Disgusterous

Author Topic: The All New Book & DVD Review Thread (And Gift Hints)  (Read 411668 times)

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
Re: The All New Book & DVD Review Thread (And Gift Hints)
« Reply #2670 on: April 06, 2018, 12:47:15 PM »
Worked through season 1 of the new Star Trek series, Discovery. To badly quote McCoy, it's Trek Jim but not as we know it. In all honesty if they had removed all of the Trek references and based it upon a new IP it would probably have been a decent show but it doesn't fit in with the rest of the productions,  not even the reboots. Personally I think they would have been better off funding Axenar instead, though the cynic in me does wonder if CBS filched parts of their plot once they had shut them down.

Overall while flowing in fits and starts this version of seems to be about allowing temptation and human frailty to erode the idealistic values of Star Trek we’d become used to, before offering the chance for our heroes to take the difficult choice and do the right thing all over again. There are episodes that include attempted genocide, mutiny and forced experimentation on an arguably sentient being.... all committed by Starfleet - like I said, trek Jim but not as we know it.

One thing I will say is that the level of the writers ability to come up with plausible sounding technobabble needs some serious work. A new faster than light drive system powered by fungal spores that somehow connect to a network spanning the whole of creation allowing near instantaneous travel? Sounds like the kind of thing that Nick would start spouting off about having had too much collapsio...  noooo:

I may give the second season a look when it comes out if I haven't got anything else worth watching but I'm not waiting with baited breath
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #2671 on: April 06, 2018, 01:56:43 PM »
Worked through season 1 of the new Star Trek series, Discovery. To badly quote McCoy, it's Trek Jim but not as we know it. In all honesty if they had removed all of the Trek references and based it upon a new IP it would probably have been a decent show but it doesn't fit in with the rest of the productions,  not even the reboots. Personally I think they would have been better off funding Axenar instead, though the cynic in me does wonder if CBS filched parts of their plot once they had shut them down.

Overall while flowing in fits and starts this version of seems to be about allowing temptation and human frailty to erode the idealistic values of Star Trek we’d become used to, before offering the chance for our heroes to take the difficult choice and do the right thing all over again. There are episodes that include attempted genocide, mutiny and forced experimentation on an arguably sentient being.... all committed by Starfleet - like I said, trek Jim but not as we know it.

One thing I will say is that the level of the writers ability to come up with plausible sounding technobabble needs some serious work. A new faster than light drive system powered by fungal spores that somehow connect to a network spanning the whole of creation allowing near instantaneous travel? Sounds like the kind of thing that Nick would start spouting off about having had too much collapsio...  noooo:

I may give the second season a look when it comes out if I haven't got anything else worth watching but I'm not waiting with baited breath
Ta Not worth me subscribing to Netflix for then
Well, whatever, nevermind

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #2672 on: April 06, 2018, 02:05:18 PM »
There is some decent stuff on there such as the expanse, that's why I'm ploughing through as much as I can during the 30 day trial.  :thumbsup:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #2673 on: April 06, 2018, 03:24:35 PM »
We watched Star Trek the Undiscovered Country (last of the classic Star Treks) t'other day.  Holds up well after all this time.  I guess I'd hate Shatner if I ever met him but he was just right for that part.  Similarly the late Nimoy

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2674 on: April 06, 2018, 06:47:13 PM »
Voyage Home is funnier
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #2675 on: April 06, 2018, 07:39:51 PM »
Voyage Home is funnier
Agreed

What about that one where he asks "What does God need with a Starship?"   (Final Frontier methinks)

Wrath of Khan is the best, made on a tight budget so they had to concentrate on script and acting

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #2676 on: April 08, 2018, 02:08:18 PM »
Started watching Mars, a drama/documentary about the first Mars colonisation mission, having previously applied for Mars One (described by some of my family as a random act of insanity  lol: ) previously this show was one I've wanted to see since I first heard about it. Based upon the book 'How We'll Live on Mars' it's a clever mix of the story of the expedition in 2033 interspersed with documentary segments that investigate where we are currently in the quest to spread beyond our planet. Pairing fact and fiction in this way enhances the tension of the story as the different elements play off against each other and while the transition between the two elements isn't always seamless they are certainly thought provoking. Don't expect an action filled ride though, this is a slow considered exploration that is thought provoking and visually stunning and certainly worth looking at. 

The driving force behind this production, scientific curiosity about Mars notwithstanding, is that given the current rates of overpopulation and consumption colonising Mars may be essential for human survival. The documentary aspects of the series include interview footage with Elon Musk - the founder of Spacex, Andy Weir - author of The Martian and Stephen Petranek - author of How We'll Live on Mars, on which the series has been based as well as a wealth of astronauts and NASA scientists who all show us just how difficult and dangerous the undertaking will be. These interconnected segments cleverly show our current level of research and experimentation and how they are stepping stones on the path towards successful Martian colonisation covering aspects such as the Kelley twins experiment to show the long term effects of prolonged duration in space and the failed SpaceX rocket tests.

Overall Mars is a good production but it does have some flaws. The transition between documentary and narrative drama isn't always smooth and in some places feel like it is disconnected with the emotional aspects of the mission, it seems sterile not to mention overly optimistic that an international group could be founded in the way that the one in the series has. In fact that is the part of the series that I find the hardest to imagine, that by 2033 we have managed to band together and create an international federation that will send it's best and brightest on this daring one way mission to set up a camp on a world 140 million miles away.

It's certainly worth a look, especially if like Mort you are interested in space and science fiction.  :thumbsup:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #2677 on: April 08, 2018, 03:10:18 PM »
Started watching Mars, a drama/documentary about the first Mars colonisation mission, having previously applied for Mars One (described by some of my family as a random act of insanity  lol: ) previously this show was one I've wanted to see since I first heard about it. Based upon the book 'How We'll Live on Mars' it's a clever mix of the story of the expedition in 2033 interspersed with documentary segments that investigate where we are currently in the quest to spread beyond our planet. Pairing fact and fiction in this way enhances the tension of the story as the different elements play off against each other and while the transition between the two elements isn't always seamless they are certainly thought provoking. Don't expect an action filled ride though, this is a slow considered exploration that is thought provoking and visually stunning and certainly worth looking at. 

The driving force behind this production, scientific curiosity about Mars notwithstanding, is that given the current rates of overpopulation and consumption colonising Mars may be essential for human survival. The documentary aspects of the series include interview footage with Elon Musk - the founder of Spacex, Andy Weir - author of The Martian and Stephen Petranek - author of How We'll Live on Mars, on which the series has been based as well as a wealth of astronauts and NASA scientists who all show us just how difficult and dangerous the undertaking will be. These interconnected segments cleverly show our current level of research and experimentation and how they are stepping stones on the path towards successful Martian colonisation covering aspects such as the Kelley twins experiment to show the long term effects of prolonged duration in space and the failed SpaceX rocket tests.

Overall Mars is a good production but it does have some flaws. The transition between documentary and narrative drama isn't always smooth and in some places feel like it is disconnected with the emotional aspects of the mission, it seems sterile not to mention overly optimistic that an international group could be founded in the way that the one in the series has. In fact that is the part of the series that I find the hardest to imagine, that by 2033 we have managed to band together and create an international federation that will send it's best and brightest on this daring one way mission to set up a camp on a world 140 million miles away.

It's certainly worth a look, especially if like Mort you are interested in space and science fiction.  :thumbsup:
:thumbsup:

I bet it's NetFlix only though

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #2678 on: April 08, 2018, 07:38:30 PM »

It's also available on Amazon but it isn't free.  noooo:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #2679 on: April 08, 2018, 08:19:46 PM »

Ta

£11 for the series  rubschin:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #2680 on: April 08, 2018, 08:50:14 PM »

Ta

In all honesty if you aren't sure about it give the netflix 30 free trial a go and save the cash.

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #2681 on: April 08, 2018, 08:56:32 PM »

Ta

In all honesty if you aren't sure about it give the netflix 30 free trial a go and save the cash.
Could do but it'd have to be in her name as I've already had a 30 day freebie with NetFlix

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #2682 on: April 29, 2018, 07:56:29 PM »
Been to see Avengers Infinity War pt 1...

Having heard the news about some of the cast not wanting to renew contracts I knew that these 2 films would be used to cull people but bloody Hell, they aren't pulling any punches when it comes to killing major characters off...  eeek:

It's difficult to give a review of this film without giving away any spoilers but this is the culmination of an arc that started back in 2008 with the first Iron Man film with each successive production leaving breadcrumbs to tease the larger plot going on in the background. And now, with the Avengers dealing with the consequences of the civil war and Thor trying to find a new home for the survivors of Asgard after Ragnarok, the big bugger himself has arrived. Josh Brolin has been perfectly cast as Thanos, the insane Warmonger who has decided that in the interest of balance half of the universe's population has to be eradicated and who will stop at nothing to achieve his goal no matter the cost. This has led him to search for the infinity stones, six gems of unimaginable power, some of which have already made their appearance such as the Tesseract and the Mind Stone that brought Vision to life.

The scale of this film is far and above anything in the MCU that has been released so far but even with this massive apocalyptic storyline there is a very human element in there as well, with a subplot of sacrifice to protect the universe which goes about as well as you'd expect.

I haven't seen an audience leave a screen in almost complete silence until now. If you have enjoyed the Marvel films so far then this is a must watch.  :thumbsup:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #2683 on: April 29, 2018, 10:23:25 PM »
Been to see Avengers Infinity War pt 1...

Having heard the news about some of the cast not wanting to renew contracts I knew that these 2 films would be used to cull people but bloody Hell, they aren't pulling any punches when it comes to killing major characters off...  eeek:

It's difficult to give a review of this film without giving away any spoilers but this is the culmination of an arc that started back in 2008 with the first Iron Man film with each successive production leaving breadcrumbs to tease the larger plot going on in the background. And now, with the Avengers dealing with the consequences of the civil war and Thor trying to find a new home for the survivors of Asgard after Ragnarok, the big bugger himself has arrived. Josh Brolin has been perfectly cast as Thanos, the insane Warmonger who has decided that in the interest of balance half of the universe's population has to be eradicated and who will stop at nothing to achieve his goal no matter the cost. This has led him to search for the infinity stones, six gems of unimaginable power, some of which have already made their appearance such as the Tesseract and the Mind Stone that brought Vision to life.

The scale of this film is far and above anything in the MCU that has been released so far but even with this massive apocalyptic storyline there is a very human element in there as well, with a subplot of sacrifice to protect the universe which goes about as well as you'd expect.

I haven't seen an audience leave a screen in almost complete silence until now. If you have enjoyed the Marvel films so far then this is a must watch.  :thumbsup:
;D  cheers Meister  :thumbsup:

We were going to leave it til it comes on Sky but with that review . . . . .

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2684 on: May 13, 2018, 02:01:44 PM »
Watched some good movies today (legally!  eeek:) I really enjoyed both The Post and Journeyman:thumbsup:
Pro Skub  Thumbs: