Disgusterous

Author Topic: Insurance claims  (Read 5605 times)

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
Insurance claims
« on: March 10, 2009, 05:37:28 PM »
When did this start happening?  evil:

I'm making a claim because someone reversed into my motor whilst parked. It's actually all very amicable, I've known him for years and he admitted the bump and it was on private property.
The claim's proceeding nicely ~ assessed, replacement vehicle on the way etc ~ when out of the blue his insurance company phone me up offering to put right everything, repair, provide hire car etc and... get this... imply that I might be liable if the value of the hire car is greater than equivalent to mine! Eh?  whacky115

Having told them politely to bugger off and deal with my insurance co. they then send me a letter today detailing their offer again!
Whilst the assessor was here this morning I asked him what he thought. He said they're all doing it now, trying to save costs by putting the work through their own network of repair shops and vehicle hire companies rather than paying out to another insurance company.

I have no problem with them running an efficient company and monitoring their costs, but when they start saying that declining their offer may result in me failing to mitigate the costs and end up in court... it sounds threatening...  evil: evil:

Well? Anyone else had this?

Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
Re: Insurance claims
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 08:00:44 PM »
It's a bluff, ignore them - tell your insurance company that this has happened.

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 08:12:33 PM »

Am doing, first thing tomorrow.

Really?  evil:

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 09:53:16 PM »
I have put "me bruv" on the case - he knows all things insurance. Can you wait until tomorrow (ish) when his hangover subsides?

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 10:14:46 PM »

Am doing, first thing tomorrow.

Really?  evil:

Saga don't insure anything ~ they are a club for the over fifties that negotiate block discounts for their members.
Anywhoo semantics aside ~ yes all the insurers are doing this ~ when it happened to me I sent their mail onto my insurers and said "Deal with this I can't be arsed, it is what I pay you for" My car was fixed and the courtesy vehicle offered was inappropriate so my insurers gave me a bigger one. No point in offering me a Micra when the vehicle in for repair was a 7 seat Zafira ~ where was I to put my additional passengers or did they think I drove a 7 seat Zafira for the fun of it etc etc
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 10:28:56 PM »
I refer the honourable hound to my previous response.

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 10:57:30 PM »
I have put "me bruv" on the case - he knows all things insurance. Can you wait until tomorrow (ish) when his hangover subsides?

I'd be interested to hear "bruv's" views, but will also let my insurance co. know tomorrow what the other buggers are up to. Mind you, they're prolly up to the same tricks  ::)

I'm inclined to put a copy of the letter in my neighbour's post box too; he might want to investigate further and ask Questions

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 11:28:10 PM »
Saga don't insure anything ~ they are a club for the over fifties that negotiate block discounts for their members.
Anywhoo semantics aside ~ yes all the insurers are doing this ~ when it happened to me I sent their mail onto my insurers and said "Deal with this I can't be arsed, it is what I pay you for" My car was fixed and the courtesy vehicle offered was inappropriate so my insurers gave me a bigger one. No point in offering me a Micra when the vehicle in for repair was a 7 seat Zafira ~ where was I to put my additional passengers or did they think I drove a 7 seat Zafira for the fun of it etc etc

Yep, Saga lost my business 12 months and 1 day after I turned 50 when they couldn't even match the competition. They still send me offers on cruising deals however...  shutup: ... if they only knew  happy001

The lass from my Ins. Co. was very understanding and insisted I wouldn't be palmed off with some tiny 3 door hatch...

Businessmen don't want to be seen turning up in that, do they Sir?
Well, probably not... but...
I'll make sure it's a decent replacement for you, Sir
That's very kind, but I'm not that bothered. I don't use it....
Leave it with us us, Sir.
I don't need a Hummer... or a 4x4 you understand?
No, we'll have something nice for you as a replacement.

I wait with bated breath  eeek:
Frankly it doesn't bother me one way or the other what they send out ~ my needs are unlike yours ~ but the leaning on by the other side is a disturbing issue.

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 12:08:24 AM »

I'd be interested to hear "bruv's" views, but will also let my insurance co. know tomorrow what the other buggers are up to. Mind you, they're prolly up to the same tricks  ::)

I'm inclined to put a copy of the letter in my neighbour's post box too; he might want to investigate further and ask Questions

Me bruv is a self-employed motor loss adjuster and thus not linked to a company spiel. What he will (eventually) spout forth will be diamonds and pearls of insurance-related wisdom. He might be a bit of a p-tank, but he knows his stuff.

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 08:48:11 AM »
Thanks.  happy088

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 10:31:55 AM »
Part of the problem must be that a huge repair industry has been built-up on the back of inflated repair charges for 'Insurance Jobs'...

It has always infuriated me that when you go to buy a second hand motor and spot a dent or scrape the response is always "That's nuffink mate, will take us abart five minutes to put that right like"...

But get a quote for an insurance job for the same dent it is loads of sucking air through teeth and huge lists of parts that need to be replaced and sprayed...

Arseholes.
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 09:01:02 PM »
I've had another letter... more verging on the intimidating language  evil:

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 07:58:40 AM »
Stick to your guns and just refer  everything to your own insurance company.
Confirm  with the letter writers that you will not be dealing with anybody directly and that you find the tone and language of their letters inappropriate and aggressive. You will of course also be notifying the Insurance Ombudsmen of this practice whistle:
Also notify your neighbour that dealing with this matter and his insurance company is taking a considerable amount of your time and that you are also being subjected to 'harassment' from the company.

Barstewards  evil:
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 09:18:45 AM by Miss Demeanor »
Skubber

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 09:12:12 AM »
Stick to your guns and just refer  everything to your own insurance company.
Confirm  witrh the letter writers that you will not be dealing with anybody directly and that you find the tone and language of their letters inappropiate and aggressive. You will of course also be notifying the Insurance Ombudsmen of this practice whistle:
Also notify your neighbour that dealing with this matter and his insurance company is taking a considerable amount of your time and that you are also being subjected to 'harrassment' from the company.

Barstewards  evil:

scared2:
I mostly despair

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2009, 09:17:32 AM »
That's a point - I'm only down the road  rubschin:

Pastis - happy to 'be present' during any discussions  whistle:

Skubber