Disgusterous

Author Topic: The Isetta Hyabusa and other manic engine mods  (Read 27465 times)

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
Re: The Isetta Hyabusa and other manic engine mods
« Reply #90 on: November 01, 2018, 09:54:21 PM »
Shove a jet into a Peel Trident?  eeek:

That said, it does look as if it would be fun to throw around a track...  cloud9:

http://youtu.be/NTJg3N-lsL4
noooo:

I was waiting to see someone try to give it a push start

Ok I admit the start wasn't awe inspiring but given how low you are sat once you are moving it must be a blast...  rubschin:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #91 on: November 01, 2018, 10:17:22 PM »

That said, it does look as if it would be fun to throw around a track...  cloud9:

noooo:

Ok I admit the start wasn't awe inspiring but given how low you are sat once you are moving it must be a blast...  rubschin:
No I was thinking someone would get their balls fried with the jet
Well, whatever, nevermind

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #92 on: November 01, 2018, 10:38:04 PM »

noooo:

The cynic in me suspects you need to see the outtakes for that scene  lol:

Something that did come up as a result of that video was a Jay Leno one about his Chrysler turbine car. They made 51 of these as a prototype back in the 60's. Comparable power to a standard petrol engine and can run on anything from standard fuel to perfume (one of the test cars was driven through France on Chanel No. 5 another ran on Jack Daniels). In the end Chrysler decided to end the project and destroy most of the cars because alternative fuel wasn't a thing back then but given that it is now why have they ignored a proven technology that they could easily update.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #93 on: November 01, 2018, 11:21:27 PM »

noooo:

Something that did come up as a result of that video was a Jay Leno one about his Chrysler turbine car. They made 51 of these as a prototype back in the 60's. Comparable power to a standard petrol engine and can run on anything from standard fuel to perfume (one of the test cars was driven through France on Chanel No. 5 another ran on Jack Daniels). In the end Chrysler decided to end the project and destroy most of the cars because alternative fuel wasn't a thing back then but given that it is now why have they ignored a proven technology that they could easily update.
Wouldn't the abysmal throttle response of a turbine have been an issue?

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #94 on: November 01, 2018, 11:30:14 PM »

noooo:

Something that could be updated with more modern technology?

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #95 on: November 01, 2018, 11:57:21 PM »

noooo:

Short of adding rockets (basically directed explosives) you won't get it.  Even with reheat spool up times on turbines are always an issue for throttle response.  Outside of the near constant speed Indy tracks they were useless in their short life in motorsport

Best you could do is have a turbine charging batteries and electric power

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #96 on: November 02, 2018, 12:41:32 AM »

noooo:

Short of adding rockets (basically directed explosives) you won't get it.  Even with reheat spool up times on turbines are always an issue for throttle response.  Outside of the near constant speed Indy tracks they were useless in their short life in motorsport

Looking at some of the figures I'm not so sure the lack of acceleration would be that big a drawback. Compare it to the Prius and there isn't that much between them, the figures for 0-60 for the first gen are slower than the Chrysler (12.9 seconds compared to 12). Even the newer models are only a couple of seconds faster (last years model manages 10.1 seconds) and that car has seen massive sales globally. Combine that with modern manufacturing processes and materials for the frame and chassis and you could reduce the car's weight enough for the turbine to be a realistic contender.

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #97 on: November 02, 2018, 09:30:12 AM »

noooo:

Looking at some of the figures I'm not so sure the lack of acceleration would be that big a drawback. Compare it to the Prius and there isn't that much between them, the figures for 0-60 for the first gen are slower than the Chrysler (12.9 seconds compared to 12). Even the newer models are only a couple of seconds faster (last years model manages 10.1 seconds) and that car has seen massive sales globally. Combine that with modern manufacturing processes and materials for the frame and chassis and you could reduce the car's weight enough for the turbine to be a realistic contender.
It’s the 0 to 20 response that’s ‘electric’ on a hybrid. Faster than my turbo nut mobile unless I put it in race start mode

And round towns it’s that 0 to 20 that’s more important. A turbine would be an obstacle even for bikes

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #98 on: November 02, 2018, 09:46:21 AM »

noooo:

It’s the 0 to 20 response that’s ‘electric’ on a hybrid. Faster than my turbo nut mobile unless I put it in race start mode

And round towns it’s that 0 to 20 that’s more important. A turbine would be an obstacle even for bikes

In that case a hybrid turbine sounds like it could be a winner.  rubschin:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #99 on: November 02, 2018, 01:55:29 PM »

noooo:

Wouldn't a Stirling cycle engine be better?  IIRC turbines are not exactly fuel efficient

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #100 on: November 02, 2018, 08:25:58 PM »

noooo:

Wouldn't a Stirling cycle engine be better?  IIRC turbines are not exactly fuel efficient

Possibly but I'm cynically aiming for the dozy celebrity green crowd who bought into the whole green eco car malarkey without considering the bloody massive carbon footprint caused by the manufacturing process. They would be the type who would clamour for a 'green shiny eco hybrid turbine car' and pay megabucks...  Sinister:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #101 on: November 02, 2018, 08:35:28 PM »
Oh yes there is a load of bollocks about green stuff

Reason we got a hybrid 4x4 was just about all to do with better mpg and that 0-20 response time.  That said it only does about 40mpg.  Must get a lighter right foot

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #102 on: May 22, 2019, 02:59:45 PM »

Drool:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...