Disgusterous

Author Topic: The day of "The Walk"  (Read 11026 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
Re: The day of "The Walk"
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2008, 01:57:01 PM »
December 2005:

Maya Evans was convicted for breaching the Parliament protest ban
Maya Evans wanted to ring a bell for every British soldier killed in Iraq
A peace campaigner has been convicted under a new law banning unauthorised protests from taking place within half a mile of Westminster.

Maya Anne Evans, 25, a vegan cook from Hastings, was found guilty of breaching Section 132 of the Serious Organised Crime and Police Act.

She was on her own, standing by the Cenotaph, reading the names of dead soldiers from a piece of paper and they used the Serious Organised Crime and Police Act against her.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2008, 01:59:40 PM »
This is getting quite serious now.
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2008, 02:01:25 PM »
No ~ it only gets serious when we do what the French do ~ Burn cars, tear up cobbles, break a few heads etc. Then we may be listened to.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2008, 02:03:25 PM »
An afterthought ~ If Guido, OH, TMR et al had not been blasting this all over the internet they might have got away with it but it will not take much to convince a court that this was indeed an organised protest that did not obtain a licence.

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2008, 02:04:03 PM »
It depends on how it is used Darwin. If it us done responsibly then it means the public is more aware of the consequences of political choices and abuses of trust by the people who we have elected. With the Blair and Brown governments we also saw the dark side of that potential, personality politics and the manipulation of the media in order to spin events their way.

As for the Serious Organised Crime and Police Act it is a good case in point. Originally spun as a tool against terrorism and organised crime we now see the abuses that tell the truth behind the lie.

Soon, if the communications database becomes a reality I can see sites such as this one coming under intense scrutiny just because people here have strong views against the government and its policies regardless of the fact that nothing that has been said on here is against the law.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2008, 02:06:35 PM »
Exactly.

The Thought Police are not far away.

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2008, 02:08:27 PM »
They are already here Snoop, the only saving grace at the moment is that the government are so incompetent when it comes to personal data that they are more like the Keystone Kops.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2008, 02:12:25 PM »
It depends on how it is used Darwin. If it us done responsibly then it means the public is more aware of the consequences of political choices and abuses of trust by the people who we have elected. With the Blair and Brown governments we also saw the dark side of that potential, personality politics and the manipulation of the media in order to spin events their way.

As for the Serious Organised Crime and Police Act it is a good case in point. Originally spun as a tool against terrorism and organised crime we now see the abuses that tell the truth behind the lie.

Soon, if the communications database becomes a reality I can see sites such as this one coming under intense scrutiny just because people here have strong views against the government and its policies regardless of the fact that nothing that has been said on here is against the law.

I offer no objection at all to making all information available to the populace at large and letting them make up their own minds.

However, I sought to point out that it is a double-edged sword because it can invoke both positive and negative feelings and consequences.

My big fear is that manipulation of opinion by skillful propagandists using the media will exploit the less educated population into doing the wrong things.

e.g. Germany in the 1930's.
I mostly despair

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2008, 02:15:36 PM »
And as a more recent example of the same thing the invasion of Iraq over so called 'weapons of mass destruction'. The sexing up of reports and suppression of information given to the media meant that there was enough popular backing for the attack that the long term ramifications were missed by the bulk of the public until it was too late.

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2008, 02:19:36 PM »
An afterthought ~ If Guido, OH, TMR et al had not been blasting this all over the internet they might have got away with it but it will not take much to convince a court that this was indeed an organised protest that did not obtain a licence.

True but why does peaceful organised protest require a licence anyway?

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2008, 02:22:27 PM »
Because the law passed by Nulabour says so ~ no other reason is needed.

Not what people voted for I'm sure butbthat's what they got.

Anywhoo ~ where are the reports of this? Nothing on the Google News pages, nothing on the BBC News website.

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2008, 02:24:02 PM »
That, Wenchy, is a question for your elected representative. Try it!
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2008, 02:24:46 PM »
True but why does peaceful organised protest require a licence anyway?

Basically its a stealth tax on the right to protest, which would also explain why people who dont have a licence are dealt with a hell of a lot faster then people who commit other 'crimes'.

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2008, 02:35:38 PM »
...where are the reports of this? Nothing on the Google News pages, nothing on the BBC News website.

There probably won't be. We only know because we have a 'connection'. I wonder how many other minor protests/arrests there are that we never get to hear about?

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2008, 02:39:34 PM »
Bugger!

And the Times no longer reports the London Magistrates hearings (mind they haven't for a good few years now)