars, Jeremy suspects that will change over the next few weeks  lol:
Electricity substation
Unexploded WW2 bomb...  eeek:

All in all I think it's safe to say depending on how hard the BBC tries to keep it going, Top Gear is going to be increasingly sidelined. Well worth a look.  Thumbs:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #3016 on: November 18, 2016, 12:16:31 PM »
Just watched the first episode of the Grand Tour and it was exactly what you have come to expect from the three of them. albeit with a little  stronger language (one of the cars reviewed as "I didn't think it was possible to shit myself to death"). Unlike the BBC who have tried to flog a dead horse, Clarkson and co have transitioned easily to the new format, starting the show off by taking the piss out of each other being previously sacked by broadcasters apart from Jeremy, who then said that now they are on the internet he couldn't be sacked no matter what he did, even pleasuring a horse.

Their replacement for the Stig is going to be entertaining as he is an American NASCAR driver who isn't afraid to comment about the car he is driving and the whole mobile format of the show makes it a far more global affair as they are hosting the show in a custom made marquee tent which will travel to a new country each episode.

I did love the list of dangers/features of the new testing track:

Animals
Woods
Little old lady's house - apparently she is a fan of cars, Jeremy suspects that will change over the next few weeks  lol:
Electricity substation
Unexploded WW2 bomb...  eeek:

All in all I think it's safe to say depending on how hard the BBC tries to keep it going, Top Gear is going to be increasingly sidelined. Well worth a look.  Thumbs:

Excellent!  Thumbs:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #3017 on: November 18, 2016, 06:16:54 PM »
that's the news we wanted

Well, whatever, nevermind

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #3018 on: November 18, 2016, 08:43:38 PM »
Interesting review from the BBC, wonder how many times Will had to rewrite it before it could be used and not look like sour grapes...  rubschin:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-38024595

Not seeing any element of the three hating each other, yes May was grumpy but a good part of that was down to having the mickey taken out of him for being caught speeding. Yes Captain Slow was done for doing 37mph in a 30 zone, it was guaranteed to be a piss taking target.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #3019 on: November 18, 2016, 08:47:29 PM »
The cinematography of TG was always very good, but this is just stunning. Clarkson for PM!

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #3020 on: November 19, 2016, 07:01:57 AM »
The cinematography of TG was always very good, but this is just stunning. Clarkson for PM!
Don't watch it on the phone, wait til you get back to big TV you say?

Well, whatever, nevermind

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #3021 on: November 19, 2016, 01:09:29 PM »
Just watching it - absolutely splendid!  Thumbs:

I think that opening sequence is called, 'rubbing The BBC's nose in it'....  lol:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #3022 on: November 25, 2016, 07:21:12 AM »
Just watched episode 2, laughed even more than watching the first one.  Thumbs:

This week presenting from South Africa, the trio were their bit for international diplomacy by taking the piss out of Zuma at every opportunity

I WANT the new aston martin vulcan. I don't care if it isn't street legal and that I'd need training as a contortionist to get in it I just want the damn thing. The test driver's commentary had me cracked up, the Stig's sarcastic redneck cousin.  lol:

This week had the smuggers (watching the trio did remind me of BM, Apey and Baldy) the three stooges vs special forces soldiers. (Imagine a modern day Dad's Army  whistle: )

Clarkson shows the problem with being a left handed soldier  noooo:

BM's memi saga has just been blown out of the water by the guy who built a fully road legal replica mercedes C9 from scratch in 16 months using a 1/32 scale model to get the dimensions.

All in all a corking show and well worth watching. If the rest of the series is anything like the last 2 shows then Top Gear is terminally buggered.  Thumbs:
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 07:27:58 AM by Grumpmeister »

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #3023 on: November 25, 2016, 07:49:59 AM »

This week presenting from South Africa, the trio were their bit for international diplomacy by taking the piss out of Zuma at every opportunity

I WANT the new aston martin vulcan. I don't care if it isn't street legal and that I'd need training as a contortionist to get in it I just want the damn thing. The test driver's commentary had me cracked up, the Stig's sarcastic redneck cousin.  lol:

This week had the smuggers (watching the trio did remind me of BM, Apey and Baldy) the three stooges vs special forces soldiers. (Imagine a modern day Dad's Army  whistle: )

BM's memi saga has just been blown out of the water by the guy who built a fully road legal replica mercedes C9 from scratch in 16 months using a 1/32 scale model to get the dimensions.

All in all a corking show and well worth watching. If the rest of the series is anything like the last 2 shows then Top Gear is terminally buggered.  Thumbs:

Will watch it tonight!  Thumbs:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #3024 on: November 25, 2016, 06:35:03 PM »

Excellent!  lol:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline miss Tchevious

• Senior Moment
« Reply #3025 on: November 28, 2016, 01:17:56 PM »
Watched saving private Ryan last night for the first time. Can't believe I've never seen it. cried all the way through. Amazing! Thumbs:

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #3026 on: November 28, 2016, 01:27:58 PM »
Watched saving private Ryan last night for the first time. Can't believe I've never seen it. cried all the way through. Amazing! Thumbs:

Thumbs:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Nick

« Reply #3027 on: November 28, 2016, 02:50:03 PM »
I could send her a link to something that would make her cry for weeks. Should I? rubschin:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #3028 on: November 28, 2016, 02:58:36 PM »
I could send her a link to something that would make her cry for weeks. Should I? rubschin:

Is it the story of the pope and the parrot...? ::)
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Nick

« Reply #3029 on: November 28, 2016, 04:22:40 PM »
Child  ::)
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile