Author Topic: Expense Claims...  (Read 25379 times)

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Re: Expense Claims...
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2009, 07:08:16 PM »
Bid to dissolve Parliament amid row

Quote from: Google
Dissolving Parliament could be the only way to rescue MPs' reputation amid growing public fury over the Westminster expenses gravy train, Gordon Brown has been warned.

With yet more senior politicians embroiled in the latest tranche of claims revelations, former Commons deputy Speaker Lord Naseby said an early general election was needed to save the "foundations of democracy".

The call came as the House authorities mounted a desperate rear-guard action to shore up trust in the allowances regime.

An independent audit unit is to be created - at a cost of £600,000 a year - to monitor claims.

Meanwhile, some "clean" MPs started venting their anger at colleagues for bringing the scandal upon them.

Lib Dem frontbencher Lynne Featherstone said she was "ashamed of my brethren", insisting they were getting "due punishment".

"You can or should be able, whatever your circumstances, be able to judge right from wrong," she told Sky News.

Labour backbencher Kate Hoey laid into millionaire tourism minister Barbara Follett for spending £25,000 on security patrols outside her Soho home.

"I would need to have someone really convince me that an MP can claim that amount of money for personal security, when I know that in my constituency I have women who walk home late at night who would love to have somebody paying for them to have personal security," she told BBC Radio 5 Live.

Source

Hang all of them...  eveilgrin:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2009, 06:47:21 AM »
A major alert and full-scale security operation was launched today after traces of morals were found in Westminster. Police were called and roads surrounding both No 10 and the Houses of Parliament were blocked off in what is believed to be one of the most serious incidents in recent history. However after 2 hours of going through  MP expense claims, the police forensic team concluded that it was a false alarm.

Detective Chief Inspector Richard Turpin of the Metropolitan Police says that it was all an elaborate hoax. "Whoever did this was a seasoned liar, an expert at deceiving people and very, very slippery. He or she has probably been a politician for many years."

Business Secretary Peter Mandelson gave this warning: "People like this are troublemakers. Neither they nor their morals have any place in a modern government.

It has now become pointless in revealing who has scammed what ( even if it is within the friggin rules) . All it shows is the widespread level of abuse that this ridiculous system has permitted for many many years and the inherent culture of greed that exists throughout  noooo:

Skubber

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2009, 06:52:44 AM »
A major alert and full-scale security operation was launched today after traces of morals were found in Westminster. Police were called and roads surrounding both No 10 and the Houses of Parliament were blocked off in what is believed to be one of the most serious incidents in recent history. However after 2 hours of going through  MP expense claims, the police forensic team concluded that it was a false alarm.

Detective Chief Inspector Richard Turpin of the Metropolitan Police says that it was all an elaborate hoax. "Whoever did this was a seasoned liar, an expert at deceiving people and very, very slippery. He or she has probably been a politician for many years."

Business Secretary Peter Mandelson gave this warning: "People like this are troublemakers. Neither they nor their morals have any place in a modern government.

It has now become pointless in revealing who has scammed what ( even if it is within the friggin rules) . All it shows is the widespread level of abuse that this ridiculous system has permitted for many many years and the inherent culture of greed that exists throughout  noooo:

Indeed... Vote Libertarian Miss D....  whistle:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Nick

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2009, 07:16:36 AM »
When are they going to get Balls and Cooper? Those two must be sweating!  eveilgrin:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2009, 09:48:12 AM »
Not as much as this chap:

Immigration minister Phil Woolas has threatened legal action over "disgusting" allegations he claimed for women's clothing, nappies and comics.

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2009, 09:56:28 AM »

Immigration minister Phil Woolas has threatened legal action over "disgusting" allegations he claimed for women's clothing, nappies and comics.

I can't wait to see what cartoonists are going to make of that.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2009, 09:59:47 AM »
Mr Woolas wants to get his facts right before he opens his mouth. He submitted a receipt or series of receipts as proof of his expense claims, some items on those receipts were claimable and some were not. No-one, to my knowledge, has said that he actually claimed for every item only that he failed to cross out the non qualifying items. Thus far we have not been told what was actually paid out and what was "disallowed" but given the apparent state of the checking system in the "Fees Office" it is a fair bet that some non-qualifying items will have slipped through UNLESS they had been clearly crossed out by the claimant. I, for one, hope that Woolas takes it to court and only then will we know anything approaching the full truth.

Meanwhile I stick to my original thoughts on the matter, that the "system" would never have been allowed in the commercial world, that MPs have written it for themselves and slowly, over a period of years, become aware what they could get away and have taken full advantage of it ~ I confess also that I am enjoying the "revelations" enormously. lol:
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2009, 10:14:36 AM »

I can't wait to see what cartoonists are going to make of that.

I expect the nappies will be a perfectly justifiable claim for MPs this week.
I mostly despair

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2009, 10:35:44 AM »
Wonder if anyone has put together a petition on the No. 10 website for MP's stating that MP's who have been on the make have to pay back the money they have scammed...
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2009, 10:57:15 AM »
Or taken off their pensions  8)
Skubber

Offline TG

• Fool Member
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2009, 11:27:25 AM »
Oh what a surprise:

"The Telegraph also has details of the expenses of Keith Vaz, a former minister who now chairs the home affairs select committee.
Mr Vaz reportedly claimed £75,000 for a Westminster flat although his family's home is 12 miles away in Stanmore."

The utter, utter bastard.  evil:

I think my cat wants to kill me...

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2009, 11:59:19 AM »
What did you expect?

The only surprise is that everyone is surprised.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2009, 11:59:44 AM »
Oh what a surprise:

"The Telegraph also has details of the expenses of Keith Vaz, a former minister who now chairs the home affairs select committee.
Mr Vaz reportedly claimed £75,000 for a Westminster flat although his family's home is 12 miles away in Stanmore."

Talking of utter, utter bastards!  cussing:

£100,000 home makeover for man in charge of MPs' expenses

Quote from: Times Online
Westminster authorities spent £100,000 on a lavish redecoration of the grace-and-favour house for the officer who oversees MPs’ expenses, The Times has discovered.

The property at 3 Parliament Street used by the Clerk, the Commons chief executive, received a top-of-the range makeover, with a £39,000 kitchen, bespoke furniture, including a “butler’s tray”, and granite work surfaces. The same inventory also lists two Ionic columns costing £963.

Source

Thirty-nine thousand Pounds for a fucking kitchen!  Explode:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2009, 12:08:43 PM »
Oh what a surprise:

Westminster authorities spent £100,000 on a lavish redecoration of the grace-and-favour house for the officer who oversees MPs’ expenses, The Times has discovered.

The property at 3 Parliament Street used by the Clerk, the Commons chief executive, received a top-of-the range makeover, with a £39,000 kitchen, bespoke furniture, including a “butler’s tray”, and granite work surfaces. The same inventory also lists two Ionic columns costing £963.

Source

If it helps your blood pressure he is a known shirtlifter who has three other homes that he shares with his boyfriend. One in South Africa, One in Portugal and One in Islington ~ These are in addition to the Grace and Favour property that the expenses refer to. He writes books (8 so far) and has worked for Parliament since joining the Commons Clerk's Department in 1967 when he left university ~ How the hell did he acquire that sort of money on Civil Service pay?

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2009, 12:10:14 PM »
Oh what a surprise:

Source

If it helps your blood pressure he is a known shirtlifter who has three other homes that he shares with his boyfriend. One in South Africa, One in Portugal and One in Islington ~ These are in addition to the Grace and Favour property that the expenses refer to. He writes books (8 so far) and has worked for Parliament since joining the Commons Clerk's Department in 1967 when he left university ~ How the hell did he acquire that sort of money on Civil Service pay?
Perhaps he works part time somewhere... as a rent boy...  whistle:
Pro Skub  Thumbs: