Author Topic: Annual rant. Clocks  (Read 51744 times)

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
Re: Annual rant. Clocks
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2008, 09:29:19 AM »
Maybe he's an attraction?

I note:

extra hour of daylight in the winter months.

noooo:

In the EVENINGS.  Banghead

Why is everyone being so pedantic, when you all know what they really mean. ::)

Then that's what they should write!

Actually they, and you are right.

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2008, 09:52:41 AM »
They don't do their case any good by talking shite,like

They're not talking in here then? ::)

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2008, 09:56:16 AM »

Actually they, and you are right.
Good, that makes me feel not so much as a freaky outcast now. ::)

Another thing. Surely if the clocks stayed on BST, we would then be on the same time as most western European countries during the winter? That's got to be good for trade across the nations surely?  rubschin:

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2008, 10:19:50 AM »
So there. Told you I wasn't alone. razz:

Up to 80,000 jobs could be created in the tourism and leisure industries if clocks were not turned back an hour every October, a new report claims. 

The Policy Studies Institute report said £3 billion could be generated each year in the sectors, while fuel consumption in factories would be cut if there was an extra hour of daylight in the winter months.

Tourist activity would increase by up to 4%, creating between 60,000 and 80,000 jobs, according to the report's author, Dr Mayer Hillman.

The report, published ahead of this weekend's time change, said darker evenings brought increased demand for lighting and central heating.

The study was supported by the British Association of Leisure Parks Piers and Attractions (including GROWLER)  and the Tourism Alliance as a "bold but simple" way of boosting the economy.

I'm going to start a petition.

Why would they need an extra 80,000 people on November 1st if the clocks didn't go back...?  rubschin:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2008, 10:20:30 AM »
And all the people that they now employ to put the clocks back/forwards would lose their jobs...  sad24:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2008, 06:59:41 PM »

Why would they need an extra 80,000 people on November 1st if the clocks didn't go back...?  rubschin:

Because, most tourist attractions don't open until after 9:00, and during the summer many close at dusk for H&S reasons, meaning 3-4 pm in mid December, but 4-5 pm if they left the ruddy clocks alone, thus creating more working hours in the week requiring more staff and rotation.

I'll have to close my business at 3 pm on dreary dark December afternoons, as it can't be run in the dark, and I'm damned sure punters aren't going to arrive at 8:30 am to take advantage of the lighter mornings. noooo:
Hence, I personally could do more work and earn more if they stopped fannying around. cussing:

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2008, 05:26:47 AM »
80,000 extra jobs tho?  eeek: No way Pedro...  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

ice and a slice

« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2008, 06:26:37 AM »
I can't help myself, sorry, but I despair at this time of the year, I really do.
I'm not alone though.
The S.A.D season is upon us yet again.  sad32:

Why won't the leave the bloody clocks alone?
 If the jocks and cows desire it so much, then let them have it, but the rest of us want every available minute of daylight that we can possibly gleen from this already miserable enough rancid rip off country of ours surely?

There's always one exception though mind. ::)

What I don't get is why us in Cyprus have the clocks go back at the same time!  Can't be because of the jocks and cows from tartanland here - can it? eeek:

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2008, 06:36:08 AM »
I can't help myself, sorry, but I despair at this time of the year, I really do.
I'm not alone though.
The S.A.D season is upon us yet again.  sad32:

Why won't the leave the bloody clocks alone?
 If the jocks and cows desire it so much, then let them have it, but the rest of us want every available minute of daylight that we can possibly gleen from this already miserable enough rancid rip off country of ours surely?

There's always one exception though mind. ::)

What I don't get is why us in Cyprus have the clocks go back at the same time!  Can't be because of the jocks and cows from tartanland here - can it? eeek:
No Niki...  noooo:

It is to give the miserable Expats something to do two weekends in the year!  happy001
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2008, 07:35:02 AM »

Well I don't know. I'll have a think about that. They must have come to that conclusion some how?
I'll e mail them for an explanation if you like. ;)
Being a supporter of their arguements in favour of, I'm sure they'll reply.  whistle:

As for the cows not being happy about it, why? They get milked in the evening too surely, and since when have they insisted on being milked in daylight anyway?

No. It's just another government scam to get us to use more fuel to swell their coffers....bit like the traffic lights scam.

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2008, 07:56:04 AM »

Well I don't know. I'll have a think about that. They must have come to that conclusion some how?

97% of all statistics are made up...  ;)
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2008, 08:34:31 AM »
There.
E mail sent today. We'll wait and see if they reply. rubschin:

Dear Sir/Madam,

With reference to you recent report regarding the argument for the retention of B.S.T.

Whilst being totally in favour of leaving the clocks alone and supporting any campaign to retain BST all year 'round, it has to be  questioned as to how you actually arrived at the figures you have obtained?

Up to 80,000 jobs could be created in the tourism and leisure industries if clocks were not turned back an hour every October, a new report claims.

How did you come to this conclusion?

The Policy Studies Institute report said £3 billion could be generated each year in the sectors, while fuel consumption in factories would be cut if there was an extra hour of daylight in the winter months.

I can see quite clearly and agree vehemently regarding the reduction of the  nationwide fuel consumption that this government is continuously demanding from the great weary British public, as the vast majority of business's start up at 9:00 am or later, and would in fact gain an hour of daylight in the afternoons during working hours. However I'm intrigued and interested as to where exactly the extra 80,000 jobs and  the extra £3 billion of generated income will be coming from?

A full and comprehensive detailed explanation would be most welcome to further my arguments against the cynics that I regularly speak to, who are doubting your facts and figures.
I therefore look forward to receiving your prompt reply to further my vocal support for the case against GMT,

Yours faithfully,

Growler, My Time

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2008, 08:48:48 AM »
"Cynics"????  eeek:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2008, 08:55:59 AM »
"Cynics"????  eeek:

It was a tad difficult writing that werd tbh., but after many cups of tea during consideration, it had to be said. lol:

Humble apologies, but the truth often hurts.  sad32:

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2008, 09:00:38 AM »
"Cynics"????  eeek:

It was a tad difficult writing that werd tbh., but after many cups of tea during consideration, it had to be said. lol:

Humble apologies, but the truth often hurts.  sad32:
Cynic is my middle name Growler...  ;)
Pro Skub  Thumbs: